Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

iphone no longer charging with cable

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 06:43 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009 535i

I was wondering if anyone was having problems with their iphone 3g no longer charging with their ipod/USB cable in their car?

I have iphone software v3.1.2 at the moment, but I am not sure why the phone that once charged nicely is no longer charging.

Thanks.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:50 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i

I have the ipod cable and my ipod no longer charges either, not sure why.

Originally Posted by jzcrna' post='1060486' date='Nov 22 2009, 10:43 PM
I was wondering if anyone was having problems with their iphone 3g no longer charging with their ipod/USB cable in their car?

I have iphone software v3.1.2 at the moment, but I am not sure why the phone that once charged nicely is no longer charging.

Thanks.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:06 PM
Contributors

The USB cable is probably damaged. I had the same problem as well. I took the car into the dealership and they replaced it under warranty.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:49 PM
Senior Members

not sure if this helps, but i use to charge my iphone with a car charger through the cigarette lighter socket.. suddenly one day it just stopped working. later i figured out it was a blown fuse for the socket..
Old 11-26-2009, 06:53 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

What kind of car do you have and USB application are you using? You're post and replies lead me to believe you have a built in USB from the mention of the dealer......I wasn't aware of this option in the cars. Do you have some kind of aftermarket integration?

Did you update the software on your phone? Basically was it charging on this software before on the same USB?

If you are using a standard USB and a USB cigarette lighter adapter, make sure the cigarette lighter adapter is working (should have an LED indicator on it)

If that is working, take the USB and plug in it your PC or Mac. If the USB works then the problem is your iphone/ipod sw. The new sw updates sometimes throw "older" hardware out the door.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:55 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

You all do realize that Apple with the new version of the firmware changed the charge port for the 3g and 3gs , Right?
The current BMW cables are no longer made since they charge on the old "pin # " on the adapter. I don't know if BMW has made a new one available in the parts system. That is the case with the BMW "Y" cable adapter. I think it is the same for the Dealer installed one... the BSW dock, I think still works...

Apple did this to get ready for the move to Micro Usb that all Cell phone makers agreed to as a standard charge format.
Though it makes no sense at all for the current gen of iphones since they use the Apple usb bus cable..
Old 01-22-2010, 11:15 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi (European Delivery 6/12/2007): Monaco Blue, Creame Biege Leather, Dark Poplar, Steptronic, Sport Package, Premium Package, 17" Style 243 Wheels, Nav, HUD, Active Cruise Control, Night Vision, PDC, Comfort Access, Lane Departure Warning, Cold Weather, Logic 7, HD Audio, iPod, Folding rear seats.

Originally Posted by bigbadbull' post='1065763' date='Dec 1 2009, 10:55 AM
You all do realize that Apple with the new version of the firmware changed the charge port for the 3g and 3gs , Right?
The current BMW cables are no longer made since they charge on the old "pin # " on the adapter. I don't know if BMW has made a new one available in the parts system. That is the case with the BMW "Y" cable adapter. I think it is the same for the Dealer installed one... the BSW dock, I think still works...

Apple did this to get ready for the move to Micro Usb that all Cell phone makers agreed to as a standard charge format.
Though it makes no sense at all for the current gen of iphones since they use the Apple usb bus cable..
Yes, I have the same problem with the iPod Y-adapter delivered with my 535xi. It seemed to work a time or two, but then was a real bear to remove from my iPhone 3GS so I stopped using the cable. Now, whenever I slide to activate the iPhone, I consistantly get "This accessory is not made to work with iPhone". I have not been able to reset this message via iTunes, leading me to believe the Y-cable connector may have damaged the iPhone connector.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:55 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Kimbo
Yes, I have the same problem with the iPod Y-adapter delivered with my 535xi. It seemed to work a time or two, but then was a real bear to remove from my iPhone 3GS so I stopped using the cable. Now, whenever I slide to activate the iPhone, I consistantly get "This accessory is not made to work with iPhone". I have not been able to reset this message via iTunes, leading me to believe the Y-cable connector may have damaged the iPhone connector.

I am having this problem too. I am also having the problem where my iPhone 3G works in the car but I cannot pull up my address book on the Nav screen. I am wondering if both problems started after I recently downloaded an iPhone update.

Please help!!
Old 10-26-2010, 08:55 PM
Members

My Ride: '08 535xi Sport/Premium Auto w/ Navigation. Alpine White.

It will sometimes work when you soft reset the iPhone while it is connected to the car. Hold the top button down until you get the slide off message. Slide off. Power back on with the top button. I have the iPhone 4.