Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!
View Poll Results: Did your dealer charge you for your Bluetooth Retrofit (March 04 and up MY04)?
My dealer charged me for Bluetooth Retrofit
57.89%
My dealer performed Bluetooth Retrofit free of charge
15.79%
My dealer said Bluetooth Retrofit is not possible on my March 04 and up car
26.32%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Did You Pay for Bluetooth Retrofit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 02:12 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lomag' date='Dec 14 2004, 02:45 PM
Bluetooth was never advertised in the U.S. and infact I don't think its even advertised for the 2005 models yet eventhough it's finally working.

You >= March 2004 production cars are lucky. I think I'm in trouble with my Jan build. I'm thinking to go in for a software upgrade and those two recalls sometime early next year. Maybe by then we'll have some more bluetooth info for pre March 2004 build cars.

I'm following the old saying here -- if it ain't broke, don't fix it!?
[snapback]69049[/snapback]
I am guessing that this topic is in reference to 2004MY cars. On 10/28/04, BMW issued their press release on Bluetooth and 2005 models. I cannot find any reference to bluetooth as a "standard" feature prior to 2005MY (not that there isn't any reference, only that I can't find one.)

From the BMWNA website/press release

Which vehicles come with Bluetooth?
Bluetooth is standard equipment on the 2005 5 and 6 Series models as well as the M3 Convertible and X5 4.8is. It is included in all other vehicles equipped with BMW Assist or a Premium Package. It is not offered on the 7 Series, which comes standard with a fully integrated portable cell phone. Some early production 2005 model 3 Series cars are not equipped with Bluetooth. Consult a BMW center for specific availability.

Now the trick is that I have heard of some people having BT problems with 2005 cars manufactured prior to a certain date (9/04?). Although 2005MY, they do not have BT activated, and need the dealer to do and/or install something to make it work. This is tough since they are 2005MY. Even though they were produced prior to the announcement, BMW should have to make good on any necessary retrofit.

--Joe
Old 12-14-2004, 05:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 Olivin/beige 525I, Premium Pkg. Steptronic, M aero kit + trunk lid finisher, AC trunk lid + roof spoiler, 19" Breyton Magic staggered with Toyo T1R tires. 2002 Artic Silver X5 3.0, Premium Pkg, Sports Pkg,

I have a MY2005, 9/04 build and my dealer tried to make me pay 3 hours labor charge to have my bluetooth enabled...but upon me pointing out in their press release stating that bluetooth is standard on MY2005, they decided that it would be free.
Old 12-14-2004, 05:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

It should be free for all MY 2005 E60s. Mine is a June 04 production MY2004. The Sales manager told me many times that BT would not be made available for my car. Despite this they only charged me an hour of labor. It depends on your rapport with the dealership.
Old 12-15-2004, 03:16 AM
Senior Members

welcome aboard, bimmerman !
Old 12-15-2004, 07:34 AM
Members

I have turned my car is for the recall update yesterday, and also asked the dealer to check into installing BT for me. He called me this morning, saying that BT is possible on my 04/04 530, but it is going to cost me $250 for "reprogramming". I asked wasn't the BT feature standard, and he said it is an optional feature that needed to be ordered as an option from the factory. I also asked him which SW version I got now, and he said they updated it to the latest one, but he is not sure which one. I asked him to find out for me. But no BT for me... for now at least. Maybe they will make it free in the future? I have already paid enough for the car, and don't feel like paying ANYTHING else ANYMORE.
Old 12-15-2004, 03:08 PM
Members

I've got some interesting information for everyone:

I just called BMW relations, and they said that cars built BEFORE March 04, are BlueTooth retrofitable. It costs $1700 for the hardware though and needs 13.2 version of software. Did anyone ever hear that before?

Now, as far as mine (Built 04/04), the customer relations person did not have the dollar figure, but said to call the dealer and ask them (which I did, and they said $250). I will call other dealers in the area to find out the competitiveness of this price.

Also, on a sadder note, I had a really bad experience with my service team: The service advisor was not knowledgeable at all, when I asked him which software version I have, he said he doesn't know. I asked him to find out for me, and he didn't. Then when the car was delivered back to me, the driver guy rolled to me with all windows open, radio on, came out of the car, engine on, left the door wide open, passed right by me, didn't say a word and disappeared. I was waiting for anyone to come in to confirm anything [that I can take my car], but noone did, so I just sat in the car and drove away (what if it wouldn't be me who drove away)???

I was so disappointed with this silence treatment, poor manners and complete lack of customer service that I would expect from a luxury car dealership, that I decided not to ever go back to that service department (even though it is the closest one to my house) and reported this to BMW Customer relations (who were very courteous, just as they should!).

I love the bimmer, but I don't like the dealership.
Old 12-15-2004, 03:14 PM
Senior Members

i hear you. my dealer is not much better :'(.
Old 12-15-2004, 05:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by bimmerman' date='Dec 15 2004, 05:08 PM
I've got some interesting information for everyone:

I just called BMW relations, and they said that cars built BEFORE March 04, are BlueTooth retrofitable. It costs $1700 for the hardware though and needs 13.2 version of software. Did anyone ever hear that before?

Now, as far as mine (Built 04/04), the customer relations person did not have the dollar figure, but said to call the dealer and ask them (which I did, and they said $250). I will call other dealers in the area to find out the competitiveness of this price.

Also, on a sadder note, I had a really bad experience with my service team: The service advisor was not knowledgeable at all, when I asked him which software version I have, he said he doesn't know. I asked him to find out for me, and he didn't. Then when the car was delivered back to me, the driver guy rolled to me with all windows open, radio on, came out of the car, engine on, left the door wide open, passed right by me, didn't say a word and disappeared. I was waiting for anyone to come in to confirm anything [that I can take my car], but noone did, so I just sat in the car and drove away (what if it wouldn't be me who drove away)???

I was so disappointed with this silence treatment, poor manners and complete lack of customer service that I would expect from a luxury car dealership, that I decided not to ever go back to that service department (even though it is the closest one to my house) and reported this to BMW Customer relations (who were very courteous, just as they should!).

[snapback]69491[/snapback]
Its a shame when the dealership are such d@#k heads. The $1700 is simply a complete CCC upgrade. They upgrade the module to the post March production one. Those with post March computers just need a software update. If your relationship with your dealer is good (which in your case I doubt) you can complain about issues like slow boot up and response and they should claim the labor for the upgrade under warranty. I believe it is V13.3 that has BT. I had 13.2 and it was the upgrade that got me the full BT functionality.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:02 PM

Actually, I think I have been updated to a more recent version (I no longer see the temperature settings on the home screen). My dealer did not tell me which version I have though as he didn't know. BMW Customer Relations said that in their records, 13.2 and up is required ALONG with a hardware retrofit kit that will enable the bluetooth functionality...

just some ideas to put out there if anyone's interested...

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Dec 15 2004, 09:58 PM
[quote name='bimmerman' date='Dec 15 2004, 05:08 PM']I've got some interesting information for everyone:

[snapback]69491[/snapback]
Its a shame when the dealership are such d@#k heads. The $1700 is simply a complete CCC upgrade. They upgrade the module to the post March production one. Those with post March computers just need a software update. If your relationship with your dealer is good (which in your case I doubt) you can complain about issues like slow boot up and response and they should claim the labor for the upgrade under warranty. I believe it is V13.3 that has BT. I had 13.2 and it was the upgrade that got me the full BT functionality.
[snapback]69544[/snapback]
[/quote]
Old 12-15-2004, 07:04 PM
Members

That was me, sorry - forgot to log in.

Quick Reply: Did You Pay for Bluetooth Retrofit?