Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Iphone 3G poor call quality and contact selection problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 12:48 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 525D M Sport, Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather

Hi,
Still kinda new to the E60, I have tried the search for this but dont see any exact matches
I'm hoping that the E60 gurus[sup]TM[/sup] can help me out here.

My new (to me) '05 525D M Sport Touring is awesome, I love it.

The telephone prep however is proving next to useless.

I can hear callers fine, but if I'm moving, the callers report my voice as "muffled" "speaking through a sock" or "broken up".

I have spoken to my local dealer as the car has extended warranty, but so far the response that I have had is not great:

"try not pointing the vents at you or upwards" - turned all air off, no change.
"try adjusting the speed sensitive volume upwards" - tried all settings no change
"try using another phone, we dont know if the Iphone is on the 'approved phone lists. just because it works doesnt mean it works fully"

Second issue is when trying to select contacts from the list, the first few under each contact are fine, however the idrive knob resists selecting any more. Kicking back as if there are no more options. There are other contacts in the list as i "perservered" with twisting the knob today and there they are! I do not want to carry on with this however as it feels like I might break something.

Any ideas folks? is it a duff mic? anyone else have the problems with the Iphone or other phones

Many thanks in advance, I'm coming from an S2000 with parrot kit in, our passat also has a parrot. both work flawlessly, so this is doing my head in.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

For your 1s issue, you might want to replace the mic (up in the front center console). In some earlier models, the mic has issue with wind noise or muffed sound. The part is pretty inexpensive. You can actually replace it yourself by prying open the console and unplug the old one. Good luck!
Old 06-17-2009, 06:21 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by unity_neil' post='913581' date='Jun 16 2009, 04:48 PM
Hi,
Still kinda new to the E60, I have tried the search for this but dont see any exact matches
I'm hoping that the E60 gurus[sup]TM[/sup] can help me out here.

My new (to me) '05 525D M Sport Touring is awesome, I love it.

The telephone prep however is proving next to useless.

I can hear callers fine, but if I'm moving, the callers report my voice as "muffled" "speaking through a sock" or "broken up".

I have spoken to my local dealer as the car has extended warranty, but so far the response that I have had is not great:

"try not pointing the vents at you or upwards" - turned all air off, no change.
"try adjusting the speed sensitive volume upwards" - tried all settings no change
"try using another phone, we dont know if the Iphone is on the 'approved phone lists. just because it works doesnt mean it works fully"

Second issue is when trying to select contacts from the list, the first few under each contact are fine, however the idrive knob resists selecting any more. Kicking back as if there are no more options. There are other contacts in the list as i "perservered" with twisting the knob today and there they are! I do not want to carry on with this however as it feels like I might break something.

Any ideas folks? is it a duff mic? anyone else have the problems with the Iphone or other phones

Many thanks in advance, I'm coming from an S2000 with parrot kit in, our passat also has a parrot. both work flawlessly, so this is doing my head in.
possibly the mic. not the phone. the service guy is an idiot for telling you the iphone may not be on the approved phone list. i havnent seen the list, but every picture on the BMWUSA website that references a cell phone has a pic of teh iphone. BMW practically advertises it as "the phone to have"
Old 06-17-2009, 11:47 PM
Members

Thanks guys. I'll have a look at getting the mic. does anyone have a part no. and suggested supplier in the UK. or will it be a "stealer only" part?

any ideas on the contact selection via iDrive? I have discovered that the other contacts are also selectable from the steering wheel buttons so have a workaround. It soiund like a software issue to me....would love to get the s/w updated to enable MP3 playback, Stealer wants 200 quid for a s/w update.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:52 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by unity_neil' post='915465' date='Jun 18 2009, 03:47 AM
Thanks guys. I'll have a look at getting the mic. does anyone have a part no. and suggested supplier in the UK. or will it be a "stealer only" part?

any ideas on the contact selection via iDrive? I have discovered that the other contacts are also selectable from the steering wheel buttons so have a workaround. It soiund like a software issue to me....would love to get the s/w updated to enable MP3 playback, Stealer wants 200 quid for a s/w update.

\ BMW parts catalog \ BMW 5' E60 \ Europe, Sedan \ 525d (M57N) \ Part groups \ Communication systems \ Single parts f hands-free facility

Hands free telephone microphone

84 31 6 938 762

I am sure it is a stealer only part.

-------------------------------------------------

no clue what do do about teh software update. if you bring your car in for work, i believe they should update it at no charge, but i am not sure. things are different in the US anyway
Old 06-18-2009, 01:54 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530D SE; Mystic Blue; Beige Leather; Luxury Pack; Media Pack; Visibility Pack; 123's; Logic 7; + to many more to type........... 2008 730D; Black Sapphire; Cream Beige Leather; plenty of options!

Originally Posted by unity_neil' post='915465' date='Jun 18 2009, 08:47 AM

The resistant effect you describe is normal on your 05 model; you will not break anything by pushing against this resistance - this ?feature? inhibits overshooting i.e. controls spinning too fast which would make highlighting/selecting problematic; also, it helps with slowing the screen refresh requirement of the system (IMO that is.) This ?feature? has been updated in later models circa 07 onwards.

Good fortune with you e60......................
Old 06-19-2009, 12:26 AM
Members

The audio/call quality on my Iphone 3G on E61 2004 was very poor. I actually used a 2nd phone in the car just for this reason.

Now after updating the Iphone to firmware 3.0 the quality has improved dramatically. So all is fine now!
Old 06-19-2009, 12:55 PM
Members

Originally Posted by mini_me' post='916761' date='Jun 19 2009, 09:26 AM
The audio/call quality on my Iphone 3G on E61 2004 was very poor. I actually used a 2nd phone in the car just for this reason.

Now after updating the Iphone to firmware 3.0 the quality has improved dramatically. So all is fine now!
Well mini me made me think, I updated my Iphone to 3.0 and have made a call that could be heard all the way through!

I'll monitor and report. Thanks for all all the information guys! the idrive selector info was particularly useful.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:16 AM
Members

It is useful.....