Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Canadian 545i 2004 bluetooth?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009 | 07:47 AM
Members

Unhappy

Hello,

I recently bought a 545i 04 without NAV. It do not seem to have blutooth or any cell phone feature, it do have a Communication ''icon'' in the idrive, but when i click on it say ''please call BMW'', it also have a ''voice control'' button on the sterring...

Do its possible to have my cell phone work with this car? What part did i need?

My phone is a iphone, after many search on the forum i found that it can be possible to have a AUX IN plug installed, but do its possible to have a complete ipod retrofit for this car?

Do the Canadian and US E60 Idrive are the same? Its cheaper for me to get it installed in the US...

Sorry for my english, its not my first language.
Thanks,
Old 03-12-2009 | 05:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

The key to your question is the vehicle's build date. If it is March 04 production or later, you should be able to get BT activated. check the sticker on the driver's side door sill to confirm the production date.
Old 03-12-2009 | 05:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

The key to your question is the vehicle's build date. If it is March 04 production or later, you should be able to get BT activated. check the sticker on the driver's side door sill to confirm the production date.
Old 03-12-2009 | 07:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i | Titanium Silver | Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, Navigation packages | Style 124 staggered rims | iPod integration | Tinted windows

Originally Posted by MR.Slim' post='807266' date='Mar 4 2009, 12:47 PM
Hello,

I recently bought a 545i 04 without NAV. It do not seem to have blutooth or any cell phone feature, it do have a Communication ''icon'' in the idrive, but when i click on it say ''please call BMW'', it also have a ''voice control'' button on the sterring...

My phone is a iphone, after many search on the forum i found that it can be possible to have a AUX IN plug installed, but do its possible to have a complete ipod retrofit for this car?

Do the Canadian and US E60 Idrive are the same? Its cheaper for me to get it installed in the US...

Thanks,
Your English is fine... we've seen much worse on this site. And we've seen more than just bad English this morning - complements of Mr.UrbanTiger...

First, let me congratulate you on your new 545i. That's a great car! And to the forums.

I had to get a Bluetooth module retrofit and software update from the dealership for this to work. I did this at the time of purchase last year so they didn't charge me. I would call the dealership to see what they suggest. If you are interested in the iPod integration, BMW may charge you less for the bluetooth because the software update may be the same. But expect the iPod integration to run you approx $500 from BMW in Toronto.

There are many good DIY on this forum if you are interested.

By the way, where in Canada are you located? We are planning a spring get-together for GTA members in April.
Old 03-13-2009 | 09:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: AC Schnitzer Mystic Blue 545i, RDSport quad exhaust, H&R sway bars, 19in staggered Hartge Classic wheels w/ Toyo T1-R, RPI scoop. BMC filter

Originally Posted by MR.Slim' post='807266' date='Mar 4 2009, 12:47 PM
Hello,

Thanks,
I also have a 2004 545i and yes, your iphone will work.
First of all educate yourself with what needs to be done by visiting the following site:
http://www.bimmernav.com/store/catalog/bmw...s-item-102.html

There are basically 2 options:
1. Purchase the BTUM kit (Bluetooth module) from bimmernav and have this installed. With the BTUM, there should be no need for dealer programming but installation cost may be high.
2. Purchase the Bluetooth TCU (Telecommunications unit), replace the original TCU in the trunk and have the dealer perform the CIP programming to enable the Bluetooth feature.

Either option is expensive but I went with option 2 after purchasing the Bluetooth TCU separately from Bimmernav, installing it myself and having the dealer perform the programming. I believe this is the more reliable method and it is not necessary to remove the interior trim (with possible damage) as with the BTUM installation.

The AUX IN is not suitable for ipod integration. An ipod integration kit can be purchased from BMW or ebay and subsequently installed and programmed by the dealer. Again, this can be quite expensive. I received a quote of $840 from Budds BMW and decided to purchase the kit from ebay for $268USD and install this myself. Not sure what the programming will cost but it will probably be about $200.

The Canadian and US CIP programming is not always the same. I recommend you have a Canadian BMW dealer do the programming and if there are any problems, you will have some recourse.
Old 03-14-2009 | 10:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

If all this fails, save your money and try this:

Old 03-14-2009 | 10:21 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='816646' date='Mar 14 2009, 02:18 PM
If all this fails, save your money and try this:

Bwahaha! saw this before but it's still funny
Old 03-19-2009 | 02:02 PM
Members

My Ride: Bmw 530i

i hav an 05 530i, and you guys are saying this isn't free?...my buddy got it done for free somehow
Old 03-23-2009 | 06:55 AM
Contributors

Point 4 in SI B84 13 04, the major Service Bulletin dealing with BT in 04 and 05 MY cars states :

4. For E60/63/64 vehicles produced from 3/04 to 8/04, Bluetooth? functionality can be added to most
of these vehicles by updating the vehicle software using CIP 13.2 or higher. After this is performed
"Retrofit" of "Tel Bluetooth" needs to be performed. Follow the procedure as described in this Service
Information for "Activating Bluetooth" and "Pairing the Handset". Vehicles prior to 3/04 would need to
have the TCU replaced with the 2005 MY TCU at the customer's expense and the vehicle updated to CIP
13.2 or higher. Phone docking cradles may not be added to these vehicles because of wiring
incompatibility. Note: This software update and retrofit is not covered under warranty and is at
the customer's expense.