Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Nokia & Bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 10:19 AM
NES
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone. I'm having a dilemma here. I thought I was convinced on buying a Moto Razr for my e60 which is coming soon, but when I went to see the phone I just couldnt see myself with it. I love my Nokia 6230 with my memory card feature. I have version 3.24 and I beelive a version 5x or greater is needed to pair perfectly with the e60. My question is this:

Has anyone in the states performed a software upgrade for their Nokia? If so where have you done this?

I called a few places and they said that they couldnt. I really dont want to send my phone to Nokia service; they took 8 months with my last phone to repair, and send back to me. Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!
Old 05-26-2005, 11:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride:

The website at:

www.clubnokia.com

lists all the UK service centres where you can get your handset re-flashed.

I just got my 6310i and 6239i done locally - it takes about 15 minutes.

Maybe the site also lists service centre addresses in the US..?

Andy
Old 05-26-2005, 03:00 PM
Contributors

I am in the same boat and here is what I know...

1) Cingular will not allow the upgrade to V5.24 as they have not approved it.

2)Supposedly, there are only a few Nokia 'Level 3' centers that can do the upgrade. It has to be sent in to one of them.

I also tried using a RAZR and hated it-but then I have always hated flip phones.
I just sent my 6230 to Nokia in Melbourne Florida. When I spoke to Nokia CS I told them that while it was a Cingular phone, it was unlocked and that I use it with T-Mobile. He said just put it in writing, and send it in. I was notified today that they rec'd it Tuesday, did the upgrade and have sent it back. I gave them my fedex # for return.
I can let you know how it works when I get it back if you like.

Also...Motorola has a new phone coming out that is basically a non-flip Razr, called SLVR.
Looks promising, but I am hoping my 6230 will now work....It is simply the best phone I have ever used.

tcmalibu

Originally Posted by NES' date='May 26 2005, 11:19 AM
Hey everyone.? I'm having a dilemma here.? I thought I was convinced on buying a Moto Razr for my e60 which is coming soon, but when I went to see the phone I just couldnt see myself with it.? I love my Nokia 6230 with my memory card feature.? I have version 3.24 and I beelive a version 5x or greater is needed to pair perfectly with the e60.? My question is this:

Has anyone in the states performed a software upgrade for their Nokia? If so where have you done this??

I called a few places and they said that they couldnt.? I really dont want to send my phone to Nokia service; they took 8 months with my last phone to repair, and send back to me.? Any information is greatly appreciated.? Thanks so much!?
[snapback]133459[/snapback]
Old 05-26-2005, 05:34 PM
NES
Members

Originally Posted by tcmalibu' date='May 26 2005, 07:00 PM
I am in the same boat and here is what I know...

1) Cingular will not allow the upgrade to V5.24 as they have not approved it.

2)Supposedly, there are only a few Nokia 'Level 3' centers that can do the upgrade. It has to be sent in to one of them.

I also tried using a RAZR and hated it-but then I have always hated flip phones.
I just sent my 6230 to Nokia in Melbourne Florida. When I spoke to Nokia CS I told them that while it was a Cingular phone, it was unlocked and that I use it with T-Mobile. He said just put it in writing, and send it in. I was notified today that they rec'd it Tuesday, did the upgrade and have sent it back. I gave them my fedex # for return.
I can let you know how it works when I get it back if you like.

Also...Motorola has a new phone coming out that is basically a non-flip Razr, called SLVR.
Looks promising, but I am hoping my 6230 will now work....It is simply the best phone I have ever used.

tcmalibu
tc, you hit it right on the money! I hate flip phones as well, and this phone has been the absolute best I have had ever! And I have had many, mostly because of loss, but thats another story. Anyhow, please do let me know what is going on with your upgrade. I am exactly in the same boat as you are... Using Cingular unlocked phone for tmobile... I am just worried about sending it in to Nokia, but if it truly works then I will absolutely do just that. Please do keep me updated and I want to thank you for the information. If it works I will send in the letter as well written as required so no time is wasted. Thanks again, and hope to hear from you after receipt of your phone.
Old 05-28-2005, 07:28 AM
Contributors

OK, so it was too good to be true

I got the 6230 back and they DID NOT and WILL NOT do an upgrade!
Based on the phones serial # they see that it is deignated as a cingular phone, and cingular has blocked all upgrades.

However, there is hope - it simply costs money. Word is the new Nokia 6230i is fully compatible. While it is not available in the US, you can get one on Ebay, which is what I am doing.

I have to tell you that I switched to Cingular from T-Mobile a short time ago, and I am thinking I made the wrong decision - I seem to have more problems with evrything around them...I should have my 6230i this week - I will let you know.
Old 05-29-2005, 10:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride:

Originally Posted by tcmalibu' date='May 28 2005, 04:28 PM
Word is the new Nokia 6230i is fully compatible. While it is not available in the US, you can get one on Ebay, which is what I am doing.

[snapback]134038[/snapback]
tcmalibu

I just took delivery of my new E61 on Friday and paired it with my NOKIA 6230i running v3.23 firmware and can report that it worked 100% first time in all respects (although I don't see an SMS option - BMW clearly state that this is not yet supoported).

They do publish that for guaranteed compatability you need it flashed to v3.30 but from my first experience that may not necessarily be the case. Anyway my local NOKIA service centre has not been trained to work on this model yet so they told me I had to wait 2-3 weeks...

It works like a dream and re/de-pairs within 5 seconds of ignition on/off.

Now I just need to wait for BMW to release the snap-in adapter and I'm all set.

Regards
Andy - Newport, UK
Old 05-30-2005, 12:06 AM
NES
Members

Oh man, I hope it works with the 6230i at least... ustronics.com has it for sale as well. Please let me know...Thanks so much by the way.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:08 AM
NES
Members

Originally Posted by Andy E61' date='May 30 2005, 02:09 AM
tcmalibu

I just took delivery of my new E61 on Friday and paired it with my NOKIA 6230i running v3.23 firmware and can report that it worked 100% first time in all respects (although I don't see an SMS option - BMW clearly state that this is not yet supoported).?

They do publish that for guaranteed compatability you need it flashed to v3.30 but from my first experience that may not necessarily be the case. Anyway my local NOKIA service centre has not been trained to work on this model yet so they told me I had to wait 2-3 weeks...?

It works like a dream and re/de-pairs within 5 seconds of ignition on/off.

Now I just need to wait for BMW to release the snap-in adapter and I'm all set.?

Regards
Andy - Newport, UK
[snapback]134412[/snapback]
I probably am incorrect on this assesment, however European idrive models tend to pair/compatible with many more phones. Can anyone confirm if this is true?