Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

BlackBerry Torch 9800

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 01:58 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Moopai
Rudy,

I have categories configured because you are right the Bold and previously the Curve had an issue or even the car is only limited to 400 to 500 contacts max and my address book has over 1100 contacts. The categories that I have configured does not download to the car more 60 -70 contacts at max. What's annoying is the voice recognition is not recognizing ANY names at all! If it was sometimes working and other times it not I would live with it but it's not working at all with the Torch. The minute I sync back the Bold or the Curve it works like a charm. Today I thought about replacing the device since it is within 30 days and get a new Torch, maybe it's a faulty device!!!!
Moopai...
Do you mean "Groups" when you say "I have categories configured"...
Thx..

H.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:13 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy
My solution was to configure the Bold to only upload specific categories to the car. This way, I was only uploading a subset of the data and I was able to get things to work better.

Now, with the Torch, I think all my entires are, in fact, uploading (with no category exclusions) so maybe the car has more memory that I thought and that the Bold was somehow aborting the transfer? (It could've been something relating to the "contact group" glitch, I suppose...)
Rudy...
I already asked Moopi this question however I am trying to understand everyone's statement about catagories?
Is this the same as setting up Groups inside the BB address book? I have BB user we moved from the 9700 to the 9800 Torch and it only sync's part of the address book on his new Series5. The 9700 Bold was seamless and uploaded all 400+ contacts without issue. The Torch will only sync a partial address book and the content is almost random. What I mean by "random" is that we are missing A through C and have partial contacts spotted/sprinkled around alphabetically with gaps here and there...

There is a procedure we used to do to determine corrupt contacts and that was to force a one way sync from the BB device back to Outlook using the USB cord. During the sync if the one way transfer fails it will usually stop on a corrupt contact. This is what I am thinking is going on here however looking at everyone's post here I am hopeful that you guys have stumbled upon the difference between the 9700 and 9800 Torch...

Thx...

H.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I'm still trying to figure out if my Torch is fully working with the car.

I don't have my E60 anymore to experiment and on my F10, I've noticed some strange stuff but haven't been able to figure out exactly what's going on...

What type of car is the "new 5 Series" you're working with? An E60 or an F10?
Old 11-20-2010, 04:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.

Yes Categories such Business, Friends, family etc.

Originally Posted by hmeister
Moopai...
Do you mean "Groups" when you say "I have categories configured"...
Thx..

H.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:44 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy
I'm still trying to figure out if my Torch is fully working with the car.

I don't have my E60 anymore to experiment and on my F10, I've noticed some strange stuff but haven't been able to figure out exactly what's going on...

What type of car is the "new 5 Series" you're working with? An E60 or an F10?
Rudy...
Thx for the reply...

Since I only assist with BT pairing and making sure the address book uploads I do not know if it is an E60 or F10. Sorry, I am the phone guy at work and drive a Lincoln but I have an email to the Exec Admin to discuss this information on what exact BMW I am working with.

Interestingly, when I go to the BMW site that shows the registered approved phones, on the generic Series 5 sedan the Torch is not even listed. And like others, the 9700 Bold worked flawlessly... Why did we move to the Torch? - Well, there was the previous iPhone sandwiched after the 9700 Bold and we had difficulties with our Exchange Server iphone (and the amount of users we had and the Active Sync service was having issues so we moved him to the Torch.) I would never think that there would be an issue with the Beemer and BB since we have had seamless performance since the 8310's...

I am still thinking it is a corrupt contact on the BB since I never setup any groups on his address book but need to check this lead out on Monday.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:46 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Moopai
Yes Categories such Business, Friends, family etc.
Moopai...

Thanks for the reply and Rudy also commented on this. Monday I am going to critique the address book again and look for this...

H.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:54 PM
Members

Rudi & Moopai ....
Kudos to you!!

Thumbs Up.... to both of you - Your advice was "Spot On"...

I removed all the catagories - these are not the same as groups... or may be they are however to your point if you look into the contacts and you can see if a contact belongs to a catagory then this will shed light on the issue.

I removed ALL catagories in the contacts and left the default value of none and all 453 contacts sync'd!!

I did not have to repair but rather...
1.) Removed all catagories.
2.) Pulled the battery and watched the phone reboot & re-connect and it sync'd all contacts... Done!

That is what tipped me off on the partial sync. Your tips & the first sync'd address in the address book had, after closer inspection, the catagory "Personal"...

Regards & Happy Times

H.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:21 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Glad you figured it out...

Not to confuse things more but I have multiple categories defined and I don't think they cause a problem. What's been proven to cause a problem, at least with earlier BB software and the E60, was "contact groups".

Either way, as long as you're happy with how things are working, then I guess all is well!
Old 01-20-2011, 09:29 AM
New Members

If you value Customer opinions about this, go to http://tinyurl.com/aaidemo/, enter the product name or number (like "Blackberry Torch") and click on "Submit" button. The system will aggregate and analyze customer reviews to calculate the reputation metrics for you and will let you read the reviews if you want to. I know they had extensive research on smart phones and published pretty amazing results in their blog section, however if you don't find specific model, let them know and they will get the results within few hours. Pretty cool and free!
Blackberry Torch