Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Blue Tooth enabled TCU possible on 2004 545i?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 01:57 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i

I have a 2004 BMW 545i built in 2003. Will a BT capable TCU work? I really need BT in my car, the laws in Canada requires us to drive with a hands free system and I am tired of Blue Tooth hands free devices such as Blue Ant.

So here are some questions...

1-So I buy a TCU (hopefully someone here is selling one) I install it, code it etc. will all the contact information appear on iDrive?

2-What about the microphone? My car has a built in mp in the top center area where the sun roof button is (it's prewired for phone apparently), will that work?
Once the phone is connected to BT, how is voice communication established?

3-Currently I have the iPhone 3Gs connected to the iPod adapter that replaces the CD Changer, I assume I can keep it there and use Blue Tooth for phone calls, and the adapter for music playback.

I really appreciate the help here, there is nothing like having the call come in on all speakers vs. just the tiny speaker on the Blue Ant or a BT headset.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:01 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Shlooky
I have a 2004 BMW 545i built in 2003. Will a BT capable TCU work? I really need BT in my car, the laws in Canada requires us to drive with a hands free system and I am tired of Blue Tooth hands free devices such as Blue Ant.

So here are some questions...

1-So I buy a TCU (hopefully someone here is selling one) I install it, code it etc. will all the contact information appear on iDrive?
I have an 03 build e60 in my case buying the bt tcu did enable me to have bt unfortunately my contacts didn't show could be because i have android or because my car may need to be updated its one of those things you just have to see and try once you get and install it. Here is someone who was selling one i don't know if he still is. https://5series.net/forums/topic/123...bluetooth-tcu/

2-What about the microphone? My car has a built in mp in the top center area where the sun roof button is (it's prewired for phone apparently), will that work?
Once the phone is connected to BT, how is voice communication established?
If you already have the mic once the car is coded it will work, voice communication? if you mean making and receiving calls, then calls pop up on your idrive screen when you receive them you can decline the call or accept it by pressing the phone button on your steering wheel if you get the contacts to sync then you just go into your address book click on the name you want to dial and go, you can also use voice commands to dial names and numbers

3-Currently I have the iPhone 3Gs connected to the iPod adapter that replaces the CD Changer, I assume I can keep it there and use Blue Tooth for phone calls, and the adapter for music playback.

YUP

I really appreciate the help here, there is nothing like having the call come in on all speakers vs. just the tiny speaker on the Blue Ant or a BT headset.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:26 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i Silver Gray/ Gray Leather. SP,PP

Im selling one https://5series.net/forums/topic/123...bluetooth-tcu/
Old 07-09-2012, 09:10 PM
Senior Members

Thanks guys, so the built in microphone should work. Nelson, I will buy this from you, let me check with the dealer to see if in fact my car is prewired with mics and everything and I will buy it from you.
I live in Canada, will you ship to Toronto?

Thanks!
Old 07-10-2012, 06:13 AM
Contributors

Thanks guys, so the built in microphone should work. Nelson, I will buy this from you, let me check with the dealer to see if in fact my car is prewired with mics and everything and I will buy it from you.
I live in Canada, will you ship to Toronto?

Thanks!
No problem, i can ship to Canada but shipping will be a little extra.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:37 AM
Senior Members

Great thank you. Anyone have a DIY link to install the TCU? Do I use the existing brackets/cables?

Nelson how do I contact you to purchase it?

Thanks again
Old 07-10-2012, 08:09 AM
Contributors

Great thank you. Anyone have a DIY link to install the TCU? Do I use the existing brackets/cables?

Nelson how do I contact you to purchase it?

Thanks again
My email is nepl29@gmail.com install is pretty straight forward. Check the DIY section or even this section for install instruction.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:04 PM
Senior Members

Hi Nelson, I will buy you TCU. Sent you an e-mail

thanks!
Old 07-10-2012, 03:35 PM
Senior Members

its unplug old tcu and plug in new tcu that simple
Old 07-10-2012, 05:17 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04 530i 06 ///M5

how do you program the bluetooth to active?

Quick Reply: Blue Tooth enabled TCU possible on 2004 545i?