Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

535i 2009 iPhone snap-in adapter

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009 | 05:16 AM
Members

I just purchased a 2009 535i (Sports package, Premium package, Comfort Access, etc). I have an iPhone 3GS with OS V3.1.

I've been reading alot of posts concerning the iPhone 3G/3GS with regards to charging/not charging, and that horrible y-cable that comes with the 6FL option(standard). We all know it will not charge the iphone (Called the dealer and he read a bulletin that said Apple changed the charging protocal).

So I, like many others, have ventured out to obtain/install the iPhone 3G snap-in Adapter.

Click Here: iPhone 3G snap-in Adapter

I ordered the part number given to me by the dealer BM 84212158683, which is a different part number than what is listed on the website 84212158682. It should arrive today. I have an eject box already in the console.

I'll post from beginning to end, complete with install pics.

It's been very frustrating doing the research, reading so many forums, calling different businesses, etc. I'd like to contribute to this forum in this way.

Stay tuned, more to come.
Old 10-08-2009 | 04:23 AM
Members

Originally Posted by neocruz' post='1010065' date='Sep 17 2009, 09:16 AM
I just purchased a 2009 535i (Sports package, Premium package, Comfort Access, etc). I have an iPhone 3GS with OS V3.1.

I've been reading alot of posts concerning the iPhone 3G/3GS with regards to charging/not charging, and that horrible y-cable that comes with the 6FL option(standard). We all know it will not charge the iphone (Called the dealer and he read a bulletin that said Apple changed the charging protocal).

So I, like many others, have ventured out to obtain/install the iPhone 3G snap-in Adapter.

Click Here: iPhone 3G snap-in Adapter

I ordered the part number given to me by the dealer BM 84212158683, which is a different part number than what is listed on the website 84212158682. It should arrive today. I have an eject box already in the console.

I'll post from beginning to end, complete with install pics.

It's been very frustrating doing the research, reading so many forums, calling different businesses, etc. I'd like to contribute to this forum in this way.

Stay tuned, more to come.

Hello again. Sorry it took so long for me to get back to the forum. I've been pretty busy and have been working with two different dealerships on which parts I needed.

First of all, dealerships [Dallas, Tx] don't really understand technology. To make a long story short, I did not have the pieces I needed for the smart phone integration. The black box that comes in the car is simplyk a coin holder or some sort of "box." I did have to order a total of three parts - Eject box, Eject Box Trim, and IPhone 3G snap-in adapter. I followed the instructions on how to install the eject box from this site here. It was pretty easy. Once I was all finished, the iphone adapter DID charge the phone and I was using the shark fin antenna. However, iDrive COULD NOT SEE THE iPhone. Just my luck. If anyone want to see the detailed pics I took, just respond. I'm so disappointed, $350 later, several phone calls, 160 total miles of driving, 4 hours to install and troubleshoot because I thought I did something wrong. I will say that it looks cool though, and if BMW comes out with an adapter that works, I have the eject box installed already.

Rich
Old 10-08-2009 | 04:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530d M Sport Automatic, Le Mans Edition.Le Mans Blue Individual Paint Special, Syrah Blue Individual Leather, Piano Black Individual Interior Trim, Front seat heating,M Double Spoke 172 19

Originally Posted by neocruz' post='1010065' date='Sep 17 2009, 09:16 AM
If you enter either of those part numbers on RealOem.com,there are no results.However,if you enter the BMW part number for the snap in adaptor in the UK for the iPhone 3G you will also see USA applications which includes the 535i.The part number is 84 21 2 151 038.
Old 10-08-2009 | 05:08 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by neocruz' post='1027566' date='Oct 8 2009, 08:23 AM
Hello again. Sorry it took so long for me to get back to the forum. I've been pretty busy and have been working with two different dealerships on which parts I needed.

First of all, dealerships [Dallas, Tx] don't really understand technology. To make a long story short, I did not have the pieces I needed for the smart phone integration. The black box that comes in the car is simplyk a coin holder or some sort of "box." I did have to order a total of three parts - Eject box, Eject Box Trim, and IPhone 3G snap-in adapter. I followed the instructions on how to install the eject box from this site here. It was pretty easy. Once I was all finished, the iphone adapter DID charge the phone and I was using the shark fin antenna. However, iDrive COULD NOT SEE THE iPhone. Just my luck. If anyone want to see the detailed pics I took, just respond. I'm so disappointed, $350 later, several phone calls, 160 total miles of driving, 4 hours to install and troubleshoot because I thought I did something wrong. I will say that it looks cool though, and if BMW comes out with an adapter that works, I have the eject box installed already.

Rich
you might need some coding for the iphone to be visible in the idrive... i believe that snap in is supposed to let you see your songs and playlist from the idrive. im trying to get this but the dealer..sorrry correction, the stealers told me im unable to get this because the year of my car which is an 05 545i... which i dont understand since i have the bluetooth and bmw assist option already in my car.. just dont have navigation. most of the time some stealers dont know sh$T. but if anyone knows its possible let me know.
Old 10-08-2009 | 05:20 AM
Members

Originally Posted by 2exclusive' post='1027590' date='Oct 8 2009, 08:08 AM
you might need some coding for the iphone to be visible in the idrive... i believe that snap in is supposed to let you see your songs and playlist from the idrive. im trying to get this but the dealer..sorrry correction, the stealers told me im unable to get this because the year of my car which is an 05 545i... which i dont understand since i have the bluetooth and bmw assist option already in my car.. just dont have navigation. most of the time some stealers dont know sh$T. but if anyone knows its possible let me know.
Here are a couple of pics of the parts I used - that the "stealer" gave me. LOL I love it. And I did continue to ask them if I needed anything else. Of course the answer was "no, you don't." My favorite is "Just bring it in and let us look at at." Also, the part numbers changed to the part numbers shown.

Attachment 91832
Attachment 91833
Attachment 91834

When I drove to the dealer, because it was difficult getting support over the phone, they let me try the Iphone adapter (Part# 84212158682) listed on the bmwusa.com site. When the iphone is in the cradle, and with music playing, with iPhone snap-in adapter part# *683, there was no sound at all. With iPhone snap-in adapter part# *682, I could hear music coming from the iPhone speaker. Never from the car speakers.
Old 10-08-2009 | 06:51 AM
Members

Originally Posted by neocruz' post='1027595' date='Oct 8 2009, 09:20 AM
Here are a couple of pics of the parts I used - that the "stealer" gave me. LOL I love it. And I did continue to ask them if I needed anything else. Of course the answer was "no, you don't." My favorite is "Just bring it in and let us look at at." Also, the part numbers changed to the part numbers shown.
Here are the pics:

535i 2009 iPhone snap-in adapter-bmwejectbox.jpg
535i 2009 iPhone snap-in adapter-bmwejectboxtrim.jpg
535i 2009 iPhone snap-in adapter-bmwiphoneadapter.jpg
Old 10-08-2009 | 07:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

I wish this was possible on the earlier E60s (2004 545i)