Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Better Bluetooth Streaming

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 02:15 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 550i E60 Alpine White

Originally Posted by fares1212
hey guys, i bought recently 528i 2010 and i noticed i dont have the new cic idrive, i have the old one the ccc
Did you check the vin number on say the Vin Decoder to see whether it's really 2010? My understanding was that all 2010 vehicles (2010 MY are made in 2009) have CIC.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:08 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2005 530i BMW
Model Year: 2005
Default Bmw aux

Originally Posted by Tsoup
​​​​​​
I actually installed a Aux port up front to use with Aux cable to connect my phone. My 2004 530i Sport does not have Aux connection on the panel back there. But does it have the wiring behind the panel? Just curious about what I'd be actually soldering back there if the panel doesn't have an Aux jack??
- How difficult was this task? What did you order? Do you have any pictures?
Old 05-26-2018, 11:28 AM
New Members

My Ride: 13 X5 35i M-Sport (Sold) 535i M-Sport - (Sold) 07 530i Sport Gray - (Traded) 04 530i Sport Gray
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by Amourjayee

- How difficult was this task? What did you order? Do you have any pictures?
Not difficult at all. Rosinc has how to videos and Aux cable for purchase. If I were doing it over, I wouldn't drill the Aux hole in/on the DSC panel. I'd drill it in the glove box and route the cable out. I bought the shown BT board.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:12 PM
New Members

My Ride: 13 X5 35i M-Sport (Sold) 535i M-Sport - (Sold) 07 530i Sport Gray - (Traded) 04 530i Sport Gray
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by BostonJon
You need to tap into the wiring for one of the cigarette lighters. 12v goes to the spot marked VCC on the board and your ground wire goes to GND. It also looks like you have a barrel connector on the board. You could use that to supply power as well but you'd still have to tap into the existing 12v and ground wires.

If you don't want to tap into the wires and you aren't using both cigarette lighters, you could disconnect the wires from one of them, clip/strip the ends, and solder those on.

The only limitation with this location is that the cigarette lighters are not powered unless the engine is running - they do not work when just the ignition is on. This is a slight annoyance because you can't be sitting in the car listening with the car off - the engine has to be idling for this to work. You'd have to tap into 12v wiring that is hot with just the ingnition on to get past this limitation.
This!!!
The rear Aux port allows this and I want this to continue AFTER installing BT board back here. How do I connect (to a power source) to allow car off accessories on music listening??
Old 04-02-2019, 07:51 AM
New Members

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My Ride: Deep Sea Blue E61 535xi

I'm resurrecting this thread since I haven't seen any other device worth mentioning for my setup, and this method still looks best and cheapest. I have the typical AUX jack on the outside and back of the center console, but no USB port in the car, which is a damn shame. If I plug my droid phone directly into the AUX port and choose AUX on the iDrive menu it plays music fine, but the volume is greatly reduced compared to the same settings when listening to AM/FM or when getting a phone call. Sound quality is fine, it's just the volume is way too low. I've played with the phone volume, the EQ settings on the car, etc, but the volume is just way lower compared to those other inputs. Anybody else have this complaint about the AUX jack?

Previous owner had the dealership put the ipod adapter in the car with the cable in the glove compartment. I'm not a fan of the ipod method since the same song always starts when the car is started and it doesn't shut down the ipod when the key is turned off. I'm also thinking the setup leads to reduced battery life due to it maybe not shutting down audio module(s) properly. P.O. had dealership records showing 2 visits to diagnose and resolve low battery issues. I don't use the ipod method and haven't seen any issues thus far. Coincidence? No idea, but again, not a fan of this method.

So, I just received my board and a couple gold-plated RCA jacks with which to wire everything up. I'll post some pics at some point to clarify some things I haven't seen written up here.
The board I ordered (labeled as Wondom when it arrived):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HFG8G7Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HFG8G7Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The RCA jacks I plan to cut and use:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019D048XC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019D048XC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like how this will allow me to stream music on the phone (or over the cell network) thru the car, but I haven't seen any evidence that this method will alleviate the low volume issue I see when jacking my phone directly into the AUX jack. Does bypassing the AUX jack, because the board is hardwired into the AUX wiring to the module(s) behind the AUX jack resolve the low volume issue, or is this low volume issue just something I'll have to live with?
Old 04-02-2019, 08:14 AM
Members

If you're looking for alternative solutions, have a look at post #50 in the attached thread. I used a Belkin unit for years that was seemless.... my phone attached as soon as everything powered-up and sound was really good. You'll see from my review, that I found it the best of what I tried. I ran it for years and have since moved to an F10 so don't use it anymore, but it was great.

https://5series.net/forums/e60-discu...-121832/page5/
Old 04-02-2019, 08:58 AM
Administrator

Received 96 Likes on 92 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

To answer MysticRob's immediate questions, yes, I used to experience the low volume when I plugged my phone into the aux jack with a patch cord and yes, the problem is solved with the installation of the board. I suspect there may be some sort of preamp installed on the board that solves the problem. Just make sure the volume on the phone is turned up all the way and then you can adjust the sound with either the radio knob or the steering wheel controls.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:57 AM
New Members

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My Ride: Deep Sea Blue E61 535xi

Originally Posted by JeffCharger
If you're looking for alternative solutions, have a look at post #50 in the attached thread. I used a Belkin unit for years that was seemless.... my phone attached as soon as everything powered-up and sound was really good. You'll see from my review, that I found it the best of what I tried. I ran it for years and have since moved to an F10 so don't use it anymore, but it was great.

https://5series.net/forums/e60-discu...-121832/page5/
Yeah, I'd read that thread, and your post, but due to the Belkin bugs and no testing with droid I dismissed it. Still thinking this Sure Electronics board is the best (and cheapest!) way to go at this point.

Originally Posted by JayArras
To answer MysticRob's immediate questions, yes, I used to experience the low volume when I plugged my phone into the aux jack with a patch cord and yes, the problem is solved with the installation of the board. I suspect there may be some sort of preamp installed on the board that solves the problem. Just make sure the volume on the phone is turned up all the way and then you can adjust the sound with either the radio knob or the steering wheel controls.
That is good news. I'd read the sound quality was excellent but just nothing specific about the volume being better pre- or post- AUX jack. I'll have to assume there's an amp on the board too, since really all this thing is doing is bypassing the AUX jack itself, at least the way I understand it. If so, then hallelujah, this might be perfect. At one point when I was listening to music thru the AUX jack I got a call and just about went deaf because I had the radio volume up so high (as well as the phone itself). Would be nice if I can avoid blowing out my eardrums with differing volume levels on the various different inputs.
Old 04-02-2019, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Received 96 Likes on 92 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by MysticRob
I'll have to assume there's an amp on the board too, since really all this thing is doing is bypassing the AUX jack itself, at least the way I understand it.
And of course, reading the Bluetooth signal from your phone.
Old 04-03-2019, 05:11 AM
New Members

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530xiT (E61)

Originally Posted by JayArras
Just make sure the volume on the phone is turned up all the way and then you can adjust the sound with either the radio knob or the steering wheel controls.
One comment here.....I have the same board and have found that there is some distortion if the phone volume is turned all the way up. I keep the phone volume two "clicks" from the highest setting and do not experience any distortion.

Edit: I've had this installed for quite a while and haven't had any issues whatsoever and am still really happy with the install.

Quick Reply: Better Bluetooth Streaming