Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Any cool tricks to using bluetooth?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 09:22 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 520i, mystic blue, steptronic, beige leather, pdc, bluetooth, rain sensor, BMW sport kit fitted, 18" 166 rep BMW rims , de-badged, cherished reg. chrome grill,

Originally Posted by 2004530i' post='211281' date='Dec 14 2005, 09:42 PM
OK GANG!!!

I'm trying to get the bluetooth software update for my 04 530i (build date of 05/04). After my initial visit at the bmw dealership this past monday WITH the SIB document and all the threads, I was told it couldn't be done. I called them again today again asking to speak with the forman, they FINALLY said they could do it so I'm taking the car in Monday to have software upgraded. It will cost me $236 (without tax and parts if any).

Anyways, I'm pretty happy about this and wondered what/how people are using this feature besides the obvious calling and recieving calls. I am going to be using my RAZR with cingular service in NYC. Couple questions below:

1) When recieving calls, does the radio/cd lower in volume and caller id show up in idrive screen?
2) Can you voice dial any name off phonebook?
3) Can you scroll through the idrive menu and get names?
4) What happens if you miss a call or get a message...will it show an envelope icon on idrive screen?

4) Any other unique features and uses?

thanks
Gene
Just in case everything hasn't been covered

Radio turns off for duration of call, the caller's ID appears if you have it programmed into your phone otherwise it just says incoming call
programme the name in the voice recovery using the spaeker button on your s/wheel and use this to retrieve it when programming get somewhere quiet and speak clearly
Not all phones load the address book onto the idrive I use the SE K750i works perfectly all the time there are others that do likewise if it does you can scroll on the idrive or go to a particular letter and get numbers
No message appears in the idrive but by acessing the comms on the idrive you can see dialled, recieved calls and last number dialled you also have a choice of showing your top 8 numbers or them all in
alphabetical order on the idrive you can also programme a button on your s/wheel to show these, you choose
Hope this helps
A fantastic piece of kit enjoy
Old 12-15-2005, 06:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with Sport Pkg, Nav, HUD, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Shades

Originally Posted by vnod' post='211416
Originally Posted by gabman' post='211291' date='Dec 14 2005, 03:54 PM
You can voice dial from car using button on steering wheel, however you will first need to program names into your car, seperate from those that you may have done on your Cell Phone
Can you please explain how to do this? I am not able to find any option that will let you program names into the car. The names appear from the phone's phonebook. I don't think you can store names directly into the car. Someone correct me if I am mistaken.

My understanding is that numbers can be added directly to the car's A to Z list or at least some list, but I can't figure out why one would want to do so unless his or her phonebook won't upload properly. How do you figure it JS? dgjk mentioned at least the intention of doing so once. I think his phonebook wasn't uploading properly, but don't recall what the issue was for sure.

EDIT: Just saw vnod's response too. Caller id does work. The name of of caller diaplay in the i-drive screen. (At least it does for me - always has) I'll check to see if it works for me if any one ever calls me again. I am so shocked when my phone rings that I have to think about how to answer it, much less try to figure out who is calling me.
[/quote]

I have never had to use the "Add digits" option. The only reason for this option I can see is when you are dialing and then have to punch in access code or something. You can add the access code digits prior to initiating your call. IMO, this is such a limited usability, that it is pretty worthless.

I still don't see the option of saving/programming the name and number using the voice command. Is this a non-us spec "option"??
Old 12-15-2005, 09:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

Originally Posted by JStraw' post='211591
Originally Posted by JStraw' post='211384' date='Dec 14 2005, 09:04 PM
[quote name='gabman' post='211291' date='Dec 14 2005, 03:54 PM']
You can voice dial from car using button on steering wheel, however you will first need to program names into your car, seperate from those that you may have done on your Cell Phone
Can you please explain how to do this? I am not able to find any option that will let you program names into the car. The names appear from the phone's phonebook. I don't think you can store names directly into the car. Someone correct me if I am mistaken.

My understanding is that numbers can be added directly to the car's A to Z list or at least some list, but I can't figure out why one would want to do so unless his or her phonebook won't upload properly. How do you figure it JS? dgjk mentioned at least the intention of doing so once. I think his phonebook wasn't uploading properly, but don't recall what the issue was for sure.

EDIT: Just saw vnod's response too. Caller id does work. The name of of caller diaplay in the i-drive screen. (At least it does for me - always has) I'll check to see if it works for me if any one ever calls me again. I am so shocked when my phone rings that I have to think about how to answer it, much less try to figure out who is calling me.
[/quote]

I have never had to use the "Add digits" option. The only reason for this option I can see is when you are dialing and then have to punch in access code or something. You can add the access code digits prior to initiating your call. IMO, this is such a limited usability, that it is pretty worthless.

I still don't see the option of saving/programming the name and number using the voice command. Is this a non-us spec "option"??
[/quote]

A) There are various reason for the "ADD DIGIT" feature, for instance if you receive an incomming call which is long distance, you may want to call back this party at some later time. The telephone number is retained in the "Received Call" section of I-Drive which can be called up however unless you add a "1" before the call, it will not be a direct dial call. Same thing if you are trying to page someone, after the beep you may want to add your tel number or a pretermined code.

Voice Command- You have to remember that many people are operating their telephones while they are driving their car and fiddling with the I-Drive while driving can be very destracting. What a better way to call someone then to simply press a button on your steering wheel and have a voice ask you, WHOM WOULD YOU LIKE TO CALL, and then you simply say " Call JStraw" and presto, your call is connected. Most Cell phone's today have the voice dial function, however you have to first set up contacts in the voice dial program of your cell phone, this is over and above just entering a contact into your telephone directory. The same thing has to happen with your car's voice dial system. Even though you have the contact's info in your phone book, you still must seperately set up your voice dial contacts as this part of the systems works on voice recongnition. it only has to be done once and then the names that are preprogrammed can take advantage of voice dialing instead of having to find the name from the I-drive contacts list.

Hope this clarifies things and you can now see the reason for these two options. By the way voice dialing is in all e60's regardless if you have nav or not, but you must have bluetooth.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:12 AM
Members

Is it possible to see your phones calender on the I-drive screen if you have the correct compatible phone?

Also does anyone have a list of UK compatible phones, ideally I would like some sort of PDA/Smartphone that will allow the phone contacts (address book) to be dispalyed?

Thanks for your help
Old 12-15-2005, 11:15 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by gabman' post='211652' date='Dec 15 2005, 12:34 PM
A) There are various reason for the "ADD DIGIT" feature, for instance if you receive an incomming call which is long distance, you may want to call back this party at some later time. The telephone number is retained in the "Received Call" section of I-Drive which can be called up however unless you add a "1" before the call, it will not be a direct dial call. Same thing if you are trying to page someone, after the beep you may want to add your tel number or a pretermined code.

Good Points!

Voice Command- You have to remember that many people are operating their telephones while they are driving their car and fiddling with the I-Drive while driving can be very destracting. What a better way to call someone then to simply press a button on your steering wheel and have a voice ask you, WHOM WOULD YOU LIKE TO CALL, and then you simply say " Call JStraw" and presto, your call is connected. Most Cell phone's today have the voice dial function, however you have to first set up contacts in the voice dial program of your cell phone, this is over and above just entering a contact into your telephone directory. The same thing has to happen with your car's voice dial system. Even though you have the contact's info in your phone book, you still must seperately set up your voice dial contacts as this part of the systems works on voice recongnition. it only has to be done once and then the names that are preprogrammed can take advantage of voice dialing instead of having to find the name from the I-drive contacts list.

I know what your trying to say. I wasn't questioning the purpose of voice dial. I was just asking how do you set up voice dial in the car. From what I read from your and other's response, you have to program the voice dial in the car too (separately from the phone's voice dial). I don't know of any option that will let you do this in the car. Someone please correct me if I am wrong here - specific set-up steps would be nice. The phone directory that appears in the car is just a replica of your phone's directory - transfered via bluetooth. There is no phone directory "stored" in the car. You certainly use voice commands in the car to dial a number by saying "Dial gabman" - but you don't have to program or set up anything. (Of course the only pre-requisite is that the there is a "gabman" entry in your phone with or without a voice dial associated with it on the phone).

Hope this clarifies things and you can now see the reason for these two options. By the way voice dialing is in all e60's regardless if you have nav or not, but you must have bluetooth.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

Originally Posted by JStraw' post='211676

Good Points!

I know what your trying to say. I wasn't questioning the purpose of voice dial. I was just asking how do you set up voice dial in the car. From what I read from your and other's response, you have to program the voice dial in the car too (separately from the phone's voice dial). I don't know of any option that will let you do this in the car. Someone please correct me if I am wrong here - specific set-up steps would be nice. The phone directory that appears in the car is just a replica of your phone's directory - transfered via bluetooth. There is no phone directory "stored" in the car. You certainly use voice commands in the car to dial a number by saying "Dial gabman" - but you don't have to program or set up anything. (Of course the only pre-requisite is that the there is a "gabman" entry in your phone with or without a voice dial associated with it on the phone).

[/quote]

JStraw,

There is a button on the left side of your steering wheel. Press it and a voice will say System on, say - Help and the voice will run through all the option available to you, it is very user friendly and understands quite a few commands. Also if you go into the Information section of this forum and scroll down you will find the telephone manual which is a very good read, suggest that you print it up, you will find many usefull things in it. I think pages 15 thru 17 cover voice dial.

Gabman
Old 12-15-2005, 03:10 PM
Contributors

I tried the "Save Name" voice command from the main menu, from the phone menu, etc but it didn't work for me.

I think the "Save Name" option is only available to non-nav (hence without voice commands) models. I did see some earlier posts that indicated this too. I certainly don't have it.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:27 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525i Jet Black (Base + PDC)

Originally Posted by JStraw' post='211766' date='Dec 15 2005, 07:10 PM
I tried the "Save Name" voice command from the main menu, from the phone menu, etc but it didn't work for me.

I think the "Save Name" option is only available to non-nav (hence without voice commands) models. I did see some earlier posts that indicated this too. I certainly don't have it.
The voice commands for phone (including 'Save Name' are available for both Nav and Non-nav E60s. And it has nothing to do with which i-drive menu you are in.

Press the button BELOW the phone icon button on the left side of your steering wheel, you'll then hear a 'beep'. If you don't hear a 'Beep' then it means something wrong with your voice command....
After the beep, say 'Save Name', then a voice will respond 'Please say the name'....etc...
Old 12-16-2005, 08:18 PM
Contributors

I know the voice command buttons. I have used voice commands extensively. The "Save Name" voice command will not work for me - I get a "Cannot understand you" response.

Anybody with '05 Nav E60 US Spec tried this?? I still think this is a Nav v/s Non-Nav issue.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

On nav cars, the "Save Name" command isn't needed anymore. The car now uses speech-to-text processing where you simply pronounce the name as it's spelled in the phone's directory and it will recognize it. No need to "teach" the car any voice tags.

It's actually pretty cool and it works quite well -- just say "dial name" and it will ask you to say the name. After you say it, it will come back with something like "do you want to be connected with <name pronouced by a computerized voice>?" and you can reply "yes" for it to dial it...

Quick Reply: Any cool tricks to using bluetooth?