Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Better Bluetooth Streaming

Old 01-31-2017, 08:38 AM
Administrator

Received 96 Likes on 92 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

UPDATE: Happy to report that I was finally able to complete this project with the help of an electrical engineer friend who identified the connections and soldered the wires for me.

I am ecstatic with the results! The audio volume and quality is excellent and I'm able to have both the Waze for traffic reports app and Pandora for music app running at the same time over my Prologic 11 speaker system. I have a magnetic mount for my phone on the dash vent and can easily see artist/song information and flip back and forth between the music app and Waze. Incoming and outgoing phone calls pause the streaming until the completion of the call. I am leaving my Sirius subscription behind forever.
Attached Thumbnails Better Bluetooth Streaming-img_20170129_174229264.jpg   Better Bluetooth Streaming-img_20170129_174203494.jpg  

Last edited by JayArras; 01-31-2017 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-18-2017, 12:02 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 13 X5 35i M-Sport (Sold) 535i M-Sport - (Sold) 07 530i Sport Gray - (Traded) 04 530i Sport Gray
Model Year: 2004
Default Aux connection behind back lighter panel?

Originally Posted by JayArras
UPDATE: Happy to report that I was finally able to complete this project with the help of an electrical engineer friend who identified the connections and soldered the wires for me.

I am ecstatic with the results! The audio volume and quality is excellent and I'm able to have both the Waze for traffic reports app and Pandora for music app running at the same time over my Prologic 11 speaker system. I have a magnetic mount for my phone on the dash vent and can easily see artist/song information and flip back and forth between the music app and Waze. Incoming and outgoing phone calls pause the streaming until the completion of the call. I am leaving my Sirius subscription behind forever.
​​​​​​
I actually installed a Aux port up front to use with Aux cable to connect my phone. My 2004 530i Sport does not have Aux connection on the panel back there. But does it have the wiring behind the panel? Just curious about what I'd be actually soldering back there if the panel doesn't have an Aux jack??
Old 02-18-2017, 03:24 AM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 535XI
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Bluetooth project complete.

Everything under my center concole.
Attached Thumbnails Better Bluetooth Streaming-img_3502.jpg   Better Bluetooth Streaming-img_3489.jpg  

Last edited by Kewill0360; 02-18-2017 at 06:53 AM.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:05 AM
New Members

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i+BT+AUX+Coding
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by Tsoup
​​​​​​
I actually installed a Aux port up front to use with Aux cable to connect my phone. My 2004 530i Sport does not have Aux connection on the panel back there. But does it have the wiring behind the panel? Just curious about what I'd be actually soldering back there if the panel doesn't have an Aux jack??
If you don't have the aux audio there you will have to pull a cable from the front aux to there for the input to the BT board, should be easy
Old 02-18-2017, 06:46 AM
Administrator

It might be easier just to install the board behind the glove box. You should be able to tap into the cigarette lighter wires from the port underneath.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:58 AM
New Members

My Ride: 13 X5 35i M-Sport (Sold) 535i M-Sport - (Sold) 07 530i Sport Gray - (Traded) 04 530i Sport Gray

It might be easier just to install the board behind the glove box. You should be able to tap into the cigarette lighter wires from the port underneath.
This...
Old 02-20-2017, 09:22 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by insyder
I was using a USB stick style bluetooth that plugged into my rear console aux line. This was "sufficient" until my 6 year old snapped it in half while sitting in the middle seat.

Not to be dissuaded, I looked for a more "integrated" solution. Enter the Pure Electronics Bluetooth receiver. Full 2.1 + EDR bluetooth with the APTx codec means high quality audio. 12volt input makes for easy hookup with no messing around with power adaptors or any other nonsense.

First step was wiring 12v to one of the cigarette lighters. This is easy as you can solder directly from the bluetooth receiver PCB to a couple of points on the cigaretter lighter housing with only a few inches of wire in between.

Then I had to crack open the AUX module and using a meter to determine what was left channel, right channel and ground, soldered in some scrap RCA cables and drilled a hole out the back of the module so the RCAs could jack directly into my shiny new Bluetooth receiver. Finished up by mounting the PCB to the top of the AUX module with a little double sided tape and...

I don't understand the other side of this board: The RCA red/white is plugged in on this viewable side...what are the red/white cables going to underneath??

Then snap the cover back in. Yes that's the same pic as the before picture. Point being that externally, there's nothing to see here. Super clean, super stock.

I don't have this....I added one up front using ROSKINC Aux DIY -- so I'll be doing mine up front...??? Is the back side or inside of the Aux what the red/white RCA cable leads are being connected or soldered to???

Last edited by JayArras; 02-20-2017 at 10:14 AM.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:21 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Tsoup
I don't understand the other side of this board: The RCA red/white is plugged in on this viewable side...what are the red/white cables going to underneath??
Yes, the RCA wires are soldered to two points on the AUX board. or... (see below)

Then snap the cover back in. Yes that's the same pic as the before picture. Point being that externally, there's nothing to see here. Super clean, super stock.

I don't have this....I added one up front using ROSKINC Aux DIY -- so I'll be doing mine up front...??? Is the back side or inside of the Aux what the red/white RCA cable leads are being connected or soldered to???
I disconnected my AUX jack wire harness and used a 3.5 mm male headphone plug from an old set of headphones and just tapped into the harness wires. Then that plugs into the Sure board. (see pic below)
Attached Thumbnails Better Bluetooth Streaming-img_20170129_174203494.jpg  

Last edited by JayArras; 02-20-2017 at 10:27 AM.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:01 PM
New Members

My Ride: E61 520d 2007

Has anyone experimented on sound quality differences between headphone jack and RCA outputs of the Sure Electronics board, which is the better way of connecting to a E60 aux-in?

Anxiously waiting for my board to arrive...
Old 02-21-2017, 05:48 AM
New Members

Smile

Yes, the RCA wires are soldered to two points on the AUX board. or... (see below)

I disconnected my AUX jack wire harness and used a 3.5 mm male headphone plug from an old set of headphones and just tapped into the harness wires. Then that plugs into the Sure board. (see pic below)
Okay I went back through all 18 pgs of this post and see where I can/cld buy a male/male 3.5mm adapter/connector as the 'in between' of the Aux cable and Sure board -- instead of tearing apart the Aux cable and wiring another 'plug' (headphone cable you mentioned) to plug into Sure board. It just dawned on me I cld just get a shorter Aux cable too. I'll prolly do one of these options so I won't have to tear my AUX cable apart.

And I note in your pic you don't have the red/white RCA plugs going into left/right channels of the Sure board...perhaps b/c you have my setup...no Aux 'board' that the plugs wld be soldered to (Aux board)?? So w/no Aux board it's just the one connection frm Aux cable to Sure middle jack?? I did note one of your pics has the white headphone jack in middle and a black plug connected to the side jack(of Sure board)...not sure what that's about/for.

Then, the cig lighter connection (power): I don't fully grasp this yet. I believe a wire is tapped or spliced to go to Sure board (soldered somewhere on board). I wld like to have the option of listening to music with car off though...which might require another power source frm my limited understanding.

Thanks for walking me through this. I didn't want to order board before fully understanding - nothing worse than going in and missing something then having to put things back together unfinished! I think I'm ready to order the board now!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Better Bluetooth Streaming