Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

iPhone and voice dialling question

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 01:45 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive just bought my first E60. A older 2004 525d. I have a iPhone 4 and am hoping to get voice dialling working.

I assume the car itself doesn't have voice dialling as when I hold the steering wheel button with the head on it (voice button) nothing happens. This button does nothing on my car. Pressing the button with the telephone on it will re dial the last number, and will also answer and end calls.

If I hold the home button on the iPhone I can use the phones built in voice dialling, and this can be heard via the car audio. The problem is this inst practical, is there a way to initiate the iPhone voice dialling using the steering wheel controls ?

I don't really mind if it's the car or the phone voice dialling that I access via the wheel, but currently I get neither.

Finally, I'd like an iPhone 4 Snap in adapter for this car, does anybody know if BMW made one? A part no, would be great.

Many thanks.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:22 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Garethdphillips
Ive just bought my first E60. A older 2004 525d. I have a iPhone 4 and am hoping to get voice dialling working.

I assume the car itself doesn't have voice dialling as when I hold the steering wheel button with the head on it (voice button) nothing happens. This button does nothing on my car. Pressing the button with the telephone on it will re dial the last number, and will also answer and end calls.

If I hold the home button on the iPhone I can use the phones built in voice dialling, and this can be heard via the car audio. The problem is this inst practical, is there a way to initiate the iPhone voice dialling using the steering wheel controls ?

I don't really mind if it's the car or the phone voice dialling that I access via the wheel, but currently I get neither.

Finally, I'd like an iPhone 4 Snap in adapter for this car, does anybody know if BMW made one? A part no, would be great.

Many thanks.
I also have an iPhone 4, but don't use it too often while in the car. I don't believe you will be able to activate the iPhone's voice dialing feature via the steering wheel, someone may correct me on that. I am able to press the voice command button on the steering wheel and say "dial number" and say the number I would like to call. You say that you are holding the button down when a press is all that is needed to activate the system. Holding the button down doesn't do anything for me. The user manual details the commands and how to use the system. I also believe there is a video available on BMW's website that shows how to use the system. Good luck
Old 10-26-2011, 11:50 AM
Members

Thanks for your reply.

I don't have voice control as the button does nothing, if I press or hold it.

Does anybody know if this can easily be activated or is an additional module needed?
Old 10-26-2011, 11:55 AM
Members

From what I've researched the voice activation costs peanuts for the retrofit kit but then you pay a £200+ premium just for the activation code to enable it in your iDrive. If it can be done for not much more than the parts cost then I would do it without a second thought.