Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Any cool tricks to using bluetooth?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 09:33 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Ooooooh! I've got to try that tomorrow.

So do you mean that if I have someone in my directory named "anashole" my car will ask me if
I want to be connected to...
Old 12-17-2005, 07:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

That's a good idea for having fun with friends...I think I need to program that!
Old 12-17-2005, 07:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

I just tried it a few minutes ago on my way into work using my own last name.
I used the typical american butcher job (as my last name doesn't sound at all like it is spelled).
Not only did it recognize it, it repeated it back to me with the correct pronunciation and even a little dialect.
I'm impressed.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Well there you go then!
Old 12-17-2005, 07:25 AM
Contributors

I'll try it later today to see if it uses the proper intonation for my question a few posts above. I'll report back.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='212368' date='Dec 16 2005, 10:02 PM
On nav cars, the "Save Name" command isn't needed anymore. The car now uses speech-to-text processing where you simply pronounce the name as it's spelled in the phone's directory and it will recognize it. No need to "teach" the car any voice tags.

It's actually pretty cool and it works quite well -- just say "dial name" and it will ask you to say the name. After you say it, it will come back with something like "do you want to be connected with <name pronouced by a computerized voice>?" and you can reply "yes" for it to dial it...

Was this new on a certain software? or was it available from the beginning 2005 with NAV cars?
Old 12-17-2005, 10:35 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by gabman' post='211652
Originally Posted by vnod' post='211416' date='Dec 14 2005, 09:29 PM
[quote name='JStraw' post='211384' date='Dec 14 2005, 09:04 PM']
[quote name='gabman' post='211291' date='Dec 14 2005, 03:54 PM']
You can voice dial from car using button on steering wheel, however you will first need to program names into your car, seperate from those that you may have done on your Cell Phone
Can you please explain how to do this? I am not able to find any option that will let you program names into the car. The names appear from the phone's phonebook. I don't think you can store names directly into the car. Someone correct me if I am mistaken.

My understanding is that numbers can be added directly to the car's A to Z list or at least some list, but I can't figure out why one would want to do so unless his or her phonebook won't upload properly. How do you figure it JS? dgjk mentioned at least the intention of doing so once. I think his phonebook wasn't uploading properly, but don't recall what the issue was for sure.

EDIT: Just saw vnod's response too. Caller id does work. The name of of caller diaplay in the i-drive screen. (At least it does for me - always has) I'll check to see if it works for me if any one ever calls me again. I am so shocked when my phone rings that I have to think about how to answer it, much less try to figure out who is calling me.
[/quote]

I have never had to use the "Add digits" option. The only reason for this option I can see is when you are dialing and then have to punch in access code or something. You can add the access code digits prior to initiating your call. IMO, this is such a limited usability, that it is pretty worthless.

I still don't see the option of saving/programming the name and number using the voice command. Is this a non-us spec "option"??
[/quote]

A) There are various reason for the "ADD DIGIT" feature, for instance if you receive an incomming call which is long distance, you may want to call back this party at some later time. The telephone number is retained in the "Received Call" section of I-Drive which can be called up however unless you add a "1" before the call, it will not be a direct dial call. Same thing if you are trying to page someone, after the beep you may want to add your tel number or a pretermined code.

Voice Command- You have to remember that many people are operating their telephones while they are driving their car and fiddling with the I-Drive while driving can be very destracting. What a better way to call someone then to simply press a button on your steering wheel and have a voice ask you, WHOM WOULD YOU LIKE TO CALL, and then you simply say " Call JStraw" and presto, your call is connected. Most Cell phone's today have the voice dial function, however you have to first set up contacts in the voice dial program of your cell phone, this is over and above just entering a contact into your telephone directory. The same thing has to happen with your car's voice dial system. Even though you have the contact's info in your phone book, you still must seperately set up your voice dial contacts as this part of the systems works on voice recongnition. it only has to be done once and then the names that are preprogrammed can take advantage of voice dialing instead of having to find the name from the I-drive contacts list.

Hope this clarifies things and you can now see the reason for these two options. By the way voice dialing is in all e60's regardless if you have nav or not, but you must have bluetooth.
[/quote]

==>> Call JStraw"

My works different: I need to say "dial" instead of call.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:07 PM
Contributors

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!
So I put in my office number and labled it A$$h0le!
I go through the steps.
It asks me if I'd like to connect to A$$h0le?
Bwaaa Haaaa Haaaaa!
It was hilarious.

Man, I must be working too much. I couldn't stop laughing for 5 minutes!

So if you have a good friend with you, program his cell phone number as A$$h0le (or something appropriate) and then show him how it works.
He'll say Dial A$$h0le and his phone will ring!
Imagine the possiblities...

OK, I've got to find something shiny to play with now.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

HHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHA thats funny! Nothing better to do eh? GO sell some houses! and spare me 10% of the profit.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:18 PM
Contributors

OH, so you DO want those earphones!!

Quick Reply: Any cool tricks to using bluetooth?