Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

My dealer doesn't know how to update my software to enable Bt

Old 01-09-2008, 02:02 PM
MDT
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 525i, Titanium Silver, Gray Leather, Premium Package, Steptronic trans, xenon adaptive headlights, sat. prep, no navigation, bluetooth, ipod adapter

Originally Posted by rparik01' post='515652' date='Jan 9 2008, 02:22 PM
Didn't work...My SA just called and told me that they updated the software, but were unable to check the boxes for the bluetooth software. They also told me that they made an attempt to contact BMWNA but will not hear back until tomorrow. They also attempted to blame the phrase "some" (from the SI of the vechicles are capable of this upgrade. From what I understand the "some" refers to March production vehicles as it was the first month and some may have it and some may not.
It is not just a matter of updating the software. They also have to retrofit the bluetooth - in other words they have to activate or turn it on just as they would if you added an ipod interface or other accessory. Then you can check the boxes in the idrive. Hopefully, BMWNA will set them straight. I am really surprised that a dealer would not know this, especially since the e60 is not a brand new model ( Acutally, maybe I''m not all that surprised based on different stories I have heard about dealers).

Good luck.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:29 AM
Members

Originally Posted by MDT' post='515669' date='Jan 10 2008, 01:02 AM
It is not just a matter of updating the software. They also have to retrofit the bluetooth - in other words they have to activate or turn it on just as they would if you added an ipod interface or other accessory. Then you can check the boxes in the idrive. Hopefully, BMWNA will set them straight. I am really surprised that a dealer would not know this, especially since the e60 is not a brand new model ( Acutally, maybe I''m not all that surprised based on different stories I have heard about dealers).

Good luck.
How do you activate it after the software update? This seems to be the biggest question since the world "retrofit" refers to installing some physical parts to the car (atleast my dealer reads it so). And the service bulletin refers just to software update and activating it from I-drive. To my understanding there is no referral to any other "activating method"?

I'm
Old 01-10-2008, 03:56 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Frankiez' post='515888' date='Jan 10 2008, 05:29 AM
How do you activate it after the software update? This seems to be the biggest question since the world "retrofit" refers to installing some physical parts to the car (atleast my dealer reads it so). And the service bulletin refers just to software update and activating it from I-drive. To my understanding there is no referral to any other "activating method"?

I'm
You are not alone and I only have received one message from a 2004 e60 owner that had success retrofitting BT at a Miami dealer. I have been to both dealers in Jax and the SA stated that it can't be done. I even offered to pay an hour labor just to look.

My 5/04 build BMW has a new tcu manufactured 7/06 by Continental not the origianl Motarolla. I think BMW changed. Anyway TCU was replaced under warranty for activiation of the Assist. The car has always had a BT passkey card. Also the new TCU still had the silver label on it that is suppose to be removed and placed on the BT card. The vehicle was updated to V27 for iDrive crashes.

However I can not see the BT option in iDrive. It is frustating as I own a 2005 X5 and when I look at the TCU in it it seems identical. I have been told an antenna has to be installed in the vehicle for BT tx/rc. But I don't see one in the X5 which works fine.

This has been very frustrating and I agree that I am surprised that I don't see engagement and ownership around the dealer knowing. I wish a BMW tech that reads these posts that has successfully retrofitted would post a note.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i silver grey, 6spd, comfort seats, L7, sport, cold weather, rear heated seats

My SA just called me back and told me that my TCU was replaced with a 2006 model and it was not fitted with the bluetooth so the upgrade is not possible. I thought all 2005 models and newer had BT. Is what he telling me correct? And shouldn't I have been notified of this when I bought my CPO car? The only service that was listed was regular inspections and oil changes.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by rparik01' post='516459' date='Jan 11 2008, 03:48 PM
My SA just called me back and told me that my TCU was replaced with a 2006 model and it was not fitted with the bluetooth so the upgrade is not possible. I thought all 2005 models and newer had BT. Is what he telling me correct? And shouldn't I have been notified of this when I bought my CPO car? The only service that was listed was regular inspections and oil changes.
Please help us all out and place your location in your profile (at least your country).

A 2006 TCU should have BT functionality for sure...
Old 01-11-2008, 05:18 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i SMG

Originally Posted by rparik01' post='514856' date='Jan 7 2008, 06:00 PM
I have an 05/04 545i and have an appointment on wednesday to get my BT enabled. When I called I had to explain the SIB, specifically #4. They said they never did it before, but will try. He said it will only take an hour to update the specific BT portion. What advice should I give them so they do it correctly? Thanks.

In the great words of wisdom from John Mclane " Welcome to the Party Pal "

The dealership is always hopeless when it comes to help.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i silver grey, 6spd, comfort seats, L7, sport, cold weather, rear heated seats

After three days of yelling and the infamous run around this has been solved. The dealer is going to pay for my bluetooth module that fits in the phone dock already installed in my car. I am disappointed that nobody told me about this option before. However it may not have been worth it if I had the 2004 TCU. Either way i'm expecting this by Tuesday at the latest. I'll let you guys know how it works.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rparik01' post='516811' date='Jan 12 2008, 11:25 AM
After three days of yelling and the infamous run around this has been solved. The dealer is going to pay for my bluetooth module that fits in the phone dock already installed in my car. I am disappointed that nobody told me about this option before. However it may not have been worth it if I had the 2004 TCU. Either way i'm expecting this by Tuesday at the latest. I'll let you guys know how it works.
The option you are now getting is called the BTUM (BT upgrade module). It appears that if your dealer knew what they were doing, you wouldn't have needed to go that route. Also, not that it matters much, but you never mentioned that you had a cradle for the factory wired phone already installed so the BTUM option would have always been a "plan B" to getting things done via the installed TCU and the software update...
Old 01-15-2008, 09:36 AM
Contributors

I'm at the BMW dealership now and they gave me the BTUM, but when I plugged it in it did not seem to gain power. The SA here believes that when the other dealership tried to program my car for the bluetooth via the TCU upgrade they over wrote the functionality of the cradle and that is why it is not receiving power. Any insight? Also, since the module is intended to be plug and play the software upgrade is not included and would be customer pay. I intend to speak with the original dealer about these costs, but you know how that goes.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

It is true that when BT is enabled (or retrofitted) on a car that had a CPT-9000 (hard-wired) cradle, the CPT-9000 needs to be "de-programmed" since you can't have both BT and CPT-9000 working simultaneously.

I don't know why they can't seem to get BT working natively through the TCU (instead of the BTUM method.)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My dealer doesn't know how to update my software to enable Bt