Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

How do I refresh the address list

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 03:01 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I paired my BB8700, no problem. It immediately added my address book into the car's software. I have since added many names into my address book, but those do not appear on the car's menu, just the first list.

Is there a way to refresh the listing?
Old 04-03-2007, 06:32 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zanotti' post='409989' date='Apr 3 2007, 07:01 PM
I paired my BB8700, no problem. It immediately added my address book into the car's software. I have since added many names into my address book, but those do not appear on the car's menu, just the first list.

Is there a way to refresh the listing?
The address book is downloaded to your car every time you pair. If you have created "groups" then your 8700 will only be able to download the addresses up to the point it will hit the first group.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

It's true that caller groups will block the address book from further transfers but to clarify things, I don't think the entire book is transferred each time you get in the car, only when you setup the pairing. I do think that the car and phone eventually sync up but a sure-fire way to force the refresh is to delete the device from the car and re-pair it. (You don't have to delete the car from the phone, just the phone from the car -- once that's done, at least in the case of a BlackBerry, you simply do to the phone's BT options menu (Options|Bluetooth), select the listing for the car and choose "connect" to force the pairing again -- obviously, you need to go to the Settings|Bluetooth menu of the car to allow the car to see the phone again.)

Once you re-pair, you'll notice the address book takes a long time to display. That's because it's refreshing the entire book, not just new entries, etc.

The bottom line is that if you're not running into the caller groups bug described earlier, you either have to be patient or force the issue by re-pairing the devices...
Old 04-03-2007, 07:28 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='410051' date='Apr 3 2007, 11:22 PM
It's true that caller groups will block the address book from further transfers but to clarify things, I don't think the entire book is transferred each time you get in the car, only when you setup the pairing. I do think that the car and phone eventually sync up but a sure-fire way to force the refresh is to delete the device from the car and re-pair it. (You don't have to delete the car from the phone, just the phone from the car -- once that's done, at least in the case of a BlackBerry, you simply do to the phone's BT options menu (Options|Bluetooth), select the listing for the car and choose "connect" to force the pairing again -- obviously, you need to go to the Settings|Bluetooth menu of the car to allow the car to see the phone again.)

Once you re-pair, you'll notice the address book takes a long time to display. That's because it's refreshing the entire book, not just new entries, etc.

The bottom line is that if you're not running into the caller groups bug described earlier, you either have to be patient or force the issue by re-pairing the devices...
I am not sure if your statement is accurate Rudy. I have noticed that I see my address book changes in the car without having to turn off/on the bluetooth and re-pair it. Then again I am talking from my experience with the 7130 and not the 8700 but I don't believe they are different. I will test it again tomorrow and let you know.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

I think we're saying the same thing. Changes do show up without re-pairing but in my experiences, they don't always show up instantly. Sometimes they show up quickly and sometimes they show up after some time. The book is cached in the car so when the car sees the phone for the first time, the entire book is sent (which is why it takes so long) but once that's done, a copy is kept in the car and only new entries are added as time goes on.

Again, I've seen it work quickly and I've seen it take time. I don't know the reason why it acts differently which is why I said that if you want to force a refresh, just delete and re-pair and you'll be sure to get all entries, new and old...
Old 04-04-2007, 09:20 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='410061' date='Apr 3 2007, 10:49 PM
I think we're saying the same thing. Changes do show up without re-pairing but in my experiences, they don't always show up instantly. Sometimes they show up quickly and sometimes they show up after some time. The book is cached in the car so when the car sees the phone for the first time, the entire book is sent (which is why it takes so long) but once that's done, a copy is kept in the car and only new entries are added as time goes on.

Again, I've seen it work quickly and I've seen it take time. I don't know the reason why it acts differently which is why I said that if you want to force a refresh, just delete and re-pair and you'll be sure to get all entries, new and old...

Interesting. I would have doubted you, so I just went out to the car to do the delete/repair and low and behold the entire directory was there!

It took pretty much a day and several rebooting to get there, but it is there without the delete/repair steps.

Thanks!

Now, about those swirl marks in the black paint......
Old 04-04-2007, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Zanotti' post='410242' date='Apr 4 2007, 01:20 PM
Interesting. I would have doubted you, so I just went out to the car to do the delete/repair and low and behold the entire directory was there!

It took pretty much a day and several rebooting to get there, but it is there without the delete/repair steps.

Thanks!

Now, about those swirl marks in the black paint......
Well there you go then! Can't help with the swirls though -- I'm sure you'll find some help in the detailing forum...