Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Curious about "firmer" steering

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004 | 01:37 PM
Contributors

Hello:
In pharding's very helpful thread he mentioned when his car came back with upgraded software "steering is firmer at low speed". My question is has anybody else experienced this steering change? Any insights as to the cause, is it the upgraded software or is this an adjustment to sensitivity that a dealer can make? Any help is greatly appreciated
Old 10-27-2004 | 02:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by juan2mini' date='Oct 27 2004, 02:37 PM
Hello:
In pharding's very helpful thread he mentioned when his car came back with upgraded software "steering is firmer at low speed". My question is has anybody else experienced this steering change? Any insights as to the cause, is it the upgraded software or is this an adjustment to sensitivity that a dealer can make? Any help is greatly appreciated
[snapback]50042[/snapback]
Yes. I drove on V11x of the software in Europe. Steering at low speeds was very light and I even nicked my wheel in Florence against a curb. I cannot remember for sure, when the change happened because I was reunited with my car in the US 6 weeks later with V12x (loaded at VPC). I only drove it a few days before taking it back to get Assist fixed which took me to V13.2. Yes steering at low speeds is tighter now. I think its just right. Monday Nov1st I am going in again to upgrade to V13.3 and get that fibre optic cable connected. Will keep you all posted.
Old 10-27-2004 | 02:53 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545iA Jet Black, Black, Sport, Prem Sound, PDC, Rear sunshades, integrated phone, Sirius, Huper Optik tint, Euro Reflectors

Originally Posted by juan2mini' date='Oct 27 2004, 02:37 PM
Hello:
Mine is also much tighter. This took effect after version 13.2 which I had done 10 days ago. I also had version 12 done last month, and it didn't effect AS at all. It is definitely a result of the most recent software upgrade.

I much prefer the tighter steering now. It was way too loose and unfeeling prior to the upgrade, IMHO. It feels much more like other BMW's that I have owned but with much better response....all the benefits of AS without the overboosted feel from before.
Old 10-27-2004 | 03:01 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jeffnin' date='Oct 27 2004, 03:53 PM
[quote name='juan2mini' date='Oct 27 2004, 02:37 PM']Hello:
Mine is also much tighter. This took effect after version 13.2 which I had done 10 days ago. I also had version 12 done last month, and it didn't effect AS at all. It is definitely a result of the most recent software upgrade.

I much prefer the tighter steering now. It was way too loose and unfeeling prior to the upgrade, IMHO. It feels much more like other BMW's that I have owned but with much better response....all the benefits of AS without the overboosted feel from before.
[snapback]50058[/snapback]
[/quote]

Jeffnin,

We have almost the same car except I don't have the shades (wish I did). I'm thinking about the Huper tint. How much is it and do you have a picture of it on your car? Which % do you have and are you happy with it?

Thanks,
GER_545SMG
Old 10-27-2004 | 04:37 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545iA Jet Black, Black, Sport, Prem Sound, PDC, Rear sunshades, integrated phone, Sirius, Huper Optik tint, Euro Reflectors

[/quote]
Jeffnin,

We have almost the same car except I don't have the shades (wish I did). I'm thinking about the Huper tint. How much is it and do you have a picture of it on your car? Which % do you have and are you happy with it?

Thanks,
GER_545SMG
[snapback]50061[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yes, I'm very happy with it. This is my 2nd 5 series with Huper Optik tint. My E39 had the older type which blocks about 60% of solar rays (heat). The newer type is more expensive, but blocks out 90% of heat. Here in AZ, that makes the car much cooler. I paid $645 for 35% which was $200 more than the older type Huper. The newer type has a slight metallic look to it, not mirror-like, but looks great with Jet Black, IMHO. PM me with your email and I'll send you some pics.
Old 10-27-2004 | 04:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

I like the new steering enhancement a lot. It just feels more appropriate and solid.