Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Default password, acceptance procedure

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 06:06 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 550i; Alpine White/Black Dakota/MSport/SAT/IAS/Driver Assistance/ConveniencePkg/Prem Pkg 2/4 Zone AC/Side-Top Cameras/HUD & Black panel/BMW Apps-iPhone 4 Media/M Decklid spolier /Ventureshiled clear bra/ V1 -Ordered 4/9/11, Production 4/19, Shipped on Martorell 4/23,Arrived Port Hueneme 5/19,Delivered 5/21/11

So my Verizon Treo 700P battery died, in the process turned off bluetooth. Phone would not re pair.

I deleted devices, on phone and E60.

Afterwards starting pairing process from scratch Phone recognizes E60, car recognizes 700P.In trying to re pair devices used BMW deafult password of "00000" in both devices

Now, at this point after entering password in phone and car, the "confirm passkey" on I Drive screen doesnt illuminate/accept. Cant get pass this point

What am I missing??
Old 09-22-2006, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I can't say exactly without playing around in the car but one thing I'd try is a different passcode. There is no "default" passkey, you just make one up during the pairing process. Try using 1234 on both the phone and the car and see if that works.

(I assume you've followed the instructions in the telephone user's manual...
Old 09-22-2006, 10:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i; Alpine White/Black Dakota/MSport/SAT/IAS/Driver Assistance/ConveniencePkg/Prem Pkg 2/4 Zone AC/Side-Top Cameras/HUD & Black panel/BMW Apps-iPhone 4 Media/M Decklid spolier /Ventureshiled clear bra/ V1 -Ordered 4/9/11, Production 4/19, Shipped on Martorell 4/23,Arrived Port Hueneme 5/19,Delivered 5/21/11

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='337630' date='Sep 22 2006, 08:10 PM
I can't say exactly without playing around in the car but one thing I'd try is a different passcode. There is no "default" passkey, you just make one up during the pairing process. Try using 1234 on both the phone and the car and see if that works.

(I assume you've followed the instructions in the telephone user's manual...
1234 doesnt work. Checked in w/ my dealer and they said "00000".I think this is the break down point. My E60 doesnt seem to recognize the identical code vs/vs from the phone. Key punch error, no.

What your're saying is that any sequence of #'s, as long as they are identical , should allow the partners to pair...correct?

Does the "Confirm passkey" acceptance process happen automatically once the passkey's have synced up?, or do you need to do something.

If so, what...when I wait and press IDrive controller, and then system moves to prior screen and cancels process.. If I do nothing, Treo doesnt accept ...but does clearly recognize..

Passkey dilemna
Old 09-23-2006, 12:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Bluetooth pairing works either by having a preset, fixed passkey on one device (normally for "simple" devices, like earpieces) or a matching "random" key on both devices. So, there is no "default" - if both devices allow entry of a passkey, as long as the keys match the devices should pair.

Have you tried re-setting the Treo totally? I assume there is a procedure to do that.

The dealer doesn't know its (blue)tooth from its gluteus maximus, if you allow me the mixed simile. The code can be any sequence of numbers, with a minimum of 4 digits IIRC. I used the VIN...
Old 09-23-2006, 06:04 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 545i now' post='337664' date='Sep 23 2006, 02:46 AM
1234 doesnt work. Checked in w/ my dealer and they said "00000".I think this is the break down point. My E60 doesnt seem to recognize the identical code vs/vs from the phone. Key punch error, no.

What your're saying is that any sequence of #'s, as long as they are identical , should allow the partners to pair...correct?

Does the "Confirm passkey" acceptance process happen automatically once the passkey's have synced up?, or do you need to do something.

If so, what...when I wait and press IDrive controller, and then system moves to prior screen and cancels process.. If I do nothing, Treo doesnt accept ...but does clearly recognize..
Passkey dilemna
The dealer is incorrect -- as dlevi67 said above, most BT devices that have a means of input will allow for a user generated passkey. (Except for the new MB S-class, surprisingly...) On the E60, any sequence of numbers (up to 16 digits long) can be used and there's no reason to make the number "secret" since it's only used for a few seconds to do the pairing. (In other words, you can use something like 1234 and not risk any hacking, etc. by others because you have to make up a new passkey each time you pair a new device.)

I'll try to go through the pairing process again later today to remind my self how it works but if you're following the steps outlined in the telephone manual I posted a link to and it's not working, as a long-shot you might want to try resetting the Treo as dlevi67 suggested. (There's a small reset hole inside the battery compartment, just next to the battery. Just use the stylus to reset it but remember to turn the phone's power back on once it reboots.)

The only other thing you might do is post a detailed listing of each and every step you're taking to attempt the pairing. Maybe there's still something that we're all missing?
Old 09-23-2006, 08:26 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='337736' date='Sep 23 2006, 07:04 AM
The dealer is incorrect -- as dlevi67 said above, most BT devices that have a means of input will allow for a user generated passkey. (Except for the new MB S-class, surprisingly...) On the E60, any sequence of numbers (up to 16 digits long) can be used and there's no reason to make the number "secret" since it's only used for a few seconds to do the pairing. (In other words, you can use something like 1234 and not risk any hacking, etc. by others because you have to make up a new passkey each time you pair a new device.)

I'll try to go through the pairing process again later today to remind my self how it works but if you're following the steps outlined in the telephone manual I posted a link to and it's not working, as a long-shot you might want to try resetting the Treo as dlevi67 suggested. (There's a small reset hole inside the battery compartment, just next to the battery. Just use the stylus to reset it but remember to turn the phone's power back on once it reboots.)

The only other thing you might do is post a detailed listing of each and every step you're taking to attempt the pairing. Maybe there's still something that we're all missing?
Thanks for the guidance oh wise one. I'll try again later and post result
Old 09-23-2006, 08:57 AM
Members

My Ride: Hamann roof/trunk spoiler Savini Forged 3-piece SV4 22' wheels M6 Sideskirts/Mirrors/Headlights 12000k Xenon

It sounds like you are missing one step, after you enter 0000, pull the idrive to the 6 oclock position and click down

Scott
Old 09-23-2006, 09:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 e60 Titanium grey Auburn premium Sport 6-speed Logic-7 folding rear seats with ski bag Bi-xenon Cold weather package

My Car came with a card in the owner's manual that has a sticker that says PK-xxxx. This is the number I use.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by VTbound' post='337808' date='Sep 23 2006, 01:45 PM
My Car came with a card in the owner's manual that has a sticker that says PK-xxxx. This is the number I use.
That number works because any number will work -- as long as you use the same number on the handset and the car...
Old 09-23-2006, 09:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 e60 Titanium grey Auburn premium Sport 6-speed Logic-7 folding rear seats with ski bag Bi-xenon Cold weather package

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='337811' date='Sep 23 2006, 01:52 PM
That number works because any number will work -- as long as you use the same number on the handset and the car...
Maybe next time I have to pair my phone I won't have to reach into the glove box while driving down the highway to do it!

Quick Reply: Default password, acceptance procedure