Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

iPhone and LCI

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 04:50 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 530i sport, Titanium Silver
Wink

Hi all,

Might not be the first but thought I'd post my experience with the phone. My 535xi Sport LCI has the iPod interface. So far, everything works way better than it did on my Treo 700p.

The phone book transfers over bluetooth. Pairing was easy BTW.

Voice dialing of entries in the phone book works great.

My wife says that call quality over the builtin mic/speakers in the car is "way better" than my Treo 700p.

When I plugged it into the iPod adapter, I got a weird message on the iPhone about it not being a supported accessory, however, everything appears to be working just fine on the Aux screens just like my 5G iPod video did. The speed of the songs starting up is much better. I'm attributing that to either fewer songs or the fact that the iPhone is flash-based rather than hard disk based. Also, the sound quality appears better (although that might just be iPhone high getting in the way of reality! <grin>).

Thanks,
Bryan
Old 06-30-2007, 05:47 AM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

Great news! I'm going to buy one as soon as it has 3G.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545i | Orient Blue | Blk Lthr | Sport | 6 Sp MT | Cold | Logic 7 | Sirius | iPod | Rear Heat | PDC | Rear SRS | NAV | HUD | AngeliBright Blue Up Next: New Radar Detector (Valentine 1 w/remote), SolarGuard 6% on all windows, Italian Euro Plate) '07 ML 500 | Alpine Blue | Blk Lthr | Pkg II | Lighting Pkg | Multicontour Seats | 6 CDC | iPod (Wife's Ride) Fond memories of: '03 540ia (the tightest car I ever owned!)

Originally Posted by ipp' post='441794' date='Jun 30 2007, 08:47 AM
Great news! I'm going to buy one as soon as it has 3G.

I agree (in getting one when 3G comes), but we are going to be waiting for a while for that!!

Apple has no immediate plans to do this for this year even going into early next year... (I have a friend there).
Old 06-30-2007, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by bceverly' post='441778' date='Jun 30 2007, 08:50 AM
My wife says that call quality over the builtin mic/speakers in the car is "way better" than my Treo 700p.
My Treo 650 had horrible BT sound quality as well -- I think there's something in the Treos that causes this because my Nokia and my BlackBerry both sounded much better (even though the BlackBerry sounds better than the Nokia.)

So far, the iPhone looks like a great choice for the E60 crowd but I agree that right now, there is a bit of an "iPhone high" running around and it's not likely to wear off for a while, I imagine...
Old 06-30-2007, 08:53 AM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

Originally Posted by bigfddi' post='441810' date='Jun 30 2007, 09:48 AM
I agree (in getting one when 3G comes), but we are going to be waiting for a while for that!!

Apple has no immediate plans to do this for this year even going into early next year... (I have a friend there).
Unless he's on the iPhone team directly, no one at Apple can definitively say this.

That said, it's probably correct. For the record, Steve Jobs did confirm that 3G is coming in a future iteration of iPhone, but possibly as soon as the EU rollout:

http://www.macrumors.com/2007/06/29/3g-iph...r-uk-customers/

In a Wall Street Journal Q&A, here is the reason Jobs gave for no 3G at present:

WSJ: [Editor's contraction: Why did you choose EDGE over 3G?]
Mr. Jobs: [Paraphrased] Every AT&T Blackberry gets its mail over EDGE. EDGE is great for mail, and it works well for maps and a whole bunch of other stuff. Where you wish you had faster speed is?on a Web browser. It's good enough, but you wish it was a little faster. That's where sandwiching EDGE with Wi-Fi really makes sense because Wi-Fi is much faster than any 3G network.

When we looked at 3G, the chipsets were not low-enough power for what we were looking for. They were not integrated enough, so they took up too much physical space. We cared a lot about battery life and we cared a lot about physical size. Down the road, I'm sure some of those tradeoffs will become more favorable towards 3G but as of now we think we made a pretty good doggone decision.

Since my city won't have 3G from AT&T for at least a year and a half, and since the city is pretty much blanketed with WiFi I don't really care at the moment.