Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

"No entries" in phone book/contacts after sync

Old 09-08-2012, 09:13 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My iPhone 4 had been working great in my 2011 535i until I upgraded the software on the phone. Now the phone will sync and I can make calls, but the phone book says "no entries" when I try and look up a number using the iDrive knob. Any solutions?
Old 09-08-2012, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

try deleting your phone via idrive and then repairing...might end up redownloading your contacts...
Old 09-09-2012, 03:09 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
try deleting your phone via idrive and then repairing...might end up redownloading your contacts...
+2 - When in doubt remove and reinstall. Never had this problem with any of my phone contacts transferring to my BMWs via BT - but I've not caught the "i" bug .... that said, if there are a lot of contacts it could take some time before they appear.

It does seem odd there are (so many) issues with iPhone address books transferring via BMW BT connections ... everyone knows that Apple has arranged for all personal information on its devices to be uploaded to Apple servers for sale to the IRS, CIA, FBI, and Wikipedia
Old 09-09-2012, 08:39 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
Yes, I did that first. In fact I had to treat it like a new phone that had never been synced. I've deleted it several times, but no luck. Thanks for your reply.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:48 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td
+2 - When in doubt remove and reinstall. Never had this problem with any of my phone contacts transferring to my BMWs via BT - but I've not caught the "i" bug .... that said, if there are a lot of contacts it could take some time before they appear.

It does seem odd there are (so many) issues with iPhone address books transferring via BMW BT connections ... everyone knows that Apple has arranged for all personal information on its devices to be uploaded to Apple servers for sale to the IRS, CIA, FBI, and Wikipedia
Yes, when I updated my iPhone software to the latest version, I lost all of my contacts on my phone and had to restore from a three year old backup, so only had about 2/3 of my needed contacts. The first time I drove after that, my lost phone entries were still in the car's system. I wish I had not paired the updated phone because I could have at least seen and possibly written down all of my contacts that had been lost. When I paired the updated phone, it functions, but doesn't recognize any of my phone book entries. Do you think they can fix it at the BMW dealership?
Old 09-09-2012, 10:05 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ToothSleuth
Yes, when I updated my iPhone software to the latest version, I lost all of my contacts on my phone and had to restore from a three year old backup, so only had about 2/3 of my needed contacts. The first time I drove after that, my lost phone entries were still in the car's system. I wish I had not paired the updated phone because I could have at least seen and possibly written down all of my contacts that had been lost. When I paired the updated phone, it functions, but doesn't recognize any of my phone book entries. Do you think they can fix it at the BMW dealership?
First off I really don't think it's a BMW issue ... I think it's an APPLE/iPhone issue.

Whenever you rebuild your contacts on the phone isn't there some way your smartphone is AUTOMATICALLY and SYSTEMATICALLY backed up to the "cloud" - after all, the APPLE devices are supposed to be smart?? For comparison, Android phone contacts are are auto-synched to a gmail account - any changes to the gmail contact list is AUTOSYNCHED to the phone and visa versa). Even if you replace the phone all you have to do is designate the same gmail account and wam bam pow - your contact list is right there on your phone!! And it works - I've had three Android phones in the past 3 years and never never never had to rebuild my contact list and not a single one was ever lost.

And even if you don't have that feature your cellular provider might have a free on line back-up tool -- I know Verizon does - even for 'dumb phones'.

Really sorry you're having all these problems with an iPhone. I heard that they are really phenomenal devices but maybe those stories are overstated.