Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Changing first song from played iPod after redock?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 03:07 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty happy with my iPod adapter. It not perfect, but good enough.

One thing that I noticed is that after each docking of the iPod, all the songs are shown in alphabetic order, then the first song starts playing. This song continues to play until I go into the playlist menu.

Well, that very first song on my iPod is from an old Styx album called ?A.D. 1928" or something. It an OK album, but I really don?t want to hear the beginning of this song anymore than I have to.

I was thinking it would be cool to have something like Here Comes the Sun at the first spot. I made a copy of the song from my iTunes library, then renamed it ?AA- Here Comes the Sun?, and then added the copy to my library. Well, the silly iTunes didn?t put it at the top, and seemed to rename it as a second copy in the Abby road Album. OK, so I tried just calling it ?AA?. Same deal - it just knows it should be in Abby road.

Can anyone think of a way to trick it into putting this song first?
Old 12-17-2007, 02:33 PM
Members

Have no idea how to fix this issue, but I had to laugh because I have the same problem. Everytime I plug in the ipod, that Styx song begins to play. Probably no way to fix it unless you can change the default library that it selects for the playlist - or delete the song and hope that you like the next one that begins with A!
Old 12-17-2007, 04:28 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by srs7656' post='507869' date='Dec 17 2007, 06:33 PM
Have no idea how to fix this issue, but I had to laugh because I have the same problem. Everytime I plug in the ipod, that Styx song begins to play. Probably no way to fix it unless you can change the default library that it selects for the playlist - or delete the song and hope that you like the next one that begins with A!
It must be a common "problem". I like sorting by group as the default. I had a 38 Special song play first for a month and got tired of it. I deleted the song. The next song was from Abba. It DIDN'T help!
Old 12-18-2007, 07:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by Richard in NC' post='507924' date='Dec 17 2007, 07:28 PM
The next song was from Abba. It DIDN'T help!
Richard, it takes a big man to admit he has Abba on his iPod! Interesting contrast to the 38 Special...
Old 12-18-2007, 04:23 PM
Members

Originally Posted by srs7656' post='507869' date='Dec 17 2007, 06:33 PM
This whole internet thing is just crazy. I guess someone else in a BMW would have this same song start playing, but it still seems weird.

I hit this hard today because I really wanted to figure out something better. Its pretty easy, but here is the deal - I made a copy of the aac file from my itunes library. Then I downloaded some shareware called Tag&Rename. Its available on download.com. There is a 30 day trial. Tag&Rename lets you strip all of the song info from the music file. Then I added the modified file to iTunes and it just adds it to the library without renaming. I had to call the file "A.. Here Comes the Sun" since "AA" comes after "A." on the list. I found this last part out by trial and error when the Styx song was still at the top. Its like a weed that won't give up.

Now that I see what happened, I could have probably deleted the song/artist info right in iTunes, then made the copy, then replaced the original from a backup. Tricky though.

Also, during my search I found out some info on ripping in iTunes. The songs sound better if you select VBR, under preference, advanced, importing, custom. 128k with VBR is considered pretty darn good. Since I drive a BMW, I one upped it to 192k VBR. VBR is variable bit rate encoding. 192k VBR is a minimum of 192k, then even more if the song needs it. VBR only adds a little to the file size. Since I only have 20G of an 80G iPod filled, I plan to re-rip my favorite 25 or so CDs.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:11 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='508113' date='Dec 18 2007, 11:37 AM
Richard, it takes a big man to admit he has Abba on his iPod! Interesting contrast to the 38 Special...
Haha! I actually liked one of their songs but loaded several. It gives some balance to AC/DC & Led Zep.