Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Any cool tricks to using bluetooth?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005 | 12:42 PM
Members

OK GANG!!!

I'm trying to get the bluetooth software update for my 04 530i (build date of 05/04). After my initial visit at the bmw dealership this past monday WITH the SIB document and all the threads, I was told it couldn't be done. I called them again today again asking to speak with the forman, they FINALLY said they could do it so I'm taking the car in Monday to have software upgraded. It will cost me $236 (without tax and parts if any).

Anyways, I'm pretty happy about this and wondered what/how people are using this feature besides the obvious calling and recieving calls. I am going to be using my RAZR with cingular service in NYC. Couple questions below:

1) When recieving calls, does the radio/cd lower in volume and caller id show up in idrive screen?
2) Can you voice dial any name off phonebook?
3) Can you scroll through the idrive menu and get names?
4) What happens if you miss a call or get a message...will it show an envelope icon on idrive screen?

4) Any other unique features and uses?

thanks
Gene
Old 12-14-2005 | 12:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

Originally Posted by 2004530i' post='211281' date='Dec 14 2005, 04:42 PM
OK GANG!!!

I'm trying to get the bluetooth software update for my 04 530i (build date of 05/04). After my initial visit at the bmw dealership this past monday WITH the SIB document and all the threads, I was told it couldn't be done. I called them again today again asking to speak with the forman, they FINALLY said they could do it so I'm taking the car in Monday to have software upgraded. It will cost me $236 (without tax and parts if any).

Anyways, I'm pretty happy about this and wondered what/how people are using this feature besides the obvious calling and recieving calls. I am going to be using my RAZR with cingular service in NYC. Couple questions below:

1) When recieving calls, does the radio/cd lower in volume and caller id show up in idrive screen?

Radio turns off from moment phone starts to ring until call in terminated

You can voice dial from car using button on steering wheel, however you will first need to program names into your car, seperate from those that you may have done on your Cell Phone

Yes, however with my Moto E 815, the telephone list on I-drive screen does not differentiate between mutiple phone numbers for the same person, i.e. home, office,cell phone. It will show the contact name 3 times with the appropriate number beside the name but it does not pick up which number means what. One way around this is when you program contacts into your cell phone, you create a seperate contact for each type of number such as BOB - Home, BOB -CELL, BOB - Work, this could be a pain if you have many people in your phone book. Perhaps things are better with the RAZ compared to the E 815, you will soon see.

I-Drive screen shows top 10 people you called, missed calls and received calls as well as active number that you may be on a call with or have on call waiting, and there is a redial prompt also.

thanks
Gene
Old 12-14-2005 | 12:54 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d (4/05) M Sport, Carbon black, Black dakota leather, Sport seats, Xenon, Navi prof, Hi-fi pack, AS, BT, PDC, Sunroof

yes
50 I think
yes
idrive displays sms with some phones
Old 12-14-2005 | 01:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

You've got all the answers there! These guys are good!!

Also you can tell it to dial a number. and speak the number.

You can also have it dial a Point of Interest off the NAV database.
Old 12-14-2005 | 01:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by gabman' post='211291
OK GANG!!!

Excellent combination.

Radio turns off from moment phone starts to ring until call in terminated

I don't recall if the caller ID shows up, but I don't think so. I receive very few calls.

You can voice dial from car using button on steering wheel, however you will first need to program names into your car, seperate from those that you may have done on your Cell Phone ???

When voice dialing, you must say the name exactly as it appear in your car, after uploading your phonebook to your car, regardless of the voice tag you use on your phone. And, you can use the button near the iDrive too.

Yes, however with my Moto E 815, the telephone list on I-drive screen does not differentiate between mutiple phone numbers for the same person, i.e. home, office,cell phone. It will show the contact name 3 times with the appropriate number beside the name but it does not pick up which number means what. One way around this is when you program contacts into your cell phone, you create a seperate contact for each type of number such as BOB - Home, BOB -CELL, BOB - Work, this could be a pain if you have many people in your phone book. Perhaps things are better with the RAZ compared to the E 815, you will soon see.

Great advice. You also can scroll using one of the steering wheel buttons.

I-Drive screen shows top 10 people you called, missed calls and received calls as well as active number that you may be on a call with or have on call waiting, and there is a redial prompt also.

I use these features. But, beyond what has been discussed, I use no other features. I am not a phone guy. You may find that the voice-command retarded person doesn't always understand properly spoken English very well. And, I have had few occassions to try, but I have never dialed a number successfully when inputting the number manually. I haven't figured out how to dial once the number is input. My dumb though. After inputting the number, the things that seem intuitive to me to dial haven't worked.

thanks
Gene
[/quote]
Old 12-14-2005 | 04:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 525i Titanium Silver Metalic and 2003 325xi Jet Black with the Premium Package in both cars.

VNOD is right on top of things, could'nt have said it better myself. I learned all of the above after experimenting a little when I set up the bluetooth.
Old 12-14-2005 | 05:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with Sport Pkg, Nav, HUD, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Shades

Originally Posted by gabman' post='211291' date='Dec 14 2005, 03:54 PM
You can voice dial from car using button on steering wheel, however you will first need to program names into your car, seperate from those that you may have done on your Cell Phone
Can you please explain how to do this? I am not able to find any option that will let you program names into the car. The names appear from the phone's phonebook. I don't think you can store names directly into the car. Someone correct me if I am mistaken.

EDIT: Just saw vnod's response too. Caller id does work. The name of of caller diaplay in the i-drive screen. (At least it does for me - always has)
Old 12-14-2005 | 06:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by JStraw' post='211384
Can you please explain how to do this? I am not able to find any option that will let you program names into the car. The names appear from the phone's phonebook. I don't think you can store names directly into the car. Someone correct me if I am mistaken.

My understanding is that numbers can be added directly to the car's A to Z list or at least some list, but I can't figure out why one would want to do so unless his or her phonebook won't upload properly. How do you figure it JS? dgjk mentioned at least the intention of doing so once. I think his phonebook wasn't uploading properly, but don't recall what the issue was for sure.

EDIT: Just saw vnod's response too. Caller id does work. The name of of caller diaplay in the i-drive screen. (At least it does for me - always has) I'll check to see if it works for me if any one ever calls me again. I am so shocked when my phone rings that I have to think about how to answer it, much less try to figure out who is calling me.
[/quote]
Old 12-14-2005 | 07:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by JStraw' post='211384

EDIT: Just saw vnod's response too. Caller id does work. The name of of caller diaplay in the i-drive screen. (At least it does for me - always has)
[/quote]

You can store names directly into the car up to 50 of them for voice dialing....

See post number 2

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=16937&hl=

Basically you say "Save Name"
Old 12-14-2005 | 07:08 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 2004530i' post='211281' date='Dec 14 2005, 04:42 PM
OK GANG!!!

4) What happens if you miss a call or get a message...will it show an envelope icon on idrive screen?

thanks
Gene
A very minor cool trick is forwarding one's home phone to cell phone/car. I have started doing so so I'll get a few calls. I might even talk to a telemarketer. But, you were probably asking about advanced cool tricks like video calling or teleconferencing. I have called my wife's cell phone when she is in the car. That's weird, but not cool unless one is a little retarded like me. Like Captain Kirk said--"too much LDS in the 60's."

Quick Reply: Any cool tricks to using bluetooth?