Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

iPhone 3GS pairing

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 03:31 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 525i: Premium PKG, Automatic, Cold Weather PKG, Xenon Headlights, Sat Prep;

I have a 2005 525i that was a 10/04 build. I have been successfully using a Blackberry Pearl with the bluetooth connection for the last 3.5 years (and had successfully used a Sony Ericsson with Bluetooth prior to that). I just got a new iPhone 3GS and tried to pair today. The phone recognizes the car and asks me to enter a PIN. I do so and on the car's screen it asks me "Add Device". I select that and then input the PIN I had input into the phone and then it hit enter. immediately I get a message on the iPhone stating that it could not pair with BMW5xxxx. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for any feedback in advance.

Mike
Old 05-14-2010, 08:41 PM
Members

Well, not sure what iDrive format yours looks like, but I can suggest a pointer anyways- interesting situation for me: Had a Nokia E51 and 3GS which paired in a certain way. And the BB Bold 9700 which paired in a different way!!

E51 and 3GS: Start searching for the devices. When scanned, the 3GS will show your BMWxxxx as visible. Click on to connect. Now- first try to enter the pwd (eg lets take 4-zeroes: 0000) as the pin. Then after entering 0000 on the iDrive, pull down your controller to "Confirm Passkey" and click on it. Its only then that the phone should prompt/ask you for the Pin.
So basically- try to enter the passkey on the car first and then the 3GS.

BB BOld: Exactly the opp!!

All the best!
Old 05-15-2010, 05:20 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 525i: Premium PKG, Automatic, Cold Weather PKG, Xenon Headlights, Sat Prep;

Thanks! This helped a lot in getting it paired (that and me realizing I was missing a step0.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:16 PM
Members

Sure Mike! Most welcome! Glad to hear it paired up. Do you have another problem- that under A-Z in your iDrive Communications menu, only the names upto "M" show up and not "N" onwards till "Z". For some reason thats the way it is on mine. Dont know why and cant figure it out. Otherwise the phone pairs up quite well I'd say!
Old 05-25-2010, 05:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 Mercedes CLS63 AMG Designo Graphite with white leather interior Keyless Go, Heated/Ventilated seats, Parktronic

Originally Posted by krisaowa
Sure Mike! Most welcome! Glad to hear it paired up. Do you have another problem- that under A-Z in your iDrive Communications menu, only the names upto "M" show up and not "N" onwards till "Z". For some reason thats the way it is on mine. Dont know why and cant figure it out. Otherwise the phone pairs up quite well I'd say!

Just a stab in the dark, but it sounds as though you might have too many phonebook entries. How many do you have?