Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Phone Cradle Power

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 11:31 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

I have opted to get a cradle installed for my SE T637 as I find a limited battery life using BT. The dealership has installed the adapter and the cradle but are not able to measure power at the phone. There is electrical continuity in the power cable between its source and the cradle. No power is being provided by the vehicle to the cradle.

My search of the forums has found that people have changed the cradle to solve this problem but my issue does not appear to be cradle related. Have any members had any success in resolving this problem with alternate solutions?

My SA has opened a PUMA case with BMW CA but has not had any response as yet.

Advice would be appreciated.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:30 PM
Senior Members

Interesting, I have the same issue with my v551 bt phone, eats up the battery really quickly (would last on the drive between Calgary and Edmonton) ...

So I to will be getting my cradle install in two weeks ... I'll let you know if I have any problems but please let me know if you get your problem solved and what the solution was!
Old 06-09-2005, 01:59 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ademitt' date='Jun 8 2005, 02:31 PM
I have opted to get a cradle installed for my SE T637 as I find a limited battery life using BT.? The dealership has installed the adapter and the cradle but are not able to measure power at the phone.? There is electrical continuity in the power cable between its source and the cradle.? No power is being provided by the vehicle to the cradle.

My search of the forums has found that people have changed the cradle to solve this problem but my issue does not appear to be cradle related.? Have any members had any success in resolving this problem with alternate solutions??

[snapback]137676[/snapback]
According to my SA the 2004 model year cars do not have the appropriate wiring for the cradle and it can't be installed. He gave me a copy of the bulletin. I can scan it if you want to see it.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by Member545' date='Jun 9 2005, 03:59 PM
[quote name='ademitt' date='Jun 8 2005, 02:31 PM']I have opted to get a cradle installed for my SE T637 as I find a limited battery life using BT.? The dealership has installed the adapter and the cradle but are not able to measure power at the phone.? There is electrical continuity in the power cable between its source and the cradle.? No power is being provided by the vehicle to the cradle.

My search of the forums has found that people have changed the cradle to solve this problem but my issue does not appear to be cradle related.? Have any members had any success in resolving this problem with alternate solutions??

[snapback]137676[/snapback]
According to my SA the 2004 model year cars do not have the appropriate wiring for the cradle and it can't be installed. He gave me a copy of the bulletin. I can scan it if you want to see it.
[snapback]138033[/snapback]
[/quote]
I was about to say the same thing but could not remember the cutoff date (03/2004 or 04/2004). The '04s can be retrofited for bluetooth functionality, but some build dates cannot use cradles.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

Originally Posted by Member545' date='Jun 9 2005, 03:59 PM

Yes please post a copy or provide the SB number so I can get it from my tech.
Old 06-11-2005, 07:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by ademitt' date='Jun 10 2005, 11:36 AM
[quote name='Member545' date='Jun 9 2005, 03:59 PM']

Yes please post a copy or provide the SB number so I can get it from my tech.
[snapback]138262[/snapback]
[/quote]
Oops it was a newer bulletin.

Here it is plus a diagnostic bulletin.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
TISfor_Blutooth2.pdf (134.3 KB, 124 views)
File Type: pdf
TISfor_Blutooth.pdf (74.6 KB, 144 views)
Old 06-13-2005, 03:50 PM
Contributors

Thanks for the SB's. It appears that there is something up with the wiring on the early production E60's that will not let the cradle get power. I believe that the wiring harnesses are slightly different as there is power at different pins than the wiring schematics for the car indicate. After five days of trying to get it working, we gave up this afternoon. Without proper wiring schematics the tech was unable to get power to the cradle.

Canada545, If your car was produced as a 05 or 06 MY, you should be able to get the cradle to work.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:45 AM
Members

If you were feeling gutsy, you could wire a cig. socket charger into the cradle connector, and connect that to the back of the cig. socket under the rear vents.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006, US Spec, 530i, Silver Gray, Black leather, Anthricite headliner, Steptronic, Navi Pro, PDC, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, Rear Shades, Folding Rear Seats, Bluetooth w/Blackberrt Torch, AUX Input, Bi-Xenon, AIB Angel Eyes w/matching fogs, summer wheels R118 w/PS2 tires, winter wheels R138 w/Michelin PA3 snows

I'm also looking to install the cradle, bracket and snap-in adapter into my ride. Is there an online site to purchase these items or must the dealer do the install?
Old 06-14-2005, 11:08 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bobr2001' date='Jun 14 2005, 12:20 PM
I'm also looking to install the cradle, bracket and snap-in adapter into my ride. Is there an online site to purchase these items or must the dealer do the install?
[snapback]139424[/snapback]
You could purchase the parts online from a number of sources (Pacific, Circle, etc) but you would need to know all the part numbers. You could do the install as well as much of this has been covered in the DIY Forum here on E60.net. I am not sure I have seen a 100 % successful install without some help from the dealer, but I could easily be wrong there. Since I have 645 my parts list is not exact the same as yours would be (cradle the same for same phone, but trim pieces obviously different) Part numbers have been listed before by ledbettm (not sure I got his Member name correct) and maybe one or two others.

Quick Reply: Phone Cradle Power