Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

BlackBerry Torch 9800

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 04:16 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.

Anyone experiencing problems with the new BB Torch? I got mine over the weekend and today was the first day to use it in my car. I noticed everytime I call a name to dial the iDrive does not recognize the name and tries to dial another person. I deleted and re-paired the device with the car multiple times hoping to solve the problem but it did not. When I got home I switched phones and used my old BB Bold 9000 with no issues at all, so that tells me it is the Torch not the E60.

Anyone experiencing the same problem? Any ideas on how to solve this problem? Thanks
Old 10-12-2010, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Are you talking about using voice commands to dial by name or just using the iDrive controller?

I never had much success in dialing by voice commands with my Bold 9000 or my Torch 9800. Other than that, my Torch works fine with the car...
Old 10-12-2010, 07:13 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Subscribed. Been waiting for my company to certify the Torch and looks like it'll be approved by next week.

Then again, I've never used the voice commands to dial; just used my phone. hahaha
Old 10-13-2010, 04:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.

It's the voice command that I meant. It worked like a charm and still do with the Bold but not the Torch, not even a single name!!

Originally Posted by Rudy
Are you talking about using voice commands to dial by name or just using the iDrive controller?

I never had much success in dialing by voice commands with my Bold 9000 or my Torch 9800. Other than that, my Torch works fine with the car...
Old 10-13-2010, 07:32 PM
Senior Members

I spoke to RIM this morning about the problem they pointed the finger at BMW. According to RIM once they download the address book to the iDrive their job is done. I spoke to the dealer later on, they are not aware of any problems. WTF! A Bold 9000, Cure 8300 and Curve 8520 works perfectly with the voice command except of the Torch. Why?????

Originally Posted by Moopai
It's the voice command that I meant. It worked like a charm and still do with the Bold but not the Torch, not even a single name!!
Old 10-14-2010, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I spoke to RIM this morning about the problem they pointed the finger at BMW. According to RIM once they download the address book to the iDrive their job is done. I spoke to the dealer later on, they are not aware of any problems. WTF! A Bold 9000, Cure 8300 and Curve 8520 works perfectly with the voice command except of the Torch. Why?????
I can't offer an explanation but I do agree with the logic that the phone, once the data is uploaded to the car, plays no part in the effectiveness of the voice recognition. Do you have the same amount of entries being uploaded (between the Bold and the Torch?) I noticed something the other day (but haven't had time to get more details) that puzzles me. I have close to 2000 contacts in my BB. On the Bold, not all of them would transfer and I assumed there was a memory limitation on the BMW side that prevented the entire book from uploading. My solution was to configure the Bold to only upload specific categories to the car. This way, I was only uploading a subset of the data and I was able to get things to work better.

Now, with the Torch, I think all my entires are, in fact, uploading (with no category exclusions) so maybe the car has more memory that I thought and that the Bold was somehow aborting the transfer? (It could've been something relating to the "contact group" glitch, I suppose...)

My point is that the more contact entries uploaded to the phone, the harder it is to get the voice recognition to accurately find a specific entry. I'll likely not have much time to troubleshoot things further with my car since I'm not a big voice command user and my new car has taken his Dramamine and is getting ready to sail!

Old 10-14-2010, 05:59 PM
Senior Members

Rudy,

I have categories configured because you are right the Bold and previously the Curve had an issue or even the car is only limited to 400 to 500 contacts max and my address book has over 1100 contacts. The categories that I have configured does not download to the car more 60 -70 contacts at max. What's annoying is the voice recognition is not recognizing ANY names at all! If it was sometimes working and other times it not I would live with it but it's not working at all with the Torch. The minute I sync back the Bold or the Curve it works like a charm. Today I thought about replacing the device since it is within 30 days and get a new Torch, maybe it's a faulty device!!!!

Did you get your new car yet? Post some pictures as soon as you get. It's a nice looking car, I'm beginning to see more and more of them in Toronto.

Originally Posted by Rudy
I can't offer an explanation but I do agree with the logic that the phone, once the data is uploaded to the car, plays no part in the effectiveness of the voice recognition. Do you have the same amount of entries being uploaded (between the Bold and the Torch?) I noticed something the other day (but haven't had time to get more details) that puzzles me. I have close to 2000 contacts in my BB. On the Bold, not all of them would transfer and I assumed there was a memory limitation on the BMW side that prevented the entire book from uploading. My solution was to configure the Bold to only upload specific categories to the car. This way, I was only uploading a subset of the data and I was able to get things to work better.

Now, with the Torch, I think all my entires are, in fact, uploading (with no category exclusions) so maybe the car has more memory that I thought and that the Bold was somehow aborting the transfer? (It could've been something relating to the "contact group" glitch, I suppose...)

My point is that the more contact entries uploaded to the phone, the harder it is to get the voice recognition to accurately find a specific entry. I'll likely not have much time to troubleshoot things further with my car since I'm not a big voice command user and my new car has taken his Dramamine and is getting ready to sail!
Old 10-14-2010, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

definitely worth trying to sync another torch unit before going any further...anyone you know have a torch that you could test out?
Old 10-14-2010, 07:43 PM
Senior Members

I don't know anyone that has one but my carrier is going to send me another unit in couple of days. I will let you guys know how it goes!

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
definitely worth trying to sync another torch unit before going any further...anyone you know have a torch that you could test out?
Old 10-14-2010, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

I don't know anyone that has one but my carrier is going to send me another unit in couple of days. I will let you guys know how it goes!
sounds like a plan...good luck..keep us posted...rare to hear of pairing issues with BB/RIM devices, hope it is just an isolated device issue

Quick Reply: BlackBerry Torch 9800