Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Bluetooth Handsfree Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 02:46 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand how to adjust the volume of what I hear when I am making a handsfree call via bluetooth.

When I am speaking, however, I'm told that I sound far away. I would like to adjust the volume of what the person I am conversing with hears. Is this possible in the e60?

Incidentally, I have looked at the owners' manual, and am still unsure of the proper method, or if one exists at all.

I would appreciate some guidance.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

I dont think we can ourselves... might have to be a dealer setting or unless someone knows some hidden menus... I dont remember one for the E60.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:40 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='438465' date='Jun 22 2007, 05:02 AM
I dont think we can ourselves... might have to be a dealer setting or unless someone knows some hidden menus... I dont remember one for the E60.
Not satisfactory but just be aware of the location of the mic.

ABC
Old 06-22-2007, 01:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

The volume control controls both the speakers and the microphone. It works best to turn the volume down in general. If the volume is set low for the car driver, it will sound fine for the person at the end of the call. The hollow sound comes from the poor acoustic environment in the car. Set the volume as low as you tolerate. It also helps to speak toward the microphone. Phone reception itself can be improved by using a cradle and connecting the cell phone to the car which will the use the shark fin antenna. Also Verizon works better Cingular in most places.

Cell phone reception in general works much better in Europe so moving to Europe might be another option for some for better cell phone audio quality.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:43 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pharding' post='438533' date='Jun 22 2007, 10:39 AM
The volume control controls both the speakers and microphone.
If that were the case why have an adjustment at all? That would be CRAZY design since you can't provide an input/output "sweet spot" for each individual.

ABC
Old 06-22-2007, 06:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

The microphone and software have been updated since the first version. My 545i and Phardings were one of the first BT implementations on an E60 3 years ago. Since then several SW updates and hardware changes to auto adjusting (gain) mics made the implementation better. I'm am sure it's as good as it gets now. Which would the the same quality you get with noise at 75 mph and holding the cell phone 18 inches from your mouth.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:29 AM
Members

Are you all having the same issue I am?
Old 06-22-2007, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I'm not convinced that the volume control does anything to the microphone gain. It's clear that improvements were made through the years either via software and/or via hardware (I remember hearing something about an updated microphone...)

Speaking clearly and towards the microphone will always help (as well as keeping the ambient noise down by keeping the windows closed, etc.) but one thing I've noticed is that some BT phones simply work better than others given the same E60 configuration. Without making any changes to the car, my Nokia 6230 had decent sound quality, my Treo 650 had horrible sound quality, and my current BlackBerry 8700c has great sound quality so finding the "sweet spot" is pretty tricky.

I'd complain to the dealer about the issue so that they will attempt to update the car with as much of the new stuff as possible. After that, you might try playing with different phones (if possible) to see if you find that sweet spot...
Old 06-22-2007, 08:08 AM
Senior Members

I wonder if using a phone cradle with direct plumbing to the sharkfin may help.

ABC
Old 06-22-2007, 08:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='438621' date='Jun 22 2007, 09:08 AM
I wonder if using a phone cradle with direct plumbing to the sharkfin may help.

ABC
I see many posts about cradles improving sound quaity, but this is not logical to me. The reception of a digital phone, a bar here and there does not improve the sound quality of the handset. Since the cradle only improves reception, how and why would it improve the sound quality. My phone (an old CDMA RAZR) stays in my pocket all the time. If the battery is running low I just plug it into a a phone charger in the glove box. IMHO a cradle defeats the purpose and functionality of BT.

Per my previous post, A newer (gain) microphone and the latest Progman will solve the problems of echo, and hollow sound.

Quick Reply: Bluetooth Handsfree Question