Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Nokia 6230 i

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Just to add my interpretation of what the 6230i cradle is doing, I think that the eject box itself has an internal antenna that is hard wired to the shark fin. When the 6230 is in the cradle, the internal antenna of the phone sends a signal that is picked up by the internal antenna in the eject box. From there, the signal is passed up to the shark fin via a normal coaxial antenna cable. This way, it doesn't matter that the console is closed, etc. the phone is getting a signal transferred to it (not via Bluetooth) from the sharkfin down to the console.

I'm no engineer but it seems logical that they could engineer such a sytem without too much trouble.

Please keep us all posted on how this works -- I have a 6230 and one of these days I'm going to have the dealer yank the CPT-9000 and enable BT...
Old 07-21-2005, 09:53 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Oxford Green E60 530D with tuning box and all the toys!

That's exactly how it works Rudy. And it works perfectly - better than the old 6310i.

"As far as I know, there's no "amp" in the cradle. Just a cable that connects the phone to an external aerial. " WRONG BangleBox, sorry.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:50 PM
Members

I have a Nokia 6230i. I got the snap-in adaptor for it a week ago. It's a great piece of kit, the phone pushes then snaps in perfectly, and it's powered up while I drive. The arm rest shuts and you'd never know the phone was there.

The main thing - RECEPTION. I'm not bothered HOW it works, but the key fact is this.

People say I sound a LOT, LOT clearer to them now when I'm talking to them through the car's speakers. And they're easier to hear too. Louder, less crackly, stronger signal.

Who cares how it works ... it just works. Score one for the sliver shark's fin on the roof :-)
Old 07-22-2005, 01:09 AM
Members

<span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>STOP....</span>

I have the Nokia 6230 and IT WORKS in the car on Bluetooth. My snap in 6230i adaptor arrived and IT WORKS PERFECTLY!! (it even has really old software on it - way behind what BMW require)

It charges (even with the ignition off..... and the aerial signal showed a marked improvement when in the cradle)

Can't comment on the amount of frying I am getting though (and of course it is not approved by BMW)
Old 07-22-2005, 01:16 AM
Members

My Ride: Oxford Green E60 530D with tuning box and all the toys!

I love the charging with ignition off feature. The 6230 works perfectly too but only if you have the most recent firmware.

One minor irritation - I am not getting any indication of a received SMS when the phone is in its adaptor. With the old one, I did get the notification beep although the screen didn't show unopened mail. Is anyone getting text received notification in or out of the adaptor?

As for "frying" - you will be getting less than if you were operating the phone near your ear and that is an insignificant amount anyway!
Old 07-22-2005, 12:12 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

Originally Posted by golfnut' date='Jul 22 2005, 10:16 AM
I love the charging with ignition off feature. The 6230 works perfectly too but only if you have the most recent firmware.

One minor irritation - I am not getting any indication of a received SMS when the phone is in its adaptor. With the old one, I did get the notification beep although the screen didn't show unopened mail. Is anyone getting text received notification in or out of the adaptor?

As for "frying" - you will be getting less than if you were operating the phone near your ear and that is an insignificant amount anyway!
[snapback]151820[/snapback]
Can you upgrade the firmware? If so, how?
Old 07-22-2005, 12:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

Originally Posted by golfnut' date='Jul 22 2005, 06:53 AM
That's exactly how it works Rudy. And it works perfectly - better than the old 6310i.

"As far as I know, there's no "amp" in the cradle. Just a cable that connects the phone to an external aerial. "? WRONG BangleBox, sorry.
[snapback]151800[/snapback]
Well, I'd like to be wrong, as I'd like to use my 6230 in the car.

Having looked at my current 6310i cradle, it seems to be just an aerial extension. But from comments here, it seems that the 6230 cradle isn't from BMW. If that's correct, WHERE do you get it. I'm interested.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:18 PM
Members

Hvae a look Here

I got mine form the UK delaer nearby

?60

Definitely a BMW part
Old 07-22-2005, 01:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride:

Originally Posted by AlanM' date='Jul 22 2005, 10:18 PM
Hvae a look Here

I got mine form the UK delaer nearby

?60

Definitely a BMW part
[snapback]152003[/snapback]
I installed a BMW snap-in adapter for my 6230i a couple of weeks ago and have been using the thing full time ever since in varied locations and can say that it makes a significant difference to signal performance.

Charges too which means that I can get home without a dead battery....

Andy
Old 08-01-2005, 02:11 PM
Contributors

Hi. So I changed to Nokia 6230i, and now I can use Bluetooth even if I have SMS-messages in my inbox, which was not the case with the SE-phone.

BUT I noticed that while the SE telephone can display several stored numbers per name (mobile, home, work), this is NOT the case with Nokia 6230i, it only shows the first entry per name.

This is not good. Anyone knows if there is a solution to this problem ???

Regards

PL

Cph

PS I still haven't bought the ejectbox, but I will certainly do it in the nearest future...

Quick Reply: Nokia 6230 i