Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Maximum Contacts iPhone 3GS

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 10:57 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi I have just taken the plunge and purchased an iPhone 3G today locally here in Dublin. I drive an 05 530D with factory fitted bluetooth and SatNav. The i-drive software was updated a year or so ago. I have over 2000 contacts in my Outlook. Does anybody know if I am going to have trouble getting them all to upload? If so is there a work around? I don't need all of these contacts to be 'dialable' in the car.

Many thanks in anticipation etc.

John
Old 06-29-2009, 10:30 AM
Senior Members

I don't think so man but i don't think the contacts are really uploaded to the car when you pair it. I think the car just reads the contact database alphabetically. That's why there is a slight delay when you access another letter...i assume.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

The car clearly has a limitation on how many contacts it will accept. I don't think there's one precise number of contacts since on some phones, there can be multiple numbers per contact, etc.

On my BlackBerry, I have about 1500+ contacts and they don't all transfer. What's cool about the BB though, is you can tell it to only transfer specific categories to the car so you can control what ones transfer and what one's don't. Also, not sure about the iPhone but on the BB, fax numbers don't transfer at all regardless of the category...
Old 07-01-2009, 08:45 AM
Members

Following my post I have found there is indeed a problem uploading a large number of contacts to the bluetooth phonebook. I have found the workaround is to create a new contacts folder in Outlook (leaving the original remaining) and to copy (not move) the contacts you want available into this folder. iTunes will sync this new folder to your phone and in the bluetooth settings synching section on the iphone you specify the new folder you have created and untick 'all contacts'. In Outlook you can copy a contact by highlighting it and going to edit on the tool bar, selecting copy to folder and highlighting the new folder to copy to. If you create a category in Outlook (like 'car') you can quickly categorise the contacts you require, sort them by this new category, highlight them, and then copy them to the new folder. This saves a lot of the drudgery

A great utility would be one which could do all the donkey work as described for you.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by JPatten' post='929573' date='Jul 1 2009, 11:45 AM
Following my post I have found there is indeed a problem uploading a large number of contacts to the bluetooth phonebook. I have found the workaround is to create a new contacts folder in Outlook (leaving the original remaining) and to copy (not move) the contacts you want available into this folder. iTunes will sync this new folder to your phone and in the bluetooth settings synching section on the iphone you specify the new folder you have created and untick 'all contacts'. In Outlook you can copy a contact by highlighting it and going to edit on the tool bar, selecting copy to folder and highlighting the new folder to copy to. If you create a category in Outlook (like 'car') you can quickly categorise the contacts you require, sort them by this new category, highlight them, and then copy them to the new folder. This saves a lot of the drudgery

A great utility would be one which could do all the donkey work as described for you.
Interesting work around. I have 1,580 contacts and while I have not checked every last one, I seem to load all contacts without any issue on my 3GS or on my old 3G. I would actually like to cut down the number of contacts that my car uploads to only those personal contacts I use while driving. It is rare that I need a business contact while driving. I look under the bluetooth settings as you describe but do not see any way to select certain contact folders. I do see options to select under calendar and e-mail but nothing under contacts. I am running the 3.0 software...
Old 07-02-2009, 05:09 PM
Members

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='929649' date='Jul 1 2009, 02:09 PM
Interesting work around. I have 1,580 contacts and while I have not checked every last one, I seem to load all contacts without any issue on my 3GS or on my old 3G. I would actually like to cut down the number of contacts that my car uploads to only those personal contacts I use while driving. It is rare that I need a business contact while driving. I look under the bluetooth settings as you describe but do not see any way to select certain contact folders. I do see options to select under calendar and e-mail but nothing under contacts. I am running the 3.0 software...
Try creating a subfolder in contacts, put some contacts in it, sync with your iPhone and then see if it shows up in bluetooth settins beside 'All Contacts'.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:17 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by JPatten' post='931216' date='Jul 2 2009, 08:09 PM
Try creating a subfolder in contacts, put some contacts in it, sync with your iPhone and then see if it shows up in bluetooth settins beside 'All Contacts'.
I already have several sub folders but they all sync. I see all the sub folders, just not a way to exclude what the BT in the car sync's with....
Old 07-02-2009, 05:39 PM
Members

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='931221' date='Jul 2 2009, 09:17 PM
I already have several sub folders but they all sync. I see all the sub folders, just not a way to exclude what the BT in the car sync's with....
You should see a tick beside 'All contacts' in the BMW bluetooth section. Untick it and then select the folder you want. I think the connection will need to be active - ie in the car.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:39 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by JPatten' post='931234' date='Jul 2 2009, 08:39 PM
You should see a tick beside 'All contacts' in the BMW bluetooth section. Untick it and then select the folder you want. I think the connection will need to be active - ie in the car.
Ah, that's it. I've not been in the car, connected to BT while trying. I'll give it a shot in the AM...
Old 07-07-2009, 04:20 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by JPatten' post='931234' date='Jul 2 2009, 08:39 PM
No go for me on my 3GS. No such option under the BT section in the setting menu, even while connected in the car...

Quick Reply: Maximum Contacts iPhone 3GS