Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Enabled bluotooth on 2004 545I

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007 | 10:29 AM
Members

Hi,

I thought I would share my experience with other members. My car's build date is Sept' 03 so it's TCU does not have bluetooth support. After going through the various forums here on e60.net, I learned that I needed a newer TCU and then It needs to be reprogrammed/paired to enable bluetooth option. So I purchased a new TCU from one of the member (BMWLuke) on our forums and replaced the TCU myself by following the steps in one of the DIY forums. As expected, I got the "SOS malfunctioned" control message. So I called the dealer and set a service appointment regarding the message and regular meintence was also nearing up. I deliberately did not tell the advisor that I have new TCU in my car and it has to be reprogrammed/paired with my car to get rid of the message because I wanted to know his ideas about the messages. But I did tell him that the TCU might be faulty. The advisor told me that he checked the TCU and everything on the car is fine, but the message is popping up becuase I am not subscribed to the BMW Assist service and there are two solutions,
1) Subscribe to BMW Assist service(!!!)
2) He can do some trick and disable the message from popping up but he need my permission to do that. Obviously this is not what I wanted to do so I ruled out this option immediately.

I was surprised by option 1 because if the problem was due to the service subscription then it would have come up way earlier and I told him the same. He said that it's all handeled by electronics of the car and sometimes it takes more time before the message pops up. At that point I knew I am not going anywhere and decided to give up and tell the truth. So I told him if he can check the TCU again becuase I have recently upgraded my TCU with the newer one which has bluetooth support. And then he was rather quick in telling me that in that case I need to program my TCU and pair it with the car and it would cost me. I said fine. He did whatever was needed to be done and I picked up my car two days after we had that conversion. Everything is working very well now. Bluetooth is enabled and working like a charm.

So I just wanted to thank e60.net and fellow members for making this possible. Also I want to thank BMWLuke for selling me the TCU. This forum is great!!

Bhavi
Old 08-31-2007 | 05:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Excellent! So how much did the dealer charge you to reprogram the TCU and enable BT?
Old 09-04-2007 | 07:22 AM
Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='464707' date='Aug 31 2007, 08:20 PM
Excellent! So how much did the dealer charge you to reprogram the TCU and enable BT?
They charged me $170 to program the TCU and enable the bluetooth. Sounds fair as compared to the other members being charged. I got quotes ranging $250 - $300 from other dealers around chicago. There are 6 BMW dealership within 25 miles of radious from my home. What a competition!