Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Got A BlackBerry 8700c

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 07:27 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530Xi - Navigation, Premium package, Steptronic.

I just got a BlackBerry 8700c with AT&T. Everything seems to work great...320-entry address book transfers, outgoing calls work fine with I-Drive, etc. My problem is that I can't get Voice Command to dial from the address book. Has anyone got some advice about exactly what format or order of words I can use to get it to dial a number? I have generally found Voice Command to be bordering on useless in my 2007 5er...perhaps this is something the dealer should address?
Old 09-16-2007, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

What happens when you use the "dial name" command? Does the system respond with any prompt?
Old 09-16-2007, 09:54 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='469940' date='Sep 16 2007, 12:21 PM
What happens when you use the "dial name" command? Does the system respond with any prompt?
When I ask it to dial a name, the reply the system provides is: "Options" most often, and when it doesn't do that, it suggests a name which bears absolutely no relation to the name requested. E.G.: If ask it to "Dial Beth" it responds with "Do you want to call Slowe?" When I answer "No, dial Beth" it responds with "Voice entry ended."
Old 09-16-2007, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

It sounds like it's not recognizing what you're saying. Does voice control work well for you with other (non-telephone related) functions like nav or entertainment?

One thing to keep in mind with trying to dial by name is that you have to say it just as it's displayed. For example, if you say "dial name" and it says "please say the name" you have to say "Smith John Work" if the contact listing on the CID shows "Smith, John - Work". If the BB is set to first name then last name, then you need to say it that way.

Bottom line, it works fine as long as the system understands what you're saying...
Old 09-18-2007, 04:48 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='470008' date='Sep 16 2007, 04:48 PM
It sounds like it's not recognizing what you're saying. Does voice control work well for you with other (non-telephone related) functions like nav or entertainment?

One thing to keep in mind with trying to dial by name is that you have to say it just as it's displayed. For example, if you say "dial name" and it says "please say the name" you have to say "Smith John Work" if the contact listing on the CID shows "Smith, John - Work". If the BB is set to first name then last name, then you need to say it that way.

Bottom line, it works fine as long as the system understands what you're saying...
Well, thanks. I got to drive the 5er today since Mrs. ExGMan was away on a business trip. I took your advice Rudy about asking specifically for the contact listing (I put it up on the screen to see the exact order). I tried 10 different listings in the contact list, stating exactly what was on the screen. Eight tries out of ten Voice Command got it wrong. I tried re-stating, "No, dial Smith, John, mobile" (that's only an example). VC could not get it right. I'm not being negative about technology, I'm hoping to make it work, but I've done everything I can to make it work, followed directions, bought the cards from BAVAuto, etc. and still Voice Command does not work. It's not like I have a Boston (Bah-Stin) accent as I'm from Springfield. Is it possible the VC is just not working?

All that aside, I was blasting along a lonely, isolated, curvy road today, and candidly, Voice Command was the furthest thing from my mind. I'm ready for the next business trip.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

ExGMan

I am having a very similar problem. My BB 8703 (Verizon) is synched, and all of my contacts are visible through iDrive. I can dial all of the names through iDrive. I can voice command by number ("call number"), by I cannot voice command by name ("call name"). i get a "no library" or "no data" (cannot remember the exact word) even though the data appears on the screen.

Let me know if you find a solution and i will do the same.

Rob
Old 09-18-2007, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ExGMan' post='471078
ExGMan

I am having a very similar problem. My BB 8703 (Verizon) is synched, and all of my contacts are visible through iDrive. I can dial all of the names through iDrive. I can voice command by number ("call number"), by I cannot voice command by name ("call name"). i get a "no library" or "no data" (cannot remember the exact word) even though the data appears on the screen.

Rob
Rob,

That's very strange. Have you tried possibly deleting the pairing and bringing it back in? You might also want to rename the BB in the BT options of the phone after deleting but before re-pairing it. That way the car will treat the phone as a newly discovered device (one it's never "seen" before) so it doesn't try to reuse the cached contact list from the original device's name...
Old 09-18-2007, 06:01 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by robg' post='471084' date='Sep 18 2007, 08:58 PM
ExGMan

Rob
Rob - Looks to me like we're in the same place with this. I'm loving the BB, loving the way the car BT gets all the information, and loving the way it all integrates, EXCEPT for the Voice Command. If I could train it to recognize my voice, I'd spend the time (when Mrs. ExGMan lets me drive the car). It seems to be a failure of technology. Maybe it's not ready for prime time?

Anyway, I'll keep working on this, and try to find a solution. After all, I'm a trained investigator...
Old 09-18-2007, 06:16 PM
Contributors

Rudy (&Rob) - Sorry. I kindof messed up the order of posting. Voice Command in my particular 2007 530xi has been inept from day one. We've tried speaking slowly, speaking LOUDLY, and speaking with windows closed, inside in a closed garage. It does not understand anything, and its median response is : "Options." It has been through a couple of Progman changes (now it's maybe 26.xx I guess). It never gets better or "bettah" as folks say around here (he-uh). If there were a way to go back to the dealer (coming up on year one oil change) and say: "Please fix the Voice Command as it won't do X (change radio stations) or do Y (allow input of navigation points)," I'd do that. As it is, we never use it because, in the words of Mrs. ExGMan after she tries to use it: "You stupid car!"

If someone in my area has any success in getting an E60 to respond to voice commands, please PM me. I'll come to your house and take lessons.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

Although it's never 100% accurate, it works fairly well for me (when I use it -- which isn't too often except for the phone stuff) so it really does sound like something may be wrong with your car. I'd go to the dealer and try to see what happens if you issue commands to a different car in the showroom or something. If it works on the dealer's car, show them how it doesn't work on yours and ask them if they can make it work...

Quick Reply: Got A BlackBerry 8700c