Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Is my car bluetooth ready?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 05:06 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 10/2006 520d, black metallic

Hi fans!

How can I check if my car is ready for Bluetooth? It's manufactured 10/2006 and the serial number is CX75792. I have the basic iDrive with no nav and small screen, and the car is EU-spec. I don't think I have BMW Assist, as the iDrive only shows the service phone numbers, I cannot directly dial them.

People say some cars already have the microphone builtin and software update is sufficient. I don't have any options like voice commands, phone cradle etc. How do I know for sure if I have the mic and the rest of the hardware is ready for software activation? I don't want to spend a fortune on hardware upgrades.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:13 AM
Members

I would like some guidance on this as well - thanks
Old 04-09-2009, 10:09 PM
Senior Members

Probably the best and most accurate way to really tell is just to call your local BMW dealer, give them the last 7 of your vin and they should be able to tell you.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:21 AM
nik
Members

Originally Posted by ingenious' post='840311' date='Apr 8 2009, 09:06 PM
Hi fans!

How can I check if my car is ready for Bluetooth? It's manufactured 10/2006 and the serial number is CX75792. I have the basic iDrive with no nav and small screen, and the car is EU-spec. I don't think I have BMW Assist, as the iDrive only shows the service phone numbers, I cannot directly dial them.

People say some cars already have the microphone builtin and software update is sufficient. I don't have any options like voice commands, phone cradle etc. How do I know for sure if I have the mic and the rest of the hardware is ready for software activation? I don't want to spend a fortune on hardware upgrades.
I wonder why every E60 forums that exist seems to be talking about bluetooth problem. As far as I know, all E60s as far back as early 2004 are bluetooth equiped as for my E60 520i I bought in June 04 and 530i I bought in June 2005. The communication manual do give you an instruction. May be production differs from country to country, but this is one item that BMW were 1 up against other cars, Merce in particular at that time. Get in the car with your phone with BLUETOOTH set ON and Click on i-drive COMMUNICATION and follow the instruction on the screen, but be patient, the BMW bluetooth system, memory and RAM are not meant to handle a heavily loaded PDAs or basic phone with extremely high number of CONTACTS. It will slow the system down. What ever in your phone will be synch into the car comm memory. If more than one phone is synch to the car, the system may and most likely will HANG and need to be reprogram. The mic is on the front portion of the roof, you'll know when you see it. My HTC works, E73, Nokia 5800, P990i and most Sony Erricson all works. Dealers should'nt be charging for bluetooth set-up.
My screen is the first generation small screen too, without NAV.
Safe Driving..Gents.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by nik' post='877136' date='May 13 2009, 10:21 AM
I wonder why every E60 forums that exist seems to be talking about bluetooth problem. As far as I know, all E60s as far back as early 2004 are bluetooth equiped as for my E60 520i I bought in June 04 and 530i I bought in June 2005. The communication manual do give you an instruction. May be production differs from country to country, but this is one item that BMW were 1 up against other cars, Merce in particular at that time. Get in the car with your phone with BLUETOOTH set ON and Click on i-drive COMMUNICATION and follow the instruction on the screen, but be patient, the BMW bluetooth system, memory and RAM are not meant to handle a heavily loaded PDAs or basic phone with extremely high number of CONTACTS. It will slow the system down. What ever in your phone will be synch into the car comm memory. If more than one phone is synch to the car, the system may and most likely will HANG and need to be reprogram. The mic is on the front portion of the roof, you'll know when you see it. My HTC works, E73, Nokia 5800, P990i and most Sony Erricson all works. Dealers should'nt be charging for bluetooth set-up.
My screen is the first generation small screen too, without NAV.
Safe Driving..Gents.
That's not entirely true, especially for the earlier model year E60s due to the fact that the capability of the TCU and iDrive software. To activate BT in those E60s, you might have to update the software and/or replace the TCU in some cases. To find out if an updated TCU is required, you can remove the side panel in the trunk/boot to check the production date of the TCU (or find the BT logo on the sticker). Do a quick search in the BT section, there are photos and details related to TCU. Good luck!
Old 05-16-2009, 05:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

I have a 04 525 and I was able just to update the software to get bluetooth working.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by tex_phil' post='880569' date='May 16 2009, 09:02 PM
I have a 04 525 and I was able just to update the software to get bluetooth working.
+1 same here.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:53 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW 525d SE, 5door, Auto, Grey, Black Leather,etc

I am also interested in this query!
My almost 525d new car has mute and phone button on the stearing wheel, but there seems to be no options in the communications menu other than to list the BMW service contacts.
What wouldI have to do to get bluetooth working ?
Regards
Trevor
Old 05-20-2009, 11:37 AM
Members

I also have a 525 D M-Sport.
It has the basic I Drive with the phone buttons on the steering wheel, but there are no options to link or connect o my phone.
My car is a E60 November 2006 version, Do I need to update the software ??
Can I do it via cd, can I get the update online ?? or does my car need to go to BMW? if so how much ???

I spoke to BMW today in Warrington and they quoted me ?3000 to install the bluetooth module !!! but after reading on here, it seems that it already has it.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:46 PM
Members

My Ride: Stock for now

Originally Posted by tex_phil' post='880569' date='May 16 2009, 06:02 PM
+1 same here. The dealer updated the software on my 04 545 build on 05/04 and the Bluetooth paired to my I-Phone. Once you check the software in the car make sure your phone is compatiable with the ones BMW has tested. This way you will know if the phone you want to use will work or if you need to get a new phone.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/navigatio...troduction.html

Quick Reply: Is my car bluetooth ready?