Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Bluetooth phone without NAV

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 08:13 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545 steptronic, silver gray, black, logic-7,PDC, folding rear seats, power rear shade, cold pack, 50% huper optic, comfort seats, sirius radio.

I was planning on having a bluetooth install next week (2004 545 production date 07/04), and I don't have NAV. Will I be able to get all avaible features (voice command, download phone book from phone, etc.) without NAV? What are the drawabacks with bluetooth without NAV? I probably need to reconsider if there are differences.
Old 12-17-2004, 08:22 PM
Senior Members

I assume that voice controls might be the only thing you'd miss out on if you don't have NAV. But maybe if you have the voice button either on the steering wheel or on the console, it would be available.

It is hard to know if you'd miss the phone book download, but it seems that NAV ought not to affect that aspect. It's just a list of names and shows their numbers. But maybe BMWNA could answer it (HA!?)

Anyone else know about these issues?
Old 12-18-2004, 02:38 AM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d Imperialblue - HK Sound - Panorama Roof - High Executive

Originally Posted by mhgoforit' date='Dec 17 2004, 11:13 PM
I was planning on having a bluetooth install next week (2004 545 production date 07/04), and I don't have NAV. Will I be able to get all avaible features (voice command, download phone book from phone, etc.) without NAV? What are the drawabacks with bluetooth without NAV?? I probably need to reconsider if there are differences.
[snapback]70170[/snapback]
I have a Dutch 5 without NAV with the Bluetooth Option. Phonebook download works perfectly, pairing goes well. In contrary to other Dutch 5ers I have voice control for my phone.

Unpleasantly with German commands, but simple commands (for you translated into English) like dial name, read phonebook, save name etc. works fine.

Dealer said they are working on the ability to change the language, not possible for now.
Old 12-18-2004, 05:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i - Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Premium Sound, Steptronic, Comfort Seats, PDC, Xenon, Electric Sunshade

Some of the voice commands will work like Eric mentioned. In regards to the phonebook, whatever names and numbers that you have on the phone will transfer to the iDrive, but you will not be able to use voice commands to dial those entries. You will only be able to dial them using the iDrive controller, select the entry then select dial. In essence you create another phonebook for the car that the voice commands use. You will need to do save name (and number) for anyone that you want to dial in this manner.
Old 12-18-2004, 06:06 AM
Rod

I am new to the forum so please forgive my ignorance. The dealership I go to told me Bluetooth was not available yet. Someone please enlighten me. Oh, by the way I do have the nav system.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i - Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Premium Sound, Steptronic, Comfort Seats, PDC, Xenon, Electric Sunshade

Hi Rod, depending on the production date of your car will indicate if you can do it. For the most part, it is just a software upgrade.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:28 AM
Members

My Ride: 545 steptronic, silver gray, black, logic-7,PDC, folding rear seats, power rear shade, cold pack, 50% huper optic, comfort seats, sirius radio.

Originally Posted by Arno' date='Dec 18 2004, 09:44 AM
Some of the voice commands will work like Eric mentioned. In regards to the phonebook, whatever names and numbers that you have on the phone will transfer to the iDrive, but you will not be able to use voice commands to dial those entries. You will only be able to dial them using the iDrive controller, select the entry then select dial. In essence you create another phonebook for the car that the voice commands use. You will need to do save name (and number) for anyone that you want to dial in this manner.
[snapback]70223[/snapback]

If I understand you correctly, I may do better not installing blue tooth retro, beacause I would be back to square one fumbling around with the I drive to fine phone numbers (same as finding a name in the cell phone directory).
Also, if there is still a problem with the quality of voice reception (sounds like a speaker phone and/or under water), what would be the real advantage? Seems like a simple headset may be a more effective way.

Any thoughts?
Old 12-18-2004, 08:09 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Arno' date='Dec 18 2004, 09:44 AM
[snapback]70223[/snapback]
Arno,

I think I orriginally may have misunderstood your reply. Once the phone numbers are transferred to the iDrive, I understand that I will be able to use the iDrive and select the entry and select dial. But, are you also saying that I can save this name and number, (creating another phone book), and then I will be able to use the voice command with this saved Number ?
Old 12-22-2004, 04:20 AM
Rod

Originally Posted by Arno' date='Dec 18 2004, 11:05 AM
Hi Rod, depending on the production date of your car will indicate if you can do it. For the most part, it is just a software upgrade.
[snapback]70229[/snapback]
Thanks Arno
Old 12-22-2004, 11:39 AM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d Imperialblue - HK Sound - Panorama Roof - High Executive

No, on the question about transferring names to iDrive and then being able of voice dialling them.

It's true that the car has actually several phonebooks. One for each pairable phone (max. 3) and one for voice dialling. There is no possibility of exchanging names through bluetooth from the phone to the voice dialling phonebook of the car. You have to fill this phonebook by speaking the names and numbers into the car.

I read about people being able of voice dialling names from the phone with the Motorola RAZR tru the iDrive (?). I bought that phone and I didnot yet found out how that works......

If you have problems with the under-water sound in the car, go to your dealer and have them replace the (I think) TCU. I also had big problems with this, tried several phones, had a change to the mic. All minor improvements.

I demanded new components and that solved the issue perfectly. Now very very happy with this BT option

Bye

Quick Reply: Bluetooth phone without NAV