Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

phone compatibilty overview

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 04:33 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello guys and girls

After searching this forum several times with regards to compability issues I suggest we make a table. I've attached a word file with my experience, and I would urge everyone else to contribute with your experience. This way we could make it easier for our selves.

Please don't mess up this thread with off topic talk.

Download file, update it, and post the new version in this thread.

Your input will be appreciated!
Attached Files
File Type: doc
BT.doc (35.5 KB, 276 views)
Old 08-06-2007, 06:37 PM
Contributors

Bob:

In the USA, you would have to list each carrier and each phone model, because the Bluetooth profiles are carrier controlled. Here is how Verizon does it:

http://support.vzw.com/how_to_use/bl...h_car_kit.html
Old 08-08-2007, 02:17 AM
Contributors

Brand Phone Receive call Make call Phone book Transfer CIP version BMW cradle
nokia 6230i yes yes yes - 1 per contact 21-24 yes
Old 08-09-2007, 05:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

I think you should add a few columns. One for signal strength meter (yes/no). Another for "number tagging" - whether individual entries carry the office, work, mobile tags from the phone's phonebook into the car's phonebook.

IMO, the car's firmware isn't as important to report as the phone handset's firmware version. I'd add a column for the phone firmware version as well.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:22 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='457245' date='Aug 9 2007, 09:57 PM
I think you should add a few columns. One for signal strength meter (yes/no). Another for "number tagging" - whether individual entries carry the office, work, mobile tags from the phone's phonebook into the car's phonebook.

IMO, the car's firmware isn't as important to report as the phone handset's firmware version. I'd add a column for the phone firmware version as well.
The software on the E60 doesn't make use of multiple numbers per contact (office, work, mobile). What you do get is all of the contact listings displayed on the IDrive, which isn't helpful unless you can associate them somehow.

While the phone firmware is obviously important, the Bluetooth Profiles supported by the handset are the end result. The E60 requires the Bluetooth Synchronization Profile. No cell phone lacking that profile will allow phonebook transfer / sync. You can usually look up the BT profiles on your carriers website. The Bluetooth.org website is not helpful, since many carriers are putting their own firmware on the phones now.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by wnrussell' post='457356' date='Aug 10 2007, 08:22 AM
The software on the E60 doesn't make use of multiple numbers per contact (office, work, mobile). What you do get is all of the contact listings displayed on the IDrive, which isn't helpful unless you can associate them somehow.

While the phone firmware is obviously important, the Bluetooth Profiles supported by the handset are the end result. The E60 requires the Bluetooth Synchronization Profile. No cell phone lacking that profile will allow phonebook transfer / sync. You can usually look up the BT profiles on your carriers website. The Bluetooth.org website is not helpful, since many carriers are putting their own firmware on the phones now.

You may not have accurate information. The E60 does in fact make use of multiple numbers per contact. My phone and car are living proof. I have one contact entry for each person on my phone, and some have multiple number entries - work, home, cell, etc... You are right that the car will not permit one name entry with multiple phone numbers, but it can display more than one name/number pair along with auto-generated tags from the phonebook to associate them properly.

I use a Motorola Q on Verizon. As I stated, a new firmware on the phone gave me more functionality:

With the old -PHONE- firmware, these all showed up as separate names and numbers only:

_________Make-believe examples_______

Bob Smith - 123-456-7890
Bob Smith - 234-456-8901

With the new -PHONE- firmare (no change to car firmware), the same entries showed up as:

Bob Smith - 123-456-7890 (W)
Bob Smith - 234-456-8901 ?

I am quite familiar with profiles - my first post in this thread was meant to illustrate that there is a continuum of richness... along which all the implemented profile iterations can be placed. Some are richer and more capable than others even though they all "adhere to spec". This can be phone dependent, OS dependent, version dependent, etc...

However, it would seem that the car does not need to be made more intelligent to take advantage of a phone/profile that gets smarter.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:06 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='458236' date='Aug 13 2007, 02:52 PM
_________Make-believe examples_______

Bob Smith - 123-456-7890
Bob Smith - 234-456-8901

With the new -PHONE- firmare (no change to car firmware), the same entries showed up as:

Bob Smith - 123-456-7890 (W)
Bob Smith - 234-456-8901 ?
I understand; that's quite a bit different from what I have seen, with the special characters. My Motorola Q did not do that, but I returned it. My brand new Motorola Maxx Ve doesn't do it either.

What other Motorola phones do this, or is there a CIP setting?
Old 08-13-2007, 02:19 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by wnrussell' post='458243' date='Aug 13 2007, 03:06 PM
I understand; that's quite a bit different from what I have seen, with the special characters. My Motorola Q did not do that, but I returned it. My brand new Motorola Maxx Ve doesn't do it either.

What other Motorola phones do this, or is there a CIP setting?

I do not know, but my Q only did it -after- I downloaded and installed the new Q firmware from the Motorola site.

I just took this shot of my screen. The first entry is a different person, but the last 3 are the same guy - 2 work contacts and 1 mobile.

Old 08-13-2007, 03:56 PM
Contributors

Has anybody else seen this on their IDrive? UUront, where are you from? It looks like you have SMS also.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:08 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by wnrussell' post='458330' date='Aug 13 2007, 07:56 PM
Has anybody else seen this on their IDrive? UUront, where are you from? It looks like you have SMS also.
I am in the DC area. I do not believe that I have SMS. I think that the "Net.search" in the left corner is simply saying that it hasn't completed the handset search/download activity. Once it completes, it has the name of my handset there.

Quick Reply: phone compatibilty overview