Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Bluetooth and K700i

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 01:56 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought I might share this....

I have an Egyptian assembled E60 520i. As part of the package a retrofit for bluetooth was installed by the dealer. The phone provided was a Nokia 6310i. That worked well but is not the best phone on the market.

I tried a Sony Ericsson T610 and that worked like a charm. Pairing was successful. The only thing to note is that a full address book takes quite some time sync.

Based on that success I went out and bought the latest phone built on the same platform the K700i.

Initially that worked very well. Identical to the T610i. A few days ago it started acting up. It would disconnect and reconnect over and over every few seconds. I went back to the T610 and that went well for a couple of days then same story.

I believe I have now tracked this down to the SMS buffer in the bluetooth module. Even though, it is still not supported in the idrive software, the bluetooth module polls the phone and tries to pull all the SMS's from the phone upon connection. This is where the problem starts. When the phone has many messages in the INBOX this problem occurs. I have sorted it out on both the T610 and K700i by cleaning up the INBOX for the SMS. I have reproduced this behaviour several times and can now confirm that this also happens with the Nokia 6310i if your SIM can handle a large number of SMS.

The K700i is as compatible as any other phone with the BMW bluetooth kit. You just need to clean up your SMS INBOX regularly. Save important messages to SAVED ITEMS. These do not get synchronized.

Hope this helps..

My next test will be with a Nokia 9500 communicator once I can get my hands on it.. Will update this post once I do this.
Old 11-17-2004, 02:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: -SOLD- 530i Alpine White. Sport package, comfort seat package, premium sound package, power rear shade, premium package, rear red reflectors, and adaptive headlights with xenon’s

Sherif,

Welcome to the forum!

Central Cali
Old 11-17-2004, 02:07 PM
Members

Originally Posted by CENTRAL CALI' date='Nov 18 2004, 01:02 AM
Sherif,

Welcome to the forum!

Central Cali?
[snapback]57393[/snapback]
Thanks. I've been lurking around a while and finally decided to take the plunge and become an active participant
Old 11-17-2004, 02:10 PM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport Carbon Black/Black Leather Media Pack,Visibility Pack,Through Load,Logic 7,Electric Seats,Sun Protection Glass,Maple Wood,Lumbar Adj,Heated Seats,Folding Mirrors

Originally Posted by Sherif' date='Nov 17 2004, 11:07 PM
[quote name='CENTRAL CALI' date='Nov 18 2004, 01:02 AM']Sherif,

Welcome to the forum!

Central Cali?
[snapback]57393[/snapback]
Thanks. I've been lurking around a while and finally decided to take the plunge and become an active participant
[snapback]57400[/snapback]
[/quote]

Now that is very interesting....thanks very much!
Old 11-17-2004, 02:50 PM
Contributors

Well done!
Old 11-17-2004, 02:54 PM
Senior Members

Sherif, this is a great find. I think a lot members will find this information very useful.

Welcome to the forums.

You seem pretty knowledgable on SIM/phone modes of operation.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:19 PM
Senior Members

welcome aboard, sherif !
Old 11-17-2004, 03:31 PM
Members

My Ride: Oxford Green E60 530D with tuning box and all the toys!

Thanks for that, but my K700i will not connect for more than a few secs no matter what state my SMS box is in! My Nokia 6310i NEVER has any problems even when the message box is overflowing. So there are more variables to consider, it would seem. If this fix works for some, that is fantastic - I guess I'm gonna have to rely on a software update in the car.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:27 PM
Members

Originally Posted by golfnut' date='Nov 18 2004, 02:31 AM
Thanks for that, but my K700i will not connect for more than a few secs no matter what state my SMS box is in! My Nokia 6310i NEVER has any problems even when the message box is overflowing. So there are more variables to consider, it would seem. If this fix works for some, that is fantastic - I guess I'm gonna have to rely on a software update in the car.
[snapback]57472[/snapback]
Golfnut,

Let's see if we can trace this through.

1. What version of phone firmware are you on? I am on R2AA.
2. If you can spare the time try a mster reset on the phone after backing it up.
3. Do you know what version of software is on your car? Mine was recoded along with the phone install.
4. Are you using your phone with a PC to send SMS's?

Sherif
Old 11-17-2004, 09:41 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Sherif' date='Nov 18 2004, 07:27 AM
[quote name='golfnut' date='Nov 18 2004, 02:31 AM']Thanks for that, but my K700i will not connect for more than a few secs no matter what state my SMS box is in! My Nokia 6310i NEVER has any problems even when the message box is overflowing. So there are more variables to consider, it would seem. If this fix works for some, that is fantastic - I guess I'm gonna have to rely on a software update in the car.
[snapback]57472[/snapback]
Golfnut,

Let's see if we can trace this through.

1. What version of phone firmware are you on? I am on R2AA.
2. If you can spare the time try a mster reset on the phone after backing it up.
3. Do you know what version of software is on your car? Mine was recoded along with the phone install.
4. Are you using your phone with a PC to send SMS's?

Sherif
[snapback]57564[/snapback]
[/quote]

Welcome Sherif! It is about time we have a Sherif around here! Thanks for this information. I know it is going to help a lot of individuals. By the way wha country are you living in?

Quick Reply: Bluetooth and K700i