Archived Sales A read only forum of all past vendor sales.

▀▄ eas | GIAC - Stage1 ECU Power Upgrade for e60 535i

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 09:44 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LATEST RELEASE for 135/335/535 OEM STYLE ECU REFLASH

As an authorized GIAC installation facility, we are happy to be your premier choice for software tuning in Southern California.

GIAC USA, (Irvine, CA) have recently released their Stage 1 (S1) N54 535i ECU flash upgrade. The software upgrade is electronically installed with no hardware components and uploaded into the stock ECU through the OBD2 port.

GIAC has been calibrating ECU software for the aftermarket for over 14 years and their reputation in the Porsche, Audi, VW and Bentley market speaks for itself. GIAC have been writing proprietary custom software for all VF-Engineering supercharger and turbocharger systems since Dec 2000. GIAC have been in the background of the BMW aftermarket since the late 90s with their NA tunes for the older E39 540 and E36 M3s. Their software powers are most popular kit to date : the VF stage3 E46 M3 supercharger taking power from 275 to 600whp on 91 octane.

After 2 years of continuous testing on their in house 335 as well as many other models, GIAC engineers rigorously disassembled and recalibrated the different versions of OEM software with the various anti-tuner defeat code using their own proprietary methodology. The GIAC software is designed to work on a complete stock to a fully loaded 1/3/535 using upgraded intercooler, bypass valves, exhaust etc. All testing is performed with 91 octane at the GIAC laboratory on their Mustang AWD-MD500 dyno cell. This allows them to perform road simulation to drag race type scenarios. Their extensive use of diagnostic equipment to monitor the vehicles critical sensors is part of the key to creating a reliable yet powerful software upgrade.

Chip tuning is the term commonly used to describe re-tuning the ECU (Electronic Control Unit). The ECU is re-programmed to re-calibrate for a change in engine dynamics, such as ignition timing, knock control, airflow increase, and air / fuel mixture etc. GIAC's engineers work extensively to test and monitor engine operation parameters using diagnostic tools. A vast array of data is collected and used by GIAC engineers to re-write ECU code using their own assembly algorithms and libraries and not using generic tuning programs.

Modern chip tuning methods from GIAC include serial programming, bench flashing and flashed chip switching. Serial programming is where the new software is electronically overwritten on the OEM software through the OBD2 diagnostic port. Bench flashing is the process by which the ECU can be plugged into a computer out of the car, for the chip to be electronically flashed-in. Chip switching allows the user to choose which program to run by using a handset plugged into the OBD2 port. Different programs would be desirable for example with high octane race gas.

Since BMW released the N54 3.0-liter twin-turbo engine, piggyback controllers have been the medium of choice for extracting extra power and torque for one simple reason, the inability to penetrate the Siemens DME defenses and manipulate the MSD80/81 software. But the downside of the piggyback method is that it works in conjunction with the factory software, so if there's a flaw, it can't be corrected. During development of its aftermarket flash-based software, GIAC discovered that at full throttle, the throttle body did not fully open during higher rpm-a common technique employed by BMW to limit horsepower. With this software the throttle can open wide, allowing more air to enter the combustion chamber and producing power all the way to redline.

The software tuning process is instrumental for the efficient and reliable operation of the N54 engine equipped with the Biturbo system GIAC performance software for the 2009+ 535i smoothly delivers a 40-80 hp and 60-90 ft-lbs gain. For optimum performance the software must be coupled with exhaust.

GIAC has the tools, experience, knowledge and diligence to create software packages that will draw out the optimum performance in all BMW applications offered. Success is achieves with these platforms by spending the time with them on their in-house Mustang dyno, monitoring the performance, driveablilty, and a host of sensors and other parameters. All programs feature full recalibration for all driving conditions, which GIAC can replicate at their test facility in Irvine CA. GIAC's during development while using the Mustang dyno, GIAC can run emulators, scopes, serial diagnostic tools and air/fuel meters on a car while simulating driving it up and down hills, blast through a quarter mile race, or just run simple power pulls.

GIAC have been established in the BMW, AUDI, Porsche and VW industry for almost 10 years and support leading products in each market and designed with the most aggressive enthusiast in mind. Here are just a few of the items addressed during the tuning process.

Features
- Torque maps have been recalibrated to insure that extra power generated by increased boost, optimized injection timing and duration is smooth and without hesitation or interruption
- Completely reversible, "zero" physical modifications
- Retains all factory safety protocols, including critical safety modules like ABS
- Top speed limiter is removed
- No tuner or shadow codes present
- 100% compatible with all diagnostic software or tools
- Increased Throttle/Pedal response

Programmer connected to OBD II port

Below as an example for the E60 owners, we have tested an e60 535 equipped with Steptronic transmission. This car was dyned completely stock with stock exhaust on 91 octane on VD Engineering's in house Dynojet 224 for a stock read. then flashed with the GIAC software. The car was then run on the dyno immediately after.

Below are the results:
Peak power increased from 266 whp to 308 whp (at the rear wheels at 96 DegF - 535 Automatic - 91 octane)
Peak torque increased from 269 wtq to 337 wtq (at the rear wheels at 96 DegF - 535 Automatic - 91 octane)
Boost increased from 8.2 to 13.5 psi

Max power increase: 62 whp at 4400 rpm
Max torque increase: 74 wheel torque at 3100 rpm

Note: this is an automatic on CA 91 octane!

power/torque

torque/boost

6SPD-equipped e60s will show higher results, dynos will be posted as they are received.

GIAC - Stage1 ECU Power Upgrade for 535i - $800
http://www.europeanautosource.com/product_...roducts_id=2470

Note: Price includes return Next Day Air shipping for a quick turnaround. If you have never removed the DME before please let us know and we will gladly assist by sharing detailed removal instructions. The process is very easy and should take no more than 10-15 minutes. For those located near our facility, flash updating via OBDII is available on site.

Models Supported
2009+ e60 535i

Bonus: All in-house or bench-flashed will receive a complimentary Macht Schnell N54B30 High Performance Panel Filter as our way of saying thank you.

Feel free to contact me directly if you should have any questions, would like to make arrangements to have your DME shipped to us or schedule an appointment for on-site flashing.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 535i, A/T & Paddle Shifters, AW, NB Leather, Sport, Premium, Nav, 6FL

I'd like to thank Tom & Steve for getting my 535i reflashed last friday. You guys went the extra mile to get everything done right.

Am loving the GIAC Reflash over the JB3! The car pulls as hard but more refined. The gas pedal feels like it has a sprint booster since the lag was gone and alot of low end torque. Everytime i get a chance to gun it i go Car's crazy scary fast. I can't even imagine testing out the speed limiter defeat @ 155mph. This tune is a must for all 535i owners and I highly recommend EAS for you guys who's in the verge of getting it. On top of the great customer service I experienced, EAS also offers FREE reflah back to stock on every dealer visit (a $50 value) everytime.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

nice J...congrats...

free re-flash, nice ....Tom...any timeline on the hand held switcher?
Old 02-07-2010, 02:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 535i, A/T & Paddle Shifters, AW, NB Leather, Sport, Premium, Nav, 6FL

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
nice J...congrats...

free re-flash, nice ....Tom...any timeline on the hand held switcher?
Thanks!

Tom advised that I don't need to get it reflashed back to stock on dealer visit since the tune will be undetected. Although, EAS will still do it for free upon request. I also wanted to wait for the switcher but I can't hold off any longer. I can't stand the car stock. RPI exhaust here I come...
Old 02-07-2010, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by jcool10181
Thanks!

Tom advised that I don't need to get it reflashed back to stock on dealer visit since the tune will be undetected. Although, EAS will still do it for free upon request. I also wanted to wait for the switcher but I can't hold off any longer. I can't stand the car stock. RPI exhaust here I come...
looking forward to sounds clips...plans on dyno'ing?

agreed it's undetecable, it's the "feel" that might tip an SA that it's tuned..but highly doubt that would happen anyway, the switcher would be more for peace of mind
Old 02-07-2010, 05:41 PM
Contributors

agreed it's undetecable, it's the "feel" that might tip an SA that it's tuned..but highly doubt that would happen anyway, the switcher would be more for peace of mind
I'll dyno when i get the rpi exhaust sometime in the future. I still need to hear it in person before i jump the gun.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:42 PM
e6t
Senior Members

how is it not detectable?
Old 02-09-2010, 12:47 PM
Contributors

because there is no physical piggy back, it installs via obdII port....they would have to manually go through the code of the ecu to tell if it is indeed modded.....at least this is my knowledge of the situation...
Old 02-09-2010, 06:24 PM
e6t
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rkhettry23
because there is no physical piggy back, it installs via obdII port....they would have to manually go through the code of the ecu to tell if it is indeed modded.....at least this is my knowledge of the situation...
seems like there would be the equivalent of a "last date modified" attached to the code that would be a simple indication that the code had been manipulated... I really have no idea... Im just curious.

Maybe a call to GIAC is in order.