Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Okay--what's wrong? The ATT Network or the iPHone/BT interface?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 01:20 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When connected in the glovebox (MOST interface) on my '06, the ipod works perfect, but the phone connection is extremely poor when talking over bluetooth--it breaks up quite a bit...the other side can hear fine, but my side can't.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Oh yeah, and Cingular/ATT SUCKS when it comes to their EDGE network compared with T-Mobile's GSM network. Bummer.

Can't even connect to safari or download mail over EDGE half the time.

Anyone else having the same experiences?
Old 07-02-2007, 02:37 PM
Senior Members

I cancelled my AT&T/Cingular account beginning of this year. One a best decisions I made in awhile. Their reception and costumer service blows.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:06 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Jed Peter' post='442680' date='Jul 2 2007, 02:20 PM
Oh yeah, and Cingular/ATT SUCKS when it comes to their EDGE network compared with T-Mobile's GSM network. Bummer.

Network issue. It's back up right now and lightning fast. Turns out the Erickson servers went down in all major US metro areas.

Oh well.

The network is fine....it's all about where you live and where you travel. For me, there's a site at pretty much my home and most all areas that I travel.

So that's good.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:35 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i, 1995 318ic retired circa 1970 2002, , circa 1985 320, 1998 528i, 1998 740i

Originally Posted by Jed Peter' post='442680' date='Jul 2 2007, 04:20 PM

You are mixing apples and oranges. Both T Mobile and ATT use GSM which is what most of the world uses. Edge is the data network which is being replaced by 3G.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:07 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07' 550i sport; Sapphire Black/Auburn; sport package; steptronic; navigation with R.T.T.I.; heads up; cold weather package; Logic-7; BMW MOST ipod kit; Motorola V3 snap-in adapter; rear heated seats and rear shades; anthracite headliner; sirrius sat. radio; M-aero kit; OEM style 166 Wheels with 245/35-19 front and 285/30-19 rear Michelin PS2s.

Originally Posted by Jed Peter' post='442680' date='Jul 2 2007, 05:20 PM
When connected in the glovebox (MOST interface) on my '06, the ipod works perfect, but the phone connection is extremely poor when talking over bluetooth--it breaks up quite a bit...the other side can hear fine, but my side can't.

As to the poor reception via BT, yes. As for the EDGE, it is what it is. They will have a 3G iphone and/or some new technology coming to AT&T to improve the network. My concern is call clarity. Someone needs to address iphone compatibility with pre 3/07 BMWs. I don't want to use a cord to charge my phone in the car. And when you connect the iphone in the glovebox to the ipod interface it reads "incompatible". I'm not going to push my luck. I would buy a new iphone interface that charged, played the ipod and boosted reception in a hot second. Hopefully this will be an option at some point. My old car (9/06 build w/RTTI) can't keep pace with new technology....lol.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

try unpairing and then repairing your phone. I was having the same problem and now it's fixed.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

That's what you get for using late 20th century technology... I saw my first EDGE demo at Ericsson back in the late 90s. As for the person saying "all of Ericsson's stuff went down" really sends the wrong message. Regardless of the hardware vendor, it was AT&T's network that went down.

AT&T also has 3G UMTS HSDPA in limited markets, but it's fairly weak - the slowest iteration of the spec. UMTS uses different spectrum bands in EU and Asia compared to the US - so it's no wonder that the iPhone is GSM/EDGE. It needed to be usable in the widest possible area, and GSM/EDGE is the most prevalent technology.

At least in the US, EVDO Rev A rules the roost for data. Sprint's Mobile WiMax (802.16e - 4G) deployment slated for late this year will "raise the bar" and likely make them the king of the hill for the time being. http://www2.sprint.com/mr/news_dtl.do?id=12960 Sprint is in a good position after the acquisition of Nextel. Nextel purchased a large block of MMDS spectrum from Worldcom during the bankruptcy proceedings - spectrum that Worldcom had wanted to marry with Sprint's back when they tried (and failed) to acquire Sprint. The Sprint-Nextel merger combined the very same spectrum - only back then people were thinking it would be used for 3G. Now we'll be seeing 4G deployments by the end of the year.

With that said, all the various wireless technologies are moving towards their respective 4G evolutionary stages, utilizing OFDM and delivering ~100Mbits/sec within a few years. Once this happens, there will be very little difference between UMTS, Mobile Wimax, and EVDO.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:34 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 550isport' post='443035' date='Jul 3 2007, 02:07 PM
As to the poor reception via BT, yes. As for the EDGE, it is what it is. They will have a 3G iphone and/or some new technology coming to AT&T to improve the network. My concern is call clarity. Someone needs to address iphone compatibility with pre 3/07 BMWs. I don't want to use a cord to charge my phone in the car. And when you connect the iphone in the glovebox to the ipod interface it reads "incompatible". I'm not going to push my luck. I would buy a new iphone interface that charged, played the ipod and boosted reception in a hot second. Hopefully this will be an option at some point. My old car (9/06 build w/RTTI) can't keep pace with new technology....lol.
So the iPhone does not work with the iPod adaptor that uses the cd changer input? I thought someone said it did? Anyone else care to comment? I know its compatible with the USB iPod.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:07 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by acribb' post='443182' date='Jul 3 2007, 11:34 PM
So the iPhone does not work with the iPod adaptor that uses the cd changer input? I thought someone said it did? Anyone else care to comment? I know its compatible with the USB iPod.
I can confirm that it doesn't seem to work with the Aux port....
Old 07-04-2007, 05:35 AM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

Originally Posted by jksanford' post='443295' date='Jul 4 2007, 07:07 AM
I can confirm that it doesn't seem to work with the Aux port....
No, it most certainly does work with the aux port, but you need to ensure that you have a 1/8" plug that properly fits in iPhone's recessed port. You may need an adapter to ensure this:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebO...nMore=TN546LL/A

It also works with the iPod adapter, at least for several people who have tried it on the forums.

Quick Reply: Okay--what's wrong? The ATT Network or the iPHone/BT interface?