Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

2004 525 Bottom line on Phones

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 01:01 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to point out the obvious to you, Mr Guest, but comments such as:

"The E60 is a REALLY screwed-up vehicle"; and
"Lesson is: STAY AWAY FROM THE E60. Far far away";

from Abe's original post cannot be entirely explained away by a non-functioning Bluetooth option in the US market. Hence my questioning what his agenda really is.

Most people who use this board do so to share facts in order to help one another, taking a positive attitude towards the product and towards each other. Of course, any product as complex as an E60 will have defects and I personally welcome constructive criticism that helps me get the best out of my car.

All this personal nonsense just reflects badly on the sender and turns the board into a real bore for everyone else. If you feel you must flame, go to Roadfly!
Old 02-08-2004, 01:27 AM
Members

Have to second E60-530d-London here, HonestAbe's post was aggressive and confrontational rather than just getting on with helpful facts like most of the people on the this board.

There are a surprising amount of things on a US E60 which are down to goverment or legal requirements i.e. startup screen, air bag light etc. I wouldn't be surprised if the bluetooth issue was somehow related to this as well, seems the only country that can't get bluetooth is the USA. And what's the score with the rear reflectors on US models

My new car is sitting in the dealer and I actually got my new T610 working with it when I was in past last week, works really well and I'd recommend it to anyone. If it's important to you in the USA either wait till it becomes available or look elsewhere.
Old 02-08-2004, 02:00 AM
Members

Garry - I have the T610 as well. Did you order the snap-in adapter? Works v.well especially with the external antenna!
Old 02-08-2004, 02:50 AM
520i next Wednesday!

GarryF

That little startup screen would irritate the h*ll out of my (not having it here likely reduces overall tendencies to road rage, and vice versa)

but
the US model does have ONE thing that we don't have, thanks to the EU, apparently, and that is progressive brake lights (or whatver the exact term is).

I find it patently ridiculous that it is actually against the law to implement (software switch only) something that is extremely clever: brake lights that get brighter based on pedal pressure / urgency of braking - this type of additional warning to drivers behind you must certainly be of value.

cheers
Old 02-08-2004, 03:00 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW 316ti, 2004 BMW 530d, 2006 BMW 530xd, 2013 BMW 320d touring, 2014 BMW 520d touring, 2016 BMW X5, 2020 BMW 320da touring, 2020 BMW 540i
Model Year: 1974
Engine: Flat six
Talking

It's just a question of time. The european 5 series are ready to use it, when the time arrives you can go to your dealer and they will switch on that system.
Old 02-08-2004, 03:23 AM
520i next Wednesday!

Tuga - I understand that. My point is that legislation that actually results in going AGAINST a safety feature is patently ridiculous.

It is an excellent safety feature... sort of like daytime running lights in Canada. In 1991 I bought a new car (a Prelude): that model year was the first under new legislation requiring that daytime running lights switch on automatically when you start the car (front lights, white... my car used it's foglights, vehicles without used regular low-beams).

The reason was a great one: visibility. And it works - it is so much easier to see an oncoming vehicle, in the daytime and particularly when driving direction: sun, when they have fron white lights on. Not sure if the US does this, but we don't here in the UK and Europe: why not?
Old 02-08-2004, 03:34 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW 316ti, 2004 BMW 530d, 2006 BMW 530xd, 2013 BMW 320d touring, 2014 BMW 520d touring, 2016 BMW X5, 2020 BMW 320da touring, 2020 BMW 540i
Model Year: 1974
Engine: Flat six
Talking

We have to be patient.
When the burocrats do their paper work then we can use it.
No questions in the security, it's far more safer.
But there are other things around that question, there aren't many suppliers working with that technology, ........ maybe someone is delaying the issue .... or just burocracy.
Old 02-08-2004, 05:11 AM
HonestAbe

Originally Posted by GarryF' date='Feb 8 2004, 04:27 AM
Have to second E60-530d-London here, HonestAbe's post was aggressive and confrontational rather than just getting on with helpful facts like most of the people on the this board.

There are a surprising amount of things on a US E60 which are down to goverment or legal requirements i.e. startup screen, air bag light etc. I wouldn't be surprised if the bluetooth issue was somehow related to this as well, seems the only country that can't get bluetooth is the USA. And what's the score with the rear reflectors on US models

My new car is sitting in the dealer and I actually got my new T610 working with it when I was in past last week, works really well and I'd recommend it to anyone. If it's important to you in the USA either wait till it becomes available or look elsewhere.
Yes, there are items on the E60 which are included to meet regulatory requirements in the US. EVERY automaker must satisfy these requirements, yet none appear to have the myriad of problems that BMW has with its E60.

It is easy for some product loyalists to attack the intentions of those who point out these flaws, rather than face the obvious inadequacies in their vehicle.

The problems that the E60 suffers from (in the USA) are quite many. Individuals have purchased vehicles well in excess of $60,000 only to find they have few of the options promised in BMW advertising, multiple annoyances, and issues with quality control. Most (except BMW salespeople and apologists) would find these ample reason to look elsewhere.

So I will state again what should be obvious: STAY AWAY FROM THIS VEHICLE, until BMW decices to fix these many problems.
Old 02-08-2004, 06:19 AM
Members

Abe

Did you buy an E60? Did the dealer over-promise and under-deliver? If this is the case, then I completely understand your position!
Old 02-08-2004, 01:52 PM
Members

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
My Ride: 530i base, blue with saddle leather
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Sounds like HonestAbe /Guest/Esteemed Guest were all the same.

For what it's worth, the E60 Board on Roadfly is starting to police itself, but certainly the flames are still greater there than here. Some good people there, in any case; but the occasional HonestAbe type flamer still comes up. Much prefer here.

There are certain E60 owners who have legitmate complaints. The list, in fact, is fairly limited; possibly less than 10 items keep coming up on the Boards. Most of them are annoyances ("don't like the airbag light"); perhaps a couple of them are real problems ("CD resets to zero when restarted"). Nothing catastrophic.

Most useful info is provided by owners. Less useful info is provided by those with opinions but no ownership.

There is continuing frustration with options not available, but only a few feel the sky is falling because they can't get them, like HonestAbe. It's only a car, after all. My recommendation is to ignore him or tell him simply to go away.

For most Americans, let me apologize for his rudeness.

My E60 has performed outstandingly well in the two months I've had it, and I'm very pleased with my decision. Hope all the other E60 owners are pleased also.

Best---

Quick Reply: 2004 525 Bottom line on Phones