Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Incoming calls shown as 'Unknown Caller' with Iphone 4

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 02:56 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2004 e60 530d with professional sat nav & bluetooth. (CCC)

I have recently upgraded to an iphone 4 (running IOS 5.1.1) and whenever I receive a call, the idrive displays 'unknown caller' even though the number is in my phonebook. My phonebook/contacts have synced perfectly to the car and making calls from the idrive phonebook works fine and displays just as it should.

I never had this problem with my previous phone (sony ericsson) so it's obviously a compatibility issue with the iphone. I have tried repairing with the car and even restoring the iphone, but nothing fixes it. I'm hoping I don't have to update the software on the idrive/bluetooth module, but I'm beginning to think this is my only option...unless someone is aware of an easier solution?

I have searched the forum and found that others have had the same problem in the past with no obvious fix.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:15 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwfive
I have a 2004 e60 530d with professional sat nav & bluetooth. (CCC)

I have recently upgraded to an iphone 4 (running IOS 5.1.1) and whenever I receive a call, the idrive displays 'unknown caller' even though the number is in my phonebook. My phonebook/contacts have synced perfectly to the car and making calls from the idrive phonebook works fine and displays just as it should.

I never had this problem with my previous phone (sony ericsson) so it's obviously a compatibility issue with the iphone. I have tried repairing with the car and even restoring the iphone, but nothing fixes it. I'm hoping I don't have to update the software on the idrive/bluetooth module, but I'm beginning to think this is my only option...unless someone is aware of an easier solution?

I have searched the forum and found that others have had the same problem in the past with no obvious fix.
I've had dumb phones and now Android paired to my BMW BT modules since 2001 ... even numbers from incoming callers NOT in my phone book display the number - if it's in my phone book I see the name and whether it's M/H or W (Mobile, Home, Work).
I suspect it's an Apple design issue ... I've never never never needed a TCU "update" to have this functionality but then again I'm not an Appleholic .
Old 09-02-2012, 07:46 AM
Members

I wouldn't be surprised. This is the first apple product I've owned so I wouldn't call myself an 'appleaholic'. (I've always found apple quite restrictive)
I just hope there is some way of getting this to work without updating my idrive.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:11 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwfive
I wouldn't be surprised. This is the first apple product I've owned so I wouldn't call myself an 'appleaholic'. (I've always found apple quite restrictive)
I just hope there is some way of getting this to work without updating my idrive.
I think the "problem" is with the Apple phone - Not BMW's TCU. I recommend looking for any updates to the firmware / software for the phone. Only use Apple update links because phones updated with others can cause more problems than they seem to correct.

I have been annoyed with the Apple Only position BMW started to take during the past couple years but maybe they've woken up as the Android market share continues to grow and grow. I have been reading that their "smart Apps" will now communicate with Droids too.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:02 AM
Members

The phone is on 5.1.1 firmware. (which is the latest)
I agree that the problem is obviously with the phone as my previous phone worked fine. The only reason I mentioned updating the car's software is because it's quite possible that it may improve compatibility?

I was just hoping that I had missed something simple in the settings of the phone and maybe someone who had experienced the same problem could point me in the right direction.