Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

iPhone 5/BMW 545 with iPod interface report

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 11:25 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i
Default iPhone 5/BMW 545 with iPod interface report

So I upgraded my iPhone 3GS to the iPhone 5 and bought the lighting to 30 pin adapter.

Initially when I plugged the iP5 in, iDrive didn't detect it. I thought crap, this is not good, so I plugged the phone into iTunes, restored from a previous backup, and plugged it again, and it worked. Major sigh of relief!!

Now here are the cool things I discovered that is different from the 3GS experience...

1-Bluetooth synced no problem, I tried Siri for the first time and SIRI actually uses bluetooth, so she responds on the cars Logic7..sweet!

2-GPS, so you tell SIRI to show you directions to get to a location, SIRI launches the maps app and starts guiding you. If you have the phone plugged in to the iPod connector (with adapter) the audio will appear on the Logic 7 system. If you are playing music from your iPhone, it will mute music playback when SIRI guides you. Juts like a typical navigation system on a car.

3-it remembers the song you were playing, so when you disconnect the phone, turn off the car, the moment you plug the phone back in, playback will immediately continue, whereby previously on the 3GS I had to go to CD, choose the song every time.

Overall I like it, though I think the sound quality from the iPhone 5 is slightly more tinny. I changed the EQ setting to flat from the phone, and adjust it on iDrive. It sounds much better now.

Thanks.

Last edited by Shlooky; 11-12-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:28 AM
Members

I too had the BMW iPod interface retrofit done to replace the 6 disk changer. I have a question though. Do you plug your phone in and leave it in the glove box? I ask because my cable from the retrofit is only about 8" long and not long enough to reach from the glove compartment to my hand as I am driving. right now I only have an iPod plugged in and I leave it in there and use my phone via bluetooth but if I can use my phone to stream music while it is plugged in in the glove compartment then I am all for that!

Thanks!

Also, if it is plugged in and streaming music and in the glove compartment, how do you change tracks? With the steering wheel buttons?
Old 11-16-2012, 09:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i

I typically always left my 3GS in the glove box plugged in while driving. But since I upgraded to the iPhone 5, I now have the option to use it as a GPS so I bought the 0.2m lighting to 30 pin adapter cable from Apple which gives me extra length to place it closer to me. I know one guy replaced his center console ash tray with an iPod doc, so I think that's what I'm going to do, just have to fish the cable all the way to where the ashtray is and I'm good.

You next question, you really have to try it, the steering wheel button may actually work. But it may depend on the app. Give it a try.

Cheers
Old 01-02-2013, 03:19 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

I also upgraded to iPhone 5 and with the new lightning adapter is now able to play Pandora music and Netflix audio on the car's Logic 7 system. The iTunes CD functions still works also. Happy New Year everybody.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:08 PM
Members

Default Usability?

Stupid questions but i'm curious as to how this works since I'm considering installing the OEM interface and spec dock for my iPhone 5. When the phone is plugged in, does the screen change to the BMW logo and control can only be done through idrive? Or can you use the phone like usual while plugged in? Will Bluetooth still connect and the phone work as normal when plugged in?

Thanks!
Old 02-27-2013, 01:25 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 528i

I just purchased a 2008 528i does anyone know what i would need to connect my iphone 5 so it can display on the screen? If it's even possible?
Old 06-17-2013, 08:36 PM
Members

My Ride: '08 535xi Sport/Premium Auto w/ Navigation. Alpine White.

Originally Posted by mikeyd
I just purchased a 2008 528i does anyone know what i would need to connect my iphone 5 so it can display on the screen? If it's even possible?
You will need the BMW iPhone Y Adapter cable (USB & Audio to 30 pin Apple Connector) plus the iPhone 5 30 pin to Lightning pigtail adapter cable.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:00 AM
New Members

My Ride: bmw

do you guys have a link for the retrofit kit you bought (or part number)? I have a 04 545 and I am interested in doing the retrofit.

thanks!