Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Nokia 9500 Communicator and BMW Blue Tooth

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004 | 03:56 AM
Members

Well,

Some good news. I got a new Nokia 9500 communicator. Paired very nicely with the BMW ULF. No problems whatsoever in pairing. Used it for a few calls entering numbers on Idrive. No problems. Call quality is great. Voice control works. Incoming calls show number on Idrive screen.

Only thing missing is phonebook sync. Tried for a few minutes. No go. Switched phonebook to SIM, still no go. Will try sending the phone book manually later today and update this post.

Overall a very encouraging start for using this phone with BM BT. If anyone has similar experiences please let me know.

A very god source of info and hope for possible future fixes is the Nokia 616 BT carkit which works in a very similar fashion to BMW BT.

./sherif
Old 12-09-2004 | 11:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by Sherif' date='Dec 9 2004, 05:56 AM
Well,

Some good news. I got a new Nokia 9500 communicator. Paired very nicely with the BMW ULF. No problems whatsoever in pairing. Used it for a few calls entering numbers on Idrive. No problems. Call quality is great. Voice control works. Incoming calls show number on Idrive screen.

Only thing missing is phonebook sync. Tried for a few minutes. No go. Switched phonebook to SIM, still no go. Will try sending the phone book manually later today and update this post.

Overall a very encouraging start for using this phone with BM BT. If anyone has similar experiences please let me know.

A very god source of info and hope for possible future fixes is the Nokia 616 BT carkit which works in a very similar fashion to BMW BT.

./sherif
[snapback]66939[/snapback]
Sherif, you need to be patient. In my experience the first time the address book loads takes as long as 20 minutes of inactivity. i.e. you cannot tie up the BT link with a phone call and should probably resist the urge to see if the address book has arrived on the I-drive. This uses the link too. Thereafter changes to the address book update to the car quickly. Try this both with the phonebok on the phone and on the SIM. For me they are on the phone. You can always copy them all to the SIM if needed.
Old 12-09-2004 | 11:48 PM
Members

Hormazd,

I actually tried it with just two contacts in each book. I left it for quite a while and still no go. I tried sending those contacts manually. Still no go. I might be doing something wrong with the manual send. have you done this before? Can anyone provide some detail about sending the phonebook manually. I might be missing something here.

./sherif
Old 12-10-2004 | 06:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by Sherif' date='Dec 10 2004, 01:48 AM
Hormazd,

I actually tried it with just two contacts in each book. I left it for quite a while and still no go. I tried sending those contacts manually. Still no go. I might be doing something wrong with the manual send. have you done this before? Can anyone provide some detail about sending the phonebook manually. I might be missing something here.

./sherif
[snapback]67386[/snapback]
No manual send is neccessary. Just be out of the Bluetooth screen. The instructions posted said after pairing leave the screen and turn off the car. Then After turning on the car the address book transfers.

Are you sure your Egyptian manufactured BMW has the right software version and ULF?
Old 12-10-2004 | 06:54 AM
Senior Members

Good thing that your Nokia is able to pair with the car!

This hasn't been the case with most other Symbian OS Nokias.
Old 12-10-2004 | 10:41 AM
Members

Hormazd,

The car is a locally assembled E60. From what I have seen the bluetooth is a ULF module that has worked flawlessly with the included Nokia 6310i and K700i. Idrive version is not mentioned anywhere on the car. However, I believe it is a very recent version since most of the new features discussed here on the forum as new have been in the car from day one. Even some of the issues people have been complaining about such as five rings with BT etc.. have not shown up on my car. The reason I was asking about the manual transfer is that the phone book has not shown after pairing. Everything else works. I checked the BT compatibility page on x5world and some phones mention that they only work with manual transfer, that's why I was asking so I can try this approach.

./sherif
Old 12-11-2004 | 08:25 AM
Contributors

Sherif,

I honestly have no experience with the Nokia 9500. I was just comenting that it took a a while for the address book to transfer using my V3 RAZR. This happened when the phonebook was on the phone and not the SIM. You should not make calls or look at the phone screen for half an hour while the phone is paired. I think if the Nokia 9500 is compatible, it will transfer. Also put them all on the phone. If one has a problem, it might block the process for the other. I have the ability to move the entire book on and off the SIM.
Old 12-11-2004 | 12:00 PM
Members

Hormazd,

Thanks. I'll try again tomorrow and keep this topic updated. You mention half an hour, how many contacts did you have on the phone. Are you aware of the limit on the number of contacts that the ULF memory can hold??

./sherif
Old 12-11-2004 | 12:13 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Sherif' date='Dec 11 2004, 02:00 PM
Hormazd,

Thanks. I'll try again tomorrow and keep this topic updated. You mention half an hour, how many contacts did you have on the phone. Are you aware of the limit on the number of contacts that the ULF memory can hold??

./sherif
[snapback]67959[/snapback]
I have no more than about 30. I am not aware of any limit. Again just make sute there is no activity while its paired to get the addresses to transfer.