Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Device to Improve Cell Phone Reception within 5 er

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 04:39 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

I just stumbled across this when looking for a similar product for my house. I have not tried this so I cannot personally address its usability, but it looks promising. They even use the 5 er for their diagram of the system on their website. How's that for good karma? Close to the top of my wishlist for my 08 535d (my new 5 er US diesel), is better cell phone functionality within my car.

Their website: http://www.wi-ex.com/Page3428.aspx.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:42 AM
Senior Members

Never had any problems via bluetooth.

What I DON'T understand is whether mounting the phone in my cradle gives anything more than charging. eg somekind of signal enhancement by electrical/electronic coupling to the shark fin for example.

ABC
Old 12-01-2006, 04:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='362488' date='Dec 1 2006, 07:42 AM
What I DON'T understand is whether mounting the phone in my cradle gives anything more than charging. eg somekind of signal enhancement by electrical/electronic coupling to the shark fin for example.
The cradle connects the phone to the sharkfin which should improve the cell phone reception. As we speak I am having a cradle installed by my BMW Center in an attempt to improve my cell phone reception and audio quality. My service advisor told me yesterday that BMW has made noticeable improvements to the Bluetooth audio quality since I purchased my March 04 build 545.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Paul, I've seen that product in a catalog (along with the 5er diagram) as well. Can't say if it's worth it but I will say that I've discovered that BT audio quality is dependent on what phone you're using too.

My 3/2004 build car came with the CPT-9000. Everyone complained about sound quality to the point where BMW replaced the microphone with one of a "newer design." I then switched to BT and used both a Treo 650 and a Nokia 6230. I got more complaints about the Treo than with the Nokia (but still got complaints with the Nokia.)

Now, I'm using a BlackBerry 8700c and no more complaints! Nothing was changed on the car since BT was activated a year or so ago.

I know that may not help your situation today but I thought it might be an important thing to note as you (and others) troubleshoot issues of sound quality, etc.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:41 PM
Senior Members

My service advisor called and informed me that the new cradle with shark fin antenna functionality did not work. They will not charge me, but I did get the latest and greatest software upgrade for free. I am thinking about getting the new product listed in my first post.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Before you go down that path, have you tried a simple experiment?

Go to an area of relatively poor signal, switch off Bluetooth and make a call from inside the car. (I'm not advising that you do that while moving, as it's possibly illegal, but bigger crimes have been committed in the name of the advancement of science )

If sound quality is acceptable to the recipient, then it's not a question of signal strength, but of voice signal getting corrupted through the BT interface. A signal amplifier will not cure it. A change of phone may - as posted by Rudy.

BTW I have a Nokia 6233/6234 and it works fine, as does the 7293 BlackBerry, and that's without a cradle/external aerial connection for either. Sound is not worse than when using a wired HF kit.