Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Bluetooth Phone Digits

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 03:53 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

When I try to program the 4 Digit, EXT, # after the phone # the operator comes on and tells me there is no such # to try again. I'm following the instructions in the manual to the letter on page 155, "Adding Digits to Phone Number". What can I be doing wrong? Right now to get thru to the # I want I go thru the bluetooth and manualy put in the EXT on the phone to make it work.TIA
cheers
vern
Old 05-23-2007, 04:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

Originally Posted by vern' post='427484' date='May 23 2007, 07:53 AM
When I try to program the 4 Digit, EXT, # after the phone # the operator comes on and tells me there is no such # to try again. I'm following the instructions in the manual to the letter on page 155, "Adding Digits to Phone Number". What can I be doing wrong? Right now to get thru to the # I want I go thru the bluetooth and manualy put in the EXT on the phone to make it work.TIA
cheers
vern
Before you program the extension number, I suggest that you enter at least 3 or 4 pauses into your cell phone. Your Cell phone should be equipped with a button to add pauses, check your Cell phone manual under speed dial programming.

I suggest that you do this with one number and then check if call can be completed, you may have to enter a few more pauses, it is a question of trial and error. Once you get the right amount of pauses and it works then program balance of numbers using same amount of pauses as test number.

You have to keep in mind that with most companies voice mail systems, you have to wait until the voice mail picks up before you enter the extension number, if you did not program any pauses then your cell phone thinks that you are dialing a number with 14 digits, 3 for area code , 7 for number and then 4 for extension number, that is why you are getting the operator.

So sequence should be 123 (area code) 456-7890 (tel number) Pause, Pause , Pause Pause, 2212 (ext number)
Old 05-23-2007, 05:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

As gabman points out, you'll need to program the dialing string into the phone if you want to make the change permanent.

Keep in mind that there was a "pause bug" in earlier versions of the car's software. For example, on some phones, the pause is represented by a letter 'p' when programmed into a phone book entry. The bug in the software interpreted the 'p' as the digit '7' since alphabetically, the letter P is tied to the 7 key.

This was fixed about a year ago, I think so it's either going to work or it's not depending on the version...
Old 05-23-2007, 07:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='427509' date='May 23 2007, 09:08 AM
As gabman points out, you'll need to program the dialing string into the phone if you want to make the change permanent.

Keep in mind that there was a "pause bug" in earlier versions of the car's software. For example, on some phones, the pause is represented by a letter 'p' when programmed into a phone book entry. The bug in the software interpreted the 'p' as the digit '7' since alphabetically, the letter P is tied to the 7 key.

This was fixed about a year ago, I think so it's either going to work or it's not depending on the version...
Thanks I'll give it a try.
cheers
vern
Old 05-23-2007, 12:05 PM
Senior Members

Sorry guys I tried your suggestions and nothing seemed to work. I tried 1 thru 8 Hard Pause and 1 thru 8 2 Second Pause. Any pause symbols you add after the 14 digit phone# takes away the phone #'s in the beginning like the 1 and the area code etc. so then you don't have enough phone #'s because your replacing them with Pause symboles. Anything else you think I could try?
cheers
vern
Old 05-23-2007, 12:45 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Also on some phones the iDrive address book chooses to ignore numbers after the p. It happens on my WM5 handset but on my wife's SE its fine.