Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

"Can ya hear me now?"

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 04:32 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Hi All,
I am debating "upgrading" to a BMW Motorola CPT9000 system, for my new 545 i. The phone would be new, but discontinued by BMW. My question is a basic: Is it worth the $900+ for such a dated phone? (No Bluetooth, etc)?

I have personal Verizon serivce now, but don't know if the BMW install becomes BMW/Verizon or if I get to keep my own account?

Is it worth it? I am running an ancient Motorola analog phone phone that just lives in the door bin; I'm NOT a power user by any stretch of the imagination, so maybe, this incremental step is appropriate....

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers,
Ray Hull
Old 11-11-2005, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

It's probably not worth it since you can get a BT phone pretty cheap and the car is BT ready.

The key is how (and if) you want to interface with the antenna and power. BMW seems to always be behind with cradles or eject boxes so if you want the phone to dock in the car (like the CPT9000), you'll have to choose carefully...
Old 11-11-2005, 07:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='196946' date='Nov 11 2005, 08:32 PM
Hi All,
I am debating "upgrading" to a BMW Motorola CPT9000 system, for my new 545 i. The phone would be new, but discontinued by BMW. My question is a basic: Is it worth the $900+ for such a dated phone? (No Bluetooth, etc)?

I have personal Verizon serivce now, but don't know if the BMW install becomes BMW/Verizon or if I get to keep my own account?

Is it worth it? I am running an ancient Motorola analog phone phone that just lives in the door bin; I'm NOT a power user by any stretch of the imagination, so maybe, this incremental step is appropriate....

Cheers,
Ray Hull
Hi Ray,

IMO I do not see any benifit in spending over $1,000.00 to go the CPT 9000 route. You can pick up a Bluetooth phone from verizon for under $ 100.00 and achieve better results. I recently got the Motorola E815. The phone integrates perfectly with your 545. You will be able to see all the contacts that you program into your cell phone in your BMW I-drive, you can dial numbers from I-Drive, talk hands free on the BMW hands free that is already in your car. You will be able to use the voice recongnition buttons that are on your steering wheel and much more. The 815 has excellent reception on it's own and an excellent battery which lasts for days even with moderate use in the car using bluetooth. You do not even have to touch your cell phone when you get into the car. You can keep it in the glove box if you wish. If you need to charge the phone while in the car you can get a $ 20.00 charger that works off the many plugs in your car.

If you would prefer, you can spend a couple of hundred dollars extra and have a cradle installed that will charge the phone while in the car and also hook up to the shark fin antenna, if you find that you do not have good reception where you are.

I think that you can also get a 15 day trial period with verizon and if you do not like the phone you can return it.

The 815 is also a digital camera, video camera and an MP3 player and is pretty easy to use. Verizon also has other bluetooth phones that will work with your 545. CPT 9000 was great b4 bluetooth, but I think
BT is the way to go now, good luck with your decision
Old 11-11-2005, 07:05 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i Silver Gray/Black, Sport, Prem., Logic 7, Cold Weather, Auto, M Aero package, Nav, Comfort Seats, IPod aux

Go Bluetooth and keep with the new technology----it's a ton easier. Once you try it, you'll love it.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:41 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Black Sapphire, BLK Anthracite. STEPTRONIC, NAV, Cold wthr Pack., Logic 7, Style 116, Bluetooth, Moto v710, CIP 18.x

An integrated phone is great. I had 3 CPT's in previous BMW's. But that's old tech now.
Forget the 9000. I have Motorola v710 Verizon phone that does everything.
Interfaces via Bluetooth with car speakers and phonebook show in the middlescreen.
I can also use it as a modem with my laptop.
Great sound quality. No dropped calls. Keep the phone in your pocket.
Go Moto. Most other Bluetooth phones have issues with this car.
Old 11-12-2005, 10:19 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Originally Posted by gabman' post='197034
Hi All,

Cheers,
Ray Hull
Hi Ray,

IMO I do not see any benifit in spending over $1,000.00 to go the CPT 9000 route. You can pick up a Bluetooth phone from verizon for under $ 100.00 and achieve better results. I recently got the Motorola E815. The phone integrates perfectly with your 545. You will be able to see all the contacts that you program into your cell phone in your BMW I-drive, you can dial numbers from I-Drive, talk hands free on the BMW hands free that is already in your car. You will be able to use the voice recongnition buttons that are on your steering wheel and much more. The 815 has excellent reception on it's own and an excellent battery which lasts for days even with moderate use in the car using bluetooth. You do not even have to touch your cell phone when you get into the car. You can keep it in the glove box if you wish. If you need to charge the phone while in the car you can get a $ 20.00 charger that works off the many plugs in your car.

If you would prefer, you can spend a couple of hundred dollars extra and have a cradle installed that will charge the phone while in the car and also hook up to the shark fin antenna, if you find that you do not have good reception where you are.

I think that you can also get a 15 day trial period with verizon and if you do not like the phone you can return it.

The 815 is also a digital camera, video camera and an MP3 player and is pretty easy to use. Verizon also has other bluetooth phones that will work with your 545. CPT 9000 was great b4 bluetooth, but I think
BT is the way to go now, good luck with your decision
[/quote]

Wow, that sounds impressive, BUT, I am told my early model is NOT BT ready ($2000 upgrade for BT) and who knows about the speech recognition, but the DVD with the car said it wasn't available until March 04; mine was built 10/03).

But it sounds as though I should talk to someone at Verizon who is knowledgeable and let them see what, if any response, my car gives to BT.

BTW, I know nothing about BT other than it's basic transmission capability. I had no idea that it could broadcst data (contacts etc.) Sounds very cool, IF it will work.

Thanks for making me 200% smarter. Still some ways to go though....

Ray Hull
Old 11-13-2005, 08:33 AM
Members

My Problems exactly.....how do you find your date of production? I bought mine used with 6,000 miles last week (mint condition). The owners club card says Date of Purchase 2/29/2004 so I asume it was built late 2003 - early 2004.

I am a power cell user and really need some sortof integration of eiher bluetooth or the V60 (which I have a non BMW one already). My blackberry is not bluetooth but I will buy a new one if the bluetooth works on my car.

I have read numerous posts concerning the software update to (service bullein, etc) but all seem to relate to the infamous "post" March 2004 production dates......what about those of us "pre" March 2004?

Any chance for an inexpensive bluetooth install? (It is NOT listed on the communications menu but the phone option is there and says contact BMW)

Please help - very very happy new E60 owner....cannot begin to describe the difference coming from the G35 6M Coupe.. ...Regards,

nate
Old 11-13-2005, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

If you call BMWNA (I assume you're in the US) you can give them your VIN number and they'll tell you the exact production date. From there, they'll be able to tell you if your TCU supports bluetooth. If it does, you only need to do a software update (or have it activated, depending on what software version you currently have).

If the TCU does not support BT, then to get BT you'll either have to find a way to get the TCU replaced due to a defect (hard to do) or you'll have to buy a new one ($2000+).

In that latter case, I'd just go for the cradle that supports the V60 and try your current phone. If it doesn't work, you could probably find someone unloading a CPT9000 on eBay or on this board...
Old 11-13-2005, 03:15 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by hoopsrob' post='197039' date='Nov 11 2005, 11:05 PM
Go Bluetooth and keep with the new technology----it's a ton easier. Once you try it, you'll love it.
One big difference in the Bluetooth functionality is that you can continue a conversation on the phone after you leave the car without disconnecting the call.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:48 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Black Sapphire, BLK Anthracite. STEPTRONIC, NAV, Cold wthr Pack., Logic 7, Style 116, Bluetooth, Moto v710, CIP 18.x

Originally Posted by wnrussell' post='197842
One big difference in the Bluetooth functionality is that you can continue a conversation on the phone after you leave the car without disconnecting the call.
[/quote]
Nah, My CPT8000 that was a Motorola Timeport installed in my 2002 540iA could be unplugged during call and leave the car still carrying on conversation.

Quick Reply: "Can ya hear me now?"