Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Bluetooth Update of Stored Phone Numbers

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 10:28 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Grey Metallic SMG, Black Nasca Leather, Sport Package, Logic7, Comfort Ventilated Seats, Sat Radio, Split Folding Rear Seats

I have searched on the board and read through the owner's manual, maybe I'm missing something, but I have not been able to figure out how to sync the phone book from my phone with the phone list stored in iDrive. Do I have to pair the phone again to get the phone book that is current on my cell? Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530e G30
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by purth01' date='Mar 4 2005, 01:28 PM
I have searched on the board and read through the owner's manual, maybe I'm missing something, but I have not been able to figure out how to sync the phone book from my phone with the phone list stored in iDrive.? Do I have to pair the phone again to get the phone book that is current on my cell?? Any ideas would be appreciated.
[snapback]97239[/snapback]
Nothing special to do.
After few minutes (max 4-6 with phone on and car power on ) you will find stored list on iDrive automatically updated.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

Originally Posted by ricky' date='Mar 4 2005, 02:23 PM
[quote name='purth01' date='Mar 4 2005, 01:28 PM']I have searched on the board and read through the owner's manual, maybe I'm missing something, but I have not been able to figure out how to sync the phone book from my phone with the phone list stored in iDrive.? Do I have to pair the phone again to get the phone book that is current on my cell?? Any ideas would be appreciated.
[snapback]97239[/snapback]
Nothing special to do.
After few minutes (max 4-6 with phone on and car power on ) you will find stored list on iDrive automatically updated.

[snapback]97259[/snapback]
[/quote]

Depending on your phone and the size of your phone book, it may take a little longer. Mine took a couple of hours of driving (I had over 150 phone numbers). Your phone book will only be available after you start your car again after the upload is complete.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with Sport Pkg, Nav, HUD, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Shades

Hmmmm.

Are you implying that the Phone book is stored in IDrive separate from the phone?? Because I don't think that is the case.

I think the phone directory is only available in IDrive if you have the connected through Bluetooth. If you don't have the phone (or if it is shut off) you won't have access to the BT Device (ie your phone and the directory).

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

'05 545i (US) Sport, Nav, HUD, CWP, Rear Shades
Old 03-04-2005, 11:50 AM
Senior Members

Some phones support BT with the transfer of phone directory and some do not. It depends on how fully the phone follows BT protocol (many motorola phones do this well). Some minimally compatible phones will only allow voice interface with the car and no directory usage. (as a BT headset uses only audio)

Once the phone is 'connected' to the car via BT, the list automatically updates, as it does on my Motorola V3 Razr.

My V3 even transfers the directory from both the SIM card memory and the phone's own memory with no intervention.

JStraw, it does seem that the phone book directory is only accessible once the BT link is active, but that it does not 'transfer' all the names each time, but allows them to be visible only when a phone is connected and live. Then any new additions to the directory are updated.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:57 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Grey Metallic SMG, Black Nasca Leather, Sport Package, Logic7, Comfort Ventilated Seats, Sat Radio, Split Folding Rear Seats

I had no problem with the initial sync of the phone book to iDrive, it took about 30 minutes to download 200 numbers, but I have added numbers and deleted numbers from my cell and the new numbers still do not appear on iDrive. Maybe it's the phone, a Sony Erriccson T616.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by purth01' date='Mar 7 2005, 02:57 PM
I had no problem with the initial sync of the phone book to iDrive, it took about 30 minutes to download 200 numbers, but I have added numbers and deleted numbers from my cell and the new numbers still do not appear on iDrive.? Maybe it's the phone, a Sony Erriccson T616.
[snapback]98351[/snapback]
With a phone book of that size, I would just be patient. The changes to take after a while and obviously the larger the book the longer it takes. Maybe during the next hour long drive without interupptions they will show up.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:48 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Mar 7 2005, 06:03 PM
[quote name='purth01' date='Mar 7 2005, 02:57 PM']I had no problem with the initial sync of the phone book to iDrive, it took about 30 minutes to download 200 numbers, but I have added numbers and deleted numbers from my cell and the new numbers still do not appear on iDrive.? Maybe it's the phone, a Sony Erriccson T616.
[snapback]98351[/snapback]
With a phone book of that size, I would just be patient. The changes to take after a while and obviously the larger the book the longer it takes. Maybe during the next hour long drive without interupptions they will show up.
[snapback]98353[/snapback]
[/quote]
Some phones have different Bluetooth profiles. The Motorola RAZR V3 takes a few minutes, while the V710 can take hours to see the change on the I-Drive.

One phone has Object Exchange and the other only has Object Push.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:09 PM
Senior Members

I have a siemems S65 and my phone book still hasn't uploaded, though I haven't had a long drive since the bluetooth retro fit.

Any one knows if the S65 has object push or exchange or does one have to do anything special to get the phonebook uploaded?

thanks!
Old 03-08-2005, 02:37 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by eggz' date='Mar 8 2005, 01:09 AM
I have a siemems S65 and my phone book still hasn't uploaded, though I haven't had a long drive since the bluetooth retro fit.

Any one knows if the S65 has object push or exchange or does one have to do anything special to get the phonebook uploaded?

thanks!
[snapback]98477[/snapback]
The profiles can be seen here: http://qualweb.bluetooth.org/Template2.cfm...t=QualifiedDate

OPP is Object Push, Generic Object Exchange includes OBEX.

The S65 appears to not have Object Exchange.

Quick Reply: Bluetooth Update of Stored Phone Numbers