7 Series Discussion A place for 7 series owners and those curious.

Calling all puter guru's! Shopping new

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 03:44 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, you want a base-line system, if you are looking for a laptop and are in California, I am a licensed reseller (I am an exec in a consulting firm) We generally are not after hardware sales, we offer it as a courtesy.

I can get Asus Laptops for folks at-cost (or with shipping at cost if necessary) shoot me a PM and I will do my best to help.

I have not posted previously, and my current plan is to keep reading, but things look great so far.

--L
Old 07-02-2009, 11:27 PM
Members

Originally Posted by STRTWYZ' post='905816' date='Jun 9 2009, 06:42 PM
What?s up folks?! Gotta consult with my Bimmer-Fam! My desktop is really dragging booty and it?s pretty outdated. Looking to upgrade but for something I can grow in to rather than out of. I know a bunch of you are pretty puter savvy and would like some suggestions or even links to what?s hot now-a-days. Not much of a gamer but do play ? not online though. Would love to be able to click and it pops up instantly, quick start up and log off. I have a 22? LCD at work and kinda used to it.

Looks like a lot of home units are coming equipped with Vista and according to my IT guys at work, Vista is a hog and can bog down a unit. Isn?t this where the processor comes in? Looks like there?s 2.66 or even higher up to 3 for gigabyt?s?

What I use a desktop for:

1) Work, spreadsheets, Excel, Word, VPN etc.
2) Photo software Photoshop or equal to
3) Music ? I have over 3,000 songs in my itunes library.
4) Gaming. Not a lot but could be more if the puter is fast.
5) Would like to get in to video editing in the future.
6) "educational" videos.

Let me have it folks! Not trying to break the bank ? I?m thinking less than a ?G? and more than 7-hundough would be good?

Thanks guys!
E

dont get a dell or any other pre packaged computer. if you have access to someone who can build you a pc to your spec then you should go that route. the components can be purchased at newegg.com very cheaply and quickly received. whatever you do you probably should look at a current gen intel processor since they rule the roost now. amd can be had much cheaper but not at equal perfomance [important for games]. swing by some of the enthusiast sites like maximum pc of anandtech to see the recommendations for full systems or components. memory is cheap so I suggest AT LEAST 2 gigs and likely if its intel cpu on a tri channel motherboard getting 3-6 gigs. it makes a big difference. vista with its current 2 service packs isnt the dog that it was and windows 7 is on the horizon for 10/22/09. having a desktop and a dell laptop [hence the anti dell stance, poor customer service, hard to upgrade their desktops] and a macbook pro I will say that you can run vista and later on the mac AND the mac os as a dual boot system but your gaming may suffer. seriously you should check the enthusiast sites and make a call afterwards.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:31 AM
Members

My Ride: broddews73

There is a sticky thread in the series discussion section that links all the summer series..tell me if you have any more trouble finding things..
Old 11-16-2009, 05:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See sig :)

+1 for PC, Mac pffft
Old 11-16-2009, 05:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Mac all the way! I have a 24" iMac and have never had any problems, I have over 36k songs in my iTunes and 11k pix... And ive also never had a problem w sigs being too larrge.... Also pairs very nicely w my iPhone
Old 11-16-2009, 06:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by STRTWYZ' post='905816' date='Jun 9 2009, 04:42 PM
What I use a desktop for:
1) Work, spreadsheets, Excel, Word, VPN etc.
3) Music ? I have over 3,000 songs in my itunes library.
4) Gaming. Not a lot but could be more if the puter is fast.
6) "educational" videos.
Given your needs, especially items:

I suggest getting a Mac