Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

I want bluetooth...

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 07:41 PM
Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2004 525i, Silver Gray Metallic on gray, Logic7,Adaptive Xenons
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

According to the original info from the sale of my car back in 2004 it came pre-wired for bluetooth but never "set up"? Most bmw's come pre-wired for every option just minus the hardware at the other end of those wires. Sooo how do I figure out if my car can have bluetooth set up or installed or what not? Do yall honestly use the bluetooth? Or does the novelty wear off shortly? Is it smooth or does it have glitches in how well it pairs with devices?
Old 07-21-2010, 09:50 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1
Old 07-21-2010, 10:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

I use my bluetooth. Actually prefer to talk in my car nowadays, lol.

I am not sure about the car actually having the bluetooth module, if I recall correctly, I think that it's the late 2005 that has the module and just not turned on. In 2006, they became standard. I guess the easy way to tell is to go take apart the boot location on the driver's trunk side, and see if you have it.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:34 AM
Contributors

On board and integrated BT is way more preferable to after-market add-ons. It's much easier to have your radio/CD switch to Phone when receiving / making a call.

That said, pairing has some limitations as it's not a hard-wired connection between phone and car unless you buy and install the docking hardware. But as fast as phones change you might not want to switch those out every year or two.

I don't know exactly what you'll have to buy / install for your e60 - my '07 came equipped. And I'm pretty sure that some BMW Dealer coding will be necessary.

I did a full retro fit on my '01 740i a few years back and it was relatively easy from a parts point of view everything had a place and fit where iw was supposed to - plug and play.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

build dates (check the sticker on your driver's doorsill) from 03/2004 through 09/2004 can have the bluetooth activated via a software update, but be prepared to pay for the update. Vehicles made prior to that need a new TCU module in the trunk and the same programming.

having said that, I use mine daily and would go nuts in a car without it.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:46 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 525i, Silver Gray Metallic on gray, Logic7,Adaptive Xenons
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Ooohh that might be a problem, can't remember the build date on my car but it was purchased in april of '04. Hopefully I wouldn't need new hardware. Is the bluetooth controller in the trunk on the left side, opposite of the fuses/battery? Should it be in plain view or behind the trunk panel? because theres an empty "bay" in that panel that looks like it would fit a 6-disc changer but thats in the glovebox soo I suppose thats where the bluetooth would be if I had it?
Old 07-23-2010, 06:39 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: M3
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by PaoChe
According to the original info from the sale of my car back in 2004 it came pre-wired for bluetooth but never "set up"? Most bmw's come pre-wired for every option just minus the hardware at the other end of those wires. Sooo how do I figure out if my car can have bluetooth set up or installed or what not? Do yall honestly use the bluetooth? Or does the novelty wear off shortly? Is it smooth or does it have glitches in how well it pairs with devices?
The E60 came standard with Assist in MY2004 however that Assist TCU installed between 03/04 and 08/04 production did not have a functional Bluetooth section -according to BMW. What you need to do is replace that MY2004 TCU with a MY2006 TCU which has Bluetooth and Voice Control for the phone. MY2005 TCU are suspect, as they did came with Bluetooth but some of the early production did not come with the Voice Control for the phone, so a MY2006 TCU is a sure bet. An used TCU will have the Bluetooth and Voice Control section already activated, so it is truly a PnP solution. If you are a current Assist subscriber then you will need to re-code that TCU to your VIN at your dealer.

Most probably you will find an used MY2006-on TCU on eBay really cheap.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by Technic
The E60 came standard with Assist in MY2004 however that Assist TCU installed between 03/04 and 08/04 production did not have a functional Bluetooth section -according to BMW. What you need to do is replace that MY2004 TCU with a MY2006 TCU which has Bluetooth and Voice Control for the phone. MY2005 TCU are suspect, as they did came with Bluetooth but some of the early production did not come with the Voice Control for the phone, so a MY2006 TCU is a sure bet. An used TCU will have the Bluetooth and Voice Control section already activated, so it is truly a PnP solution. If you are a current Assist subscriber then you will need to re-code that TCU to your VIN at your dealer.

Most probably you will find an used MY2006-on TCU on eBay really cheap.

just fyi, I have a 10/04 build car and the bluetooth and VR work like a champ.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Yep, it's going to take a new or refurb TCU (dealer will not program a used one) and it has to be OEM. I found that out when I tried to get mine activated and found out 2 things: 1) My TCU has BT capability, but is malfunctioning and 2) It's not covered under CPO warranty - lovely. So I just said "screw it" and decided to stick with my BT headset, which works fine and cost $60 as opposed to the replacement TCU and programming - $800 minimum. My advice? Get a good BT headset and be done with it
Old 07-27-2010, 01:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i Silver Grey, Grey Dakota Leather, Premium, Adaptive Xenon, L7. Mods: Sprint Booster V1, 8000k GP Thunder Headlight, 8000k HID fogs, LED Interior, LED License Plate, Rear Red Reflectors Wish List: Mtech Kit, Style 172 Rims, KSport Coilovers, Shadowline Trim.

I have an 04 530i, just checked my box in the back and it has the bluetooth symbol on it and the serial number starts with 811...whatever. doesn't this mean that my TCU is bluetooth capable, just needs dealer programming?

Quick Reply: I want bluetooth...