Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Blackberry Bold (9000)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 05:36 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Blackberry Bold paired with a 2007 E60 and haven?t experienced any problems. Everything woks great: place and receive calls, signal strength indicator, missed call indicator, address book sync, caller ID, etc. Just went to the dealer with some shifting and iDrive issues. They told me the Bold was not supported and that the pairing must be deleted or BMW would refuse warranty work. They actually told me that the iDrive could lock up and that I could be stranded due to incompatibility between the phone and iDrive. Has anyone heard this? Does BMW actually void warranty work because of the phone paired with the device? I thought the BMW compatible phones were tested by BMW and that others may work.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

BS, not true...where are you located? what dealership? Never read or heard of anyting so stupid...I am sure we can recc a dealership that knows better...

BB Curve's and Storms are not on the list either...and a lot of members here use these phones (I have a BB Curve), my SA never said anything like that...and yes he knew I have paired my curve to my e60..
Old 03-12-2009, 02:03 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530D SE; Mystic Blue; Beige Leather; Luxury Pack; Media Pack; Visibility Pack; 123's; Logic 7; + to many more to type........... 2008 730D; Black Sapphire; Cream Beige Leather; plenty of options!

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='814229' date='Mar 12 2009, 01:41 AM
BS, not true...where are you located? what dealership? Never read or heard of anyting so stupid...I am sure we can recc a dealership that knows better...

BB Curve's and Storms are not on the list either...and a lot of members here use these phones (I have a BB Curve), my SA never said anything like that...and yes he knew I have paired my curve to my e60..
The siutation - check out SIB 84 21 07 dated November 2007 - here BMW states the case where an unapproved paired phone causes a 'problem' the repair will not be considered warranty, quote from the SIB 84 21 07;

"Any repairs made to a vehicle which appear to have been caused by an unapproved handset being paired to the vehicle are NOT a warranty issue. An example of this is when the radio is temporarily muted because the unapproved device was paired to the vehicle, but once the unapproved device is deleted from the device list, the radio functions properly."
Old 03-13-2009, 06:49 AM
Members

This is definitely true. When my iDrive froze on me and my dealership discovered that my phone was not on their list, they told me that if I continue to use this phone, they will charge me for any work on the iDrive if it acts up again. How stupid is that? The car has bluetooth but I can't use it unless i have one of the 3 phones BMW has on their list for my carrier? And those phones are outdated to boot...just stupid. I have Tmobile.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by Hailander' post='815666' date='Mar 13 2009, 10:49 AM
This is definitely true. When my iDrive froze on me and my dealership discovered that my phone was not on their list, they told me that if I continue to use this phone, they will charge me for any work on the iDrive if it acts up again. How stupid is that? The car has bluetooth but I can't use it unless i have one of the 3 phones BMW has on their list for my carrier? And those phones are outdated to boot...just stupid. I have Tmobile.
rename your phone to "BlackBerry 8100" in the bluetooth options and re-pair it. it will then show as such on the iDrive when they look at your settings. Problem solved.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:28 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530D SE; Mystic Blue; Beige Leather; Luxury Pack; Media Pack; Visibility Pack; 123's; Logic 7; + to many more to type........... 2008 730D; Black Sapphire; Cream Beige Leather; plenty of options!

Originally Posted by Hailander' post='815666' date='Mar 13 2009, 02:49 PM

Hailander, reading the SIB notice it would seem your dealer has made a strict interpretation, which is not the case perhaps ? the situation is not emphatic from the SIB notice; here in the full text of the SIB; make your own interpretation!

SIB???????????

SI B 84 21 07 Communication Systems November 2007

Technical Service

SITUATION
The customer paired an unapproved handset to a vehicle and now has a complaint. Please use the information provided in this bulletin as guidance during the diagnosis and warranty process.

COMPATIBLE HANDSET INFORMATION
Visit www.bmwusa.com/bluetooth for a list of handsets that have passed BMW testing for compatibility. Note the following disclaimer on this web site:

? "This list is provided for reference only. The mobile phones listed here have passed compatibility tests as of the date of testing and meet or exceed minimum standards established by BMW. The list is not a warranty for phone performance or functionality. BMW makes no guarantees or warrantees as to the performance of each phone while connected to your BMW via Bluetooth Wireless Technology. Furthermore, software releases by BMW, the phone supplier or the wireless carrier dated after testing might alter compatibly results. While many phones are offered with Bluetooth Wireless Technology, not all phones support the necessary profiles to work with your BMW. BMW does not guarantee availability or functionality with all wireless carriers. Functions such as synchronizing the address book and transferring a call into or out of the vehicle may function differently from phone to phone".

UNAPPROVED PHONES
"Unapproved phones" means that either the handset has not been tested, or has been tested but a problem was revealed. Due to the length of time that it takes to validate a handset when a handset is initially available for purchase, it may not be on the compatible list, but could be added at a later date.

On some handsets, the initial handset software may have bugs which prevent normal hands-free operation and which prevent the handset from being added to the list. In some instances, the handset manufacturers are working on maintenance releases to correct issues and these may result in the handset being added to the list at a later date.

Here are some common issues seen when pairing unapproved handsets to a vehicle:
? The handset constantly connects and then disconnects from the vehicle.
? The phonebook does not download correctly.
? The phone book never finishes downloading. The radio or Control Display is stuck on the phonebook download screen.
? A phone call cannot be initiated or ended via the vehicle controls.
? The phone call has ended, but the communication menu shows the call time counter still counting and the radio remains muted, even after the ignition is shut off.

No permanent damage will be caused if an unapproved handset is paired to the vehicle, but it could temporarily put the TCU into an inoperative state.

Diagnostic tips for resolving communication issues after an unapproved handset has been paired to the vehicle

The following sequential actions may be required to resolve the inoperative state:
1. Power down the unapproved handset and remove the handset from the vicinity of the vehicle. Wait several minutes. This will allow the internal timer of the TCU to reset. If the problem is not resolved, proceed to step 2.
2. Allow the vehicle to assume sleep mode. If the problem is not resolved, proceed to step 3.
3. Allow the vehicle to assume sleep mode and then disconnect the battery for 16 minutes.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Any repairs made to a vehicle which appear to have been caused by an unapproved handset being paired to the vehicle are NOT a warranty issue. An example of this is when the radio is temporarily muted because the unapproved device was paired to the vehicle, but once the unapproved device is deleted from the device list, the radio functions properly.

The following is an example of what would be covered:
? The customer has an unapproved handset paired to the vehicle and it has worked (with or without anomalies) for an extended period of time. Suddenly, the handset no longer pairs to the vehicle. When diagnosing the vehicle, the TCU has fault code 73, Memory Error. The unapproved device is deleted from the device list and an unsuccessful attempt is made to pair an approved phone.

All customer concerns must be verified with a compatible Bluetooth handset.
The unapproved handset must be deleted from the TCU paired device list.

After pairing an approved device to the vehicle, a short test using BMW Diagnostic tools must be performed and FASTA data has to be transmitted. If a warranty claim is submitted and FASTA data shows that an unapproved handset was in the Bluetooth device list during the diagnostic process, the warranty claim may be subject to a denial of claim payment.

Copyright ? 2007 BMW of North America, LLC ]
Old 03-14-2009, 05:16 AM
Members

I use my BOLD with my E66 '03 and never had a problem, just keep using it.