Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Help with Bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 09:02 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Bluetooth

Hi there,
I have a 2004 525i.
I am wondering if I can use bluetooth.
1) car was made 09/2003
2) I use iPhone bluetooth to search, could not find New device (BMW). My iPhone bluetooth can easily find my pioneer receiver in another car.
3) I could not find bluetooth command in iDrive.
4) some threads say at the time the car was produced, this car does not have bluetooth hardware. But I found a card in the Manual with a bluetooth passkey.

My question is: does my phone have Bluetooth installed? Did I miss anything?

Thanks in advance for any help.

With best regards

HB

Last edited by hzhang; 10-01-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

With your build date you will need to replace the TCU and update the software in your car if it was not done previously. Pre 03/2004 TCU's would not permit complete BT functionality.

If I recall correctly, 2004 models produced before 06/2004 were shipped with BT turned off and required software to be updated to function properly.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:20 PM
New Members

Thanks ademitt. My problem is why I have this card with Bluetooth passkey on it.

Appreciate your time.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

They all came with the card. I went through exactly the same process on my 2004 530. Once the BT software is enabled the phone will pair, you will be able to dial out and hear people on the other end but they will not hear you until the TCU is replaced.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by ademitt
With your build date you will need to replace the TCU and update the software in your car if it was not done previously. Pre 03/2004 TCU's would not permit complete BT functionality.

If I recall correctly, 2004 models produced before 06/2004 were shipped with BT turned off and required software to be updated to function properly.
TCU's before 3/2004 were hardware-disabled. There is no way to activate. The reason is a post-manufacturing defect was discovered with the units in US-spec cars. The problem lies with BMW Assist telematics. The units had trouble properly engaging emergency telematics with bluetooth enabled (processing issue). Telematics couldn't be assured while bluetooth was enabled. Safety was chosen over functionality and the bluetooth radios disabled until they could develop a more robust architecture that would allow simultaneous Assist and bluetooth capabilities. Those were released beginning 03/2004.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:50 AM
New Members

Thank you both for your time.

What is the best solution for me? I prefer to have Bluetooth and USB or aux input for music since I do not want to burn cd all the time. I also want to use the original control buttons.

I found a Grom kit. It costs 500$. Is there any cheaper solutions?
Old 10-03-2012, 12:40 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by advancedlogic
TCU's before 3/2004 were hardware-disabled. There is no way to activate. The reason is a post-manufacturing defect was discovered with the units in US-spec cars. The problem lies with BMW Assist telematics. The units had trouble properly engaging emergency telematics with bluetooth enabled (processing issue). Telematics couldn't be assured while bluetooth was enabled. Safety was chosen over functionality and the bluetooth radios disabled until they could develop a more robust architecture that would allow simultaneous Assist and bluetooth capabilities. Those were released beginning 03/2004.
While trying to get my March 1 2004 production E60 to work with my BT phone, the dealership was able to enable BT but callers could not hear me. I could hear them and dial out but they could not hear me. The dealer did confirm that the BT issue was with having ASSIST and BT service operating simultaneously. My car was officially completed on the 1st of March but I must have gotten one of the last original design TCU's.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:46 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by hzhang
Thank you both for your time.

What is the best solution for me? I prefer to have Bluetooth and USB or aux input for music since I do not want to burn cd all the time. I also want to use the original control buttons.

I found a Grom kit. It costs 500$. Is there any cheaper solutions?
You will not be able to retrofit an OEM ipod adapter for your car given the build date. You will be able to use an AUX in connection that could be located in your glovebox. You will have control over volume on your ipod but that is all. Track selection is not possible with the AUX in retrofit. I do not think you will be able to retrofit a USB connection in your car given the build date.

You may want to check with Dension to see if they still have retrofit kits for the early production E60's. Many people used them rather than the OEM kits as they reportedly had more functionality than the BMW OEM products. look them up at iPod Car | iPod car Adapters | iPhone Car Kit | iPhone Car Adapter | Hands Free Car Kits - Dension
Old 10-03-2012, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by hzhang
Hi there,
I have a 2004 525i.
I am wondering if I can use bluetooth.
1) car was made 09/2003
2) I use iPhone bluetooth to search, could not find New device (BMW). My iPhone bluetooth can easily find my pioneer receiver in another car.
3) I could not find bluetooth command in iDrive.
4) some threads say at the time the car was produced, this car does not have bluetooth hardware. But I found a card in the Manual with a bluetooth passkey.

My question is: does my phone have Bluetooth installed? Did I miss anything?

Thanks in advance for any help.

With best regards

HB
In addition to searching this forum for older posts (from like 2004-2006 or so), you may be able to go the BTUM (bluetooth upgrade module) route. It's been a while since I thought about this so I don't remember all the details (which is why searching the forum for old info is best) but you may be able to retrofit the CPT-9000 interface and get a BTUM.

This may be simpler than the TCU upgrade but then again, I can't say for sure. There are tons of posts about the BTUM so please do some searching and see what may work for you...

Good luck!
Old 10-03-2012, 02:06 PM
New Members

Thank you Rudy and ademitt.
Your inputs are really appreciated.

HB

Quick Reply: Help with Bluetooth