5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum (https://5series.net/forums/bluetooth-cell-phone-forum-26/)
-   -   newbie Q (https://5series.net/forums/bluetooth-cell-phone-forum-26/newbie-q-49384/)

SLB 01-13-2008 02:23 PM

hello,

I just got my e60 2004 (520i) from a non-BMW dealer. on the steering wheel there is a phone + the face buttons but when I press it nothing happen. and there is no phone in the car or a place to connect it. when i use Idrive to select communication it's give me msg no contact stored contact nearest BMW dealer. my question is there is BT in my car ? and if there is how can i use it or active it. if there is no BT can i add it ? and how...

Cheers

Jboat28 01-13-2008 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by SLB' post='517455' date='Jan 13 2008, 06:23 PM
hello,

I just got my e60 2004 (520i) from a non-BMW dealer. on the steering wheel there is a phone + the face buttons but when I press it nothing happen. and there is no phone in the car or a place to connect it. when i use Idrive to select communication it's give me msg no contact stored contact nearest BMW dealer. my question is there is BT in my car ? and if there is how can i use it or active it. if there is no BT can i add it ? and how...

Cheers

If you don't hear a beep sound , you don't have BT. Depending on the month of manufacture of your car you may need a TCU upgrade. If the car was built after march 04 you sould only need a software upgrade. The dealer can do this. This is for US cars , not sure its the same if your from another country. Hope this helps.

SLB 01-13-2008 03:20 PM

Jboat28,

thanks for the reply!! I just check the plate on the driver door the year of manufacture is 03 and I did not hear any beep sound. So I guess i'm not so lucky :( ...

but what about the communication menu in IDrive ? how can i use it or what does it do ??

cheers

BOBUCRUZ 01-13-2008 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by SLB' post='517455' date='Jan 13 2008, 03:23 PM
hello,

Cheers

You may beable to retrofit bluetooth fairly easily if you vehicle made the cutoff. My vehicle, an 04 525, didn't make the cutoff. As a result, the dealer quoted my $1300 to retrofit. Otherwise, a simple software upgrade would have activated it. I'd call BMW or a dealer and see if your vehicle made the cut off...

SLB 01-14-2008 04:49 AM

Today I went to BMW dealer. as he say there is no BT nor phone in the car. He told me if i want to fit a BT i'll pay alot. now the question if there is no BT or phone thing in the car why there is a phone button in the steering wheel ?? any use for it ??

kscarrol 01-15-2008 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by SLB' post='517672' date='Jan 14 2008, 07:49 AM
Today I went to BMW dealer. as he say there is no BT nor phone in the car. He told me if i want to fit a BT i'll pay alot. now the question if there is no BT or phone thing in the car why there is a phone button in the steering wheel ?? any use for it ??

Nope, no use for the button. Had it on my old 545 which did not have BT. BMW simply built it into the steering wheel as some cars (w/ Navigation) had voice control. I assume BMW also was working towards getting BT into the cars and designed the steering wheel for when that eventually happened. The new TCU which enabled BT started appearing in cars in March 2004...

SLB 01-15-2008 02:38 PM

"The new TCU which enabled BT started appearing in cars in March 2004... "

so is there any way to install TCU which enabled BT in my car ??

Rudy 01-15-2008 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by SLB' post='518413' date='Jan 15 2008, 06:38 PM
"The new TCU which enabled BT started appearing in cars in March 2004... "

so is there any way to install TCU which enabled BT in my car ??

You can buy a newer version TCU but I think it costs over $1000 just for the part. Have you investigated the BTUM option?

SLB 01-16-2008 04:32 AM

Ruddy,

thanks for the hint !! I did some search here in this amazing forums about the BTUM and found that my car need a CPT9000 and BTUM plus a dealer programing. I read some of your post Rudy about "E60 - Microphones for hands-free mode and voice recognition" and what I found is my car does not have a microphones :bash: is that the only place for microphones or or its maybe located some where else??