7 Series Discussion A place for 7 series owners and those curious.

2009 750li versus 750i

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 04:34 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

I am coming out of a 2006 550i after about 10,000 more miles. I have decided to get the new 7 series for more room. My last two 5's were fantastic cars but I need more room. I have been in many L version 7's but have not been in the back seat of a non L in a very long time. does anyone have information on the leg room difference. I know the car is stretched about 5.5 inches all in the back seat, but how much more leg room is there than the 5'er? Any links to pictures of the rear seat of a 750i versus Li would be great. Unfortunately in the small town I am in our dealer does not get many 750i's to look at. I guess mostly Li's are purchased.

FYI, I want the sport package equipped car and I suppose the shorter wheelbase will be a bit sportier.

Thanks
Old 01-20-2009, 06:12 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by markt540i' post='772983' date='Jan 20 2009, 07:34 PM
I am coming out of a 2006 550i after about 10,000 more miles. I have decided to get the new 7 series for more room. My last two 5's were fantastic cars but I need more room. I have been in many L version 7's but have not been in the back seat of a non L in a very long time. does anyone have information on the leg room difference. I know the car is stretched about 5.5 inches all in the back seat, but how much more leg room is there than the 5'er? Any links to pictures of the rear seat of a 750i versus Li would be great. Unfortunately in the small town I am in our dealer does not get many 750i's to look at. I guess mostly Li's are purchased.

FYI, I want the sport package equipped car and I suppose the shorter wheelbase will be a bit sportier.

Thanks
I just picked up a 750li I came out of a 5 series for the same reason. I needed more room. The leg room difference between the Li and i is greatly difference. With the i you might as well keep your 550. My kids feet don't even come close to touching the back of the seats. dont waste your time with the 750i get the Li.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See sig :)

Li definantly has more room than just the i models, not only that they look better go with the li's!
Old 01-20-2009, 06:45 PM
Senior Members

Day and night difference between rear leg room from the I to Li. It almost feels like the jump from Economy car to Limo.

If you were considering an I, I would rather just get a regular 5 or an M5. It doesnt make sense to me to get a big car, if its not the big one.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:46 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tbal' post='773087' date='Jan 20 2009, 07:29 PM
Li definantly has more room than just the i models, not only that they look better go with the li's!
The top window line on the back doors of the I's looks way tooo slanted to me.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See sig :)

I's just dont look right, your right, you might as well get a 5 than lol
Old 01-21-2009, 11:31 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07' 550i sport; Sapphire Black/Auburn; sport package; steptronic; navigation with R.T.T.I.; heads up; cold weather package; Logic-7; BMW MOST ipod kit; Motorola V3 snap-in adapter; rear heated seats and rear shades; anthracite headliner; sirrius sat. radio; M-aero kit; OEM style 166 Wheels with 245/35-19 front and 285/30-19 rear Michelin PS2s.

Originally Posted by markt540i' post='772983' date='Jan 20 2009, 08:34 PM
Sounds like you prioritize handling. Any long wheel based 7 prioritizes the comfort of its passengers over the driving joy of the driver (a point somewhat illustrated by the larger rear doors on an Li). The short wheel based 7 tips the scales ever so slightly in favor of the driver. With the i you get the status of a 7, the ride quality of a 7, the features of a 7 and...perceptibly better handling (at least with every 7 to date). In fact, it used to be that the sport package for the short car was stiffer than the sport package for the long car (the Li sport package has always been more of an esthetics only sport package anyway).

I have a 550 and its room is 'adequate' for my needs. I can't speak to the interior of the 09' 7, but the E65 750i didn't have much more leg room in the back than the 550 does. But the 7 is more comfortable b/c there is more width to the car (better knee room - no contact with the door unlike the 550), more shoulder room as well as more head room. The difference is that in the Li ANYONE will have room in front of their knees, where in the i, any rear seat passenger has "enough" room that their knees won't hit the back of the front seats (if they're not reclined excessively).

Ask yourself this. Since its a significant expense for BMW to have two chassis (i and Li), right? Why does the i exist? Simple: the i is for drivers and the Li is for chauffeur purposes. As usual, U.S. buyers sort of lost the plot. Even though very few people get chauffeured in a 7 in the U.S. (which is not the case in S. America, Europe and Asia), american buyers flock to the long wheel base car. From my experience, these U.S. Li buyers simply do not understand/or care that there is a price to pay for the additional space in the form of diminished handling feel and abilities. We're conditioned to believe that bigger is automatically better.

When I had a short wheel based 7, some of my friends asked if I had opted for the "smaller" car to save money!! Those that asked were shocked when I told them the price difference between the long and short car is essentially the cost of 1 option. Our country has many strong points (which will hopefully help to pull us out of this recession), understanding the nuances of european performance automobiles is definitely NOT one of them.

Still, no 7 has had four wheel steering before.... Test them both and see if you feel the difference behind the wheel. I certainly did with the E65s and E38s.

Good luck. I Hope this was of some help.
DRP
Old 01-21-2009, 11:45 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 550isport' post='773748
Ask yourself this. Since its a significant expense for BMW to have two chassis (i and Li), right? Why does the i exist? Simple: the i is for drivers and the Li is for chauffeur purposes.
DRP
I never thought about it like that, but in my opinion, thats the best explanation I have ever seen.

DRP is the man!
Old 01-21-2009, 10:03 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2003 760li

imo if you want a i stick with a 5, if you want a car with more leg room get a li. iirc the li is 5 inches longer in the rear thus making the rear doors longer and better looking.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

Thanks for the comments. All have been very helpful. Performance is very important, but I hate to buy a new car and have the same rear leg room I have now. Reading about the new 7 I think performance will be very good in both Li or i form. 550sport brings up great points. I am obviously the typical American, bigger is better. For that reason I will likely get the Li. LOL. I wonder about the sport package. With the adjustable suspension, is the sport package really worth nearly $5,000. You can upgrade wheels for a couple grand. I guess I will have to look at that more closely. Very good points on the over all additional room, not just more leg room. That will be nice, as the shoulder and head room in the 5 is a bit too intimate when you have passengers. Hopefully our dealer will get an i for me to look at. It seems almost silly not to get the Li though since I am looking for more room. One encourging thing is the 4 wheel steering. My Dad has an '07 Li and when he parks in tight spaces I can tell the turn radius is not that good. I assume the active steering in the 7 is the same as in my 550i, which I love. The ease of turning at low speeds will spoil you and makes steering all other non active steering cars seem almost sluggish at low speeds and requires so much "work" with the steering wheel. It is hard to describe if you have never driven active steering. I plan to get the HUD too. I love it in my 5.

Thank again for your help.

Quick Reply: 2009 750li versus 750i