Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Any news on the Verizon 710

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 07:44 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are reports of new software releases in the last few days - these are not universal but if you go to howard forums you can download them and flash yourself.

It fixes the Acura TL's bluetooth problems (battery str and signal str) and there are also fixes to the phonebook xfer function.

So has anybody tried this with the e60?

If anyone has a 710 go to howardforums.com and get the update and try it .... for the rest of us. I have already trialed a 710 but returned it. I still might buy one again and try ....

I trialed the v505 and ATT but I had a couple of "holes" in my area that were too annoying.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:45 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 300TTto545' date='Dec 7 2004, 11:44 AM
There are reports of new software releases in the last few days - these are not universal but if you go to howard forums you can download them and flash yourself.

It fixes the Acura TL's bluetooth problems (battery str and signal str) and there are also fixes to the phonebook xfer function.

If anyone has a 710 go to howardforums.com and get the update and try it .... for the rest of us. I have already trialed a 710 but returned it. I still might buy one again and try ....

I trialed the v505 and ATT but I had a couple of "holes" in my area that were too annoying.
[snapback]66080[/snapback]

I have the V710, but not the E60 yet, thanks of course to BMW NA....

hopefully by the time they offer what I want , Motorola will have bluetooth working...
Old 12-07-2004, 08:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by m630' date='Dec 7 2004, 10:45 AM
[quote name='300TTto545' date='Dec 7 2004, 11:44 AM']There are reports of new software releases in the last few days - these are not universal but if you go to howard forums you can download them and flash yourself.

[snapback]66102[/snapback]
[/quote]

I have the V710 sitting in a drawer at home. The number forwards to a cingular account and a RAZR V3, which works remarkably well with the E60. There is still no official update from Verizon. I have my doubts that it will be in by December 15th which is my deadline. After that I will just port my number to the RAZR. Cingular's coverage is not as good a Verizon's, but its not bad. I get calls everywhere I need them. I do tend to pay more attention to the bars now as they stare at me on the I-Drive screen. The coverage will only get better as the merger with ATT will be technically completed in the Los Angeles area by March 05.

The RAZR and its functionality with my car will probably take me away from Verizon.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:46 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Dec 7 2004, 11:58 AM
[quote name='m630' date='Dec 7 2004, 10:45 AM'][quote name='300TTto545' date='Dec 7 2004, 11:44 AM']There are reports of new software releases in the last few days - these are not universal but if you go to howard forums you can download them and flash yourself.

[/quote]

I have the V710 sitting in a drawer at home. The number forwards to a cingular account and a RAZR V3, which works remarkably well with the E60. There is still no official update from Verizon. I have my doubts that it will be in by December 15th which is my deadline. After that I will just port my number to the RAZR. Cingular's coverage is not as good a Verizon's, but its not bad. I get calls everywhere I need them. I do tend to pay more attention to the bars now as they stare at me on the I-Drive screen. The coverage will only get better as the merger with ATT will be technically completed in the Los Angeles area by March 05.

The RAZR and its functionality with my car will probably take me away from Verizon.
[snapback]66110[/snapback]
[/quote]

Since you have it tucked in a drawer ... how about trying the flash. I realize that it isn't official yet so I can understand not wanting to do it but if you are returning the phone anyway....

My complaint about the V3 is that you don't get less features than a v710 and my other issue is that I don't believe that coverage will get better once the merger is complete - don't they already share towers?
Old 12-07-2004, 03:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by 300TTto545' date='Dec 7 2004, 02:46 PM
[quote name='Hormazd' date='Dec 7 2004, 11:58 AM'][quote name='m630' date='Dec 7 2004, 10:45 AM'][quote name='300TTto545' date='Dec 7 2004, 11:44 AM']There are reports of new software releases in the last few days - these are not universal but if you go to howard forums you can download them and flash yourself.

[/quote]

[snapback]66110[/snapback]
[/quote]

Since you have it tucked in a drawer ... how about trying the flash. I realize that it isn't official yet so I can understand not wanting to do it but if you are returning the phone anyway....

My complaint about the V3 is that you don't get less features than a v710 and my other issue is that I don't believe that coverage will get better once the merger is complete - don't they already share towers?
[snapback]66234[/snapback]
[/quote]

Don't have a cable or the inclination to do the flash.

The V3 allows me to:
1. Browse the WAP websites for emergency news, movie times etc.
2. DUN through BT. Very important for me.
3. Speaker Phone.
4. Camera superior to V710.
5. Sound quality (fine for me)
6. WORKS WITH MY E60!

I don't know what other features it is lacking. I assume you you meant "get less features".

Cingular/ATT do share cell sites. But, some of the old ATT towers are still analogue and TDMA. The full GSM conversion is a work in progress.

What am I missing on V3. Other than ofcourse Verizons better CDMA coverage.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:46 AM
Contributors

The unofficial (SuperDave) flash still does not enable OBEX. AFAIK this needs to be enabled fully to function with the BMW ULF. This does not bode well for prospects of using a V710 with the E60. I will still give Verizon until the 15th of this month to release a flash before tranfering my phone number.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:06 AM
Senior Members

I just spoke with someone at Motorola. He appeared to be very knowledgable and acknowledged everything that we all know about the V710 and Verizon. He claimed that there was a fix on the way, that it has been delayed and that it is now due out "by the last week of December". However, he also said that I'd have to take the phone to a repair center (probably a Verizon store will due) for them to download the fix.

So for what it's worth, I'm going to hold off until after the holidays to make a decision on what to do with the 710 and a BT install for my MY04.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:13 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by hinckley' date='Dec 9 2004, 01:06 PM
I just spoke with someone at Motorola.? He appeared to be very knowledgable and acknowledged everything that we all know about the V710 and Verizon.? He claimed that there was a fix on the way, that it has been delayed and that it is now due out "by the last week of December".? However, he also said that I'd have to take the phone to a repair center (probably a Verizon store will due) for them to download the fix.?

So for what it's worth, I'm going to hold off until after the holidays to make a decision on what to do with the 710 and a BT install for my MY04.
[snapback]67050[/snapback]

I heard the end of December at the earliest as well...we'll have to wait and see
Old 12-09-2004, 09:47 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i, Olivin Green, w/Sports Package, basic stereo, chrome wheels, tinted windows, Bluetooth enabled with Moto V710 (Verizon), Sirius Sat Radio (aftermarket), Auxiliary Input for Ipod.

I called BMWNA to get some answers regarding BT. They sent me alist of compatible phones.

Here is a listing.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
BluetoothPhones11_04.pdf (71.9 KB, 106 views)
Old 12-09-2004, 10:47 AM
Members

Originally Posted by teriyaki88' date='Dec 9 2004, 11:47 AM
I called BMWNA to get some answers regarding BT.? They sent me alist of compatible phones.

Here is a listing.
[snapback]67070[/snapback]

Ok, so based on the "official BMW list," Verizon does not carry a phone that is compatible with the E60 BLuetooth. ???

Quick Reply: Any news on the Verizon 710